• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Strange effect with a particular IEM

eeeper

Background:
In the last two years I've collected a few IEMs and three over the ear headphones running through a couple sources, on my laptop I use a topping d50 and a l30 headphone amp. I love switching between them (IEMS,headphones) to enjoy different music genres, plus its just fun.

Problem:
Got a mystery box purchase, a bgvp vg4. Decent enough but never really used it much so when I found it in my "extras" box a few days ago and gave it whirl. Within a minute I began feeling nausea and sick. Took them out then went and laid down to relax as I was starting to feel panic rising. I thought it might be a coincidence and ignored it could be IEM related.

Then I tried them again yesterday. Same thing happened. I tried eq'ing it to see if it was a frequency range causing issues because I'm a little treble sensitive but had to stop my investigation because breakfast started knocking on the door to get out.

Doesn't happen on any other IEM I have, cheap or expensive, or headphone. Same source I listen to day in and day out with no issues.

Any thoughts on why this is happening? I'm baffled.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some sort of psychosomatic response to music you're listening. My wife hates repetitive beats and gets nausea and anxiety from dance music.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Perhaps the iems are wired out of phase.
Search for pink noise test tracks, one of which is correlated noise, the other decorrelated.
The former should provide a centered acoustic image, the latter should image very wide.

If my hypothesis is correct, the correlated noise track should sound like the decorrelated track...

OP
E

eeeper

Some sort of psychosomatic response to music you're listening. My wife hates repetitive beats and gets nausea and anxiety from dance music.
I was playing the same song to see the difference between iems. That's why I'm puzzled.

OP
E

eeeper

Perhaps the iems are wired out of phase.
Search for pink noise test tracks, one of which is correlated noise, the other decorrelated.
The former should provide a centered acoustic image, the latter should image very wide.

If my hypothesis is correct, the correlated noise track should sound like the decorrelated track...
I'll give it a try when I'm done with work.

Top Bottom