• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

strange SMSL M500 high 3rd harmonic

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No a fix was created by Liu and adopted by SMSL as a correct fix. The fact Liu is not here anymore is rather disappointing as he is a very knowledgeable person in this field. So much so companies like SMSL, Sabaj, Loxjie and even Topping would benefit from having him as an employee or external contractor. I think some of his comments were taken the wrong way, there is often a consideration of 2nd language that should be taken into account. It's not unusual for translation from Asian based languages to come across as a bit direct when converted to English. Being from Australia, close to SE Asia and Asia, I am more used to this, whereas others may not be I suppose. That said I have no tolerance for racism, however I don't believe that was his intention here and without his investigation none of us would be the wiser at this stage.

Agree 100%, in fact it's been over a month since this issue was identified... my SU9 is still boxed and I'd like to be able to use it.

@SMSL-Mandy & @SMSL_Liu, is it possible for customers to load this firmware onto or via their own JTag device? I have no desire to wait for SMSL to send a "tool" by post, rather just send me the firmware data and am happy to purchase a $20 tool to achieve the update.

JSmith
No. He's total BS.

JSmith

Master Contributor
No. He's total BS.
I won't go into this, apart from saying it's best not to post things to members who have left that they cannot respond to... as they have no right of reply.

Shenzhenaudio (SU9) and SMSL (M500) have known for over a month now what the issue is and how to fix same, so I certainly expect something to happen on this soon... or they're going to have a warehouse full of returned products and a lot of pissed off customers.

Further the work done on this by Prof. Wolf is also greatly appreciated, especially his professional approach.

JSmith

Reactions: nhs

chefffe

It is not the point that the SU9 is broken and unusable. As mentioned I dont even hear the issue, but just to know that there is "something" which is against the ASR test result (instrument grade) is not making me happy. I could still return it to Amazon but the device is the best DAC yet which feeds all my needs at a reasonable price 399€.

nhs

It is not the point that the SU9 is broken and unusable. As mentioned I dont even hear the issue, but just to know that there is "something" which is against the ASR test result (instrument grade) is not making me happy. I could still return it to Amazon but the device is the best DAC yet which feeds all my needs at a reasonable price .
Do you really want to buy a DAC like SMSL SU-9 with SINAD about -75db for 399€?

chefffe

Do you really want to buy a DAC like SMSL SU-9 with SINAD about -75db for 399€?
Thats the point ... I would not buy it now but I have it already. Do you know any other with big screen showing input port huge, great BT function and outstanding DAC function? Additionally I guess we dont need yet to lose hope that SMSL will take care at least about SU9 users.

aandres_gm

Thats the point ... I would not buy it now but I have it already. Do you know any other with big screen showing input port huge, great BT function and outstanding DAC function? Additionally I guess we dont need yet to lose hope that SMSL will take care at least about SU9 users.
Thing is, the DAC functionality is not outstanding at all on anything but mono signals. At that point, the ports, bluetooth, etc becomes irrelevant, because all the signals must go through the DAC.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I would think so.

nhs

Thing is, the DAC functionality is not outstanding at all on anything but mono signals. At that point, the ports, bluetooth, etc becomes irrelevant, because all the signals must go through the amp.
Exactly what I like to say, if the DAC performs worse stereo signals, we needn't to talk about other things the SU-9 offers.

chefffe

Just checked my Amazon return status and only one day left :eek:

I clicked ... return ... and will ship it back on monday :facepalm: ... the 75db Sinad Argument is too hard ...
I bought now AGAIN the Loxije D30 as it is the next best compromise with good sound and big readable screen, just the BT is mediocre.

If SMSL brings out a new revision of SU9 I will immediately sell the Loxije again.

N

nhatlam96

I hope SMSL will provide a good solution for M500, otherwise I'm returning it and never buy from them again. I will wait 1 month.

N

nhatlam96

Just checked my Amazon return status and only one day left :eek:

That doesn't matter. Even after the return period you can easily contact Amazon support and tell them you got scammed, because SMSL knows about this for several weeks now

chefffe

I did it now, then I have the "power" to act regarding the treatment of smsl, not the opposite. They can deliver fixed ones, I buy it again.

N

nhatlam96

Hold up guys, aren't we overreacting?
Look at this quote:
The issue only occurs when left channel is playing different audio compared to the right audio --- When L and R are both playing sine wave at the same volume, it's quite normal.
Does that mean, if we play music normally, this problem won't affect us at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

dpippel

Hold up guys, aren't we overreacting?
Look at this quote:

Does that mean, if I play music normally, this problem won't affect me at all?

Not at all. It means that the problem is only absent when both the left and right channels are playing the SAME audio. In other words, a mono source. The problem is there whenever you're playing a stereo source, which for most people is 99.9999999% of the time.

Top Bottom