• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Straight DC via tone selectors?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Read a bit about the first amplifier I had in my younger teens, the Technics SU -V3. Nothing strange until I saw the big brother SU-V5 and noted the straight DC function. What I wonder is what is it? Is it the predecessor to the Pure Direct switch and the CD Direct? Is the Straight DC via tone selectors a function to disconnect the tone controls or is it something else?

Screenshot_2022-11-11_073029.jpg

Edit:
I found this now::)
"A low-noise FET differential amplifier is used in the first stage of the phono equalizer. Both MM and MC are ICL equalizers that eliminate input capacitors. Therefore, when the operation mode is set to straight DC, there is only one coupling capacitor (output capacitor of the equalizer) between the phono input and the speaker terminal."

Last edited:

charleski

Major Contributor
Yes, it’s just a switch to bypass the tone controls. You can find the manual at hifi engine: “When the selector is set to this position, the high-level input signals received at the "TUNER" and "AUX" terminals are directly amplified at the main amplifier section, without passing through the tone-control circuitry, and the unit operates as a complete direct-coupled amplifier to drive the speaker system.”

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply, as I suspected.:)

I bought a little over a year ago, mostly for nostalgic reasons, a Technics SU-V3 very cheaply. It was not a fun experience. Too much treble, even if I turned the tone control down. Normally, I never hear any differences between different amplifiers (if I don't drive small power weak amps into clipping), but the SU-V3 was pretty bad. Maybe there was something wrong with it. In any case, I then sold that amp. Informed the buyer about my experiences but he just said: Good I really like treble!
Well, that's good that you think so , I said, and then I sold it to him.:)

Maybe there was something wrong with the amp and that what I heard was a sharp distorted treble, even at lower volumes? What do I know.

Perhaps it is best to let nostalgic memories be as they are and not try to relive them.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom