• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Story Telling: 35 Year Audiophile Journey

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beolab 90 have narrow dispersion?
I don't have experience, but looking at the number of transducers and their arrangement, it occurred to me that the dispersion would be wide, not narrow.
So I heard you can vary the dispersion in those and that is the USP of those.

It’s a cool feature.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I heard you can vary the dispersion in those and that is the USP of those.

It’s a cool feature.
Yes, one of the features is that you can steer the image. But even with all that DSP and tech, a bad room is still a bad room... at least that was my experience.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Beolab 90 have narrow dispersion?
I don't have experience, but looking at the number of transducers and their arrangement, it occurred to me that the dispersion would be wide, not narrow.
If you read up on them, you will find that most of the transducers are there to sculpt the dispersion of the few that are the primary sources. It worked brilliantly but I had the advantage of having the chief of the design team fly in and do the setup.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, one of the features is that you can steer the image. But even with all that DSP and tech, a bad room is still a bad room... at least that was my experience.
Yep and the trifecta of SAM panels and trinnov should sort all of this out

Scrivs

Forum Donor
Pablolie,

I really appreciate you sharing your journey with us here. I'm 46, recent divorce/situation- Let her have our house- she now have a lovely little brood and has fulfilled that biological imperative (which, I never felt, but I digress). late summer, I bit the bullet, and moved into a 300 sq ft studio as my Octogenarian dads health reached a point where he needed me there 24/7 to assist with our childhood home's maintenance, chores, etc. It's touch watching your childhood hero deteriorate so rapidly.

Then, at 0247, two days prior to thanksgiving , I heard step mum freaking out upstairs. I've never moved to quickly i my life. Long story short, dad had (probably serveral) a major stroke, and I found him on the bathroom floor i a pool of urine. But far more concerning was sudden, and rapid change in his cognitive abilities (not to mention partial paralysis). I'm the eldest son, but he had no idea who I was. He thought I was there to harm him. That heartbreak trumped the divorce by orders of magnitude. It was touch and go, and we thought he may not make it through the night.

So I made him a bed/nest on the floor and tried to make him as comfortable emotionally and physically as I knew how. I lay on the ground next to him because I didn't want him to feel alone. Just in case, you know?

Thankfully he made it that night, and is now on a slow, painful road to whatever semblance of recovery is possible. I was a Coast Guard Aviator in my professional career, so medical care for me (prior VA that is) was pretty painless. Not so Medicare/Medicaid, not to mention these fucking HMO's as I've rapidly learned. I had no idea our medical system was this broken, but I digress...

For anyone who made it this far, I apologize. This was meant to be a really short post, but the words kept coming. Haven't had time to process this type of loss I think. My career as a first responder (and personality) find me operating at my finest the more chaotic/emergent the situation is. But I'm finding the price for my calm, collected, pragmatic demeanor in times of crisis is that I remain emotionless, feel no grief, sadness, joy, anger, my reptilian mind takes over, and the color kind of drains from life.

Until, all the emotions hit unexpectedly, out of the blue and can be crippling. I dealt with it mostly buy drinking, in an effort to not feel again. I didn't want to be conscious. Been alcohol-free almost 4 years now. Turns out the booze was never really the problem. I had to find other ways to occupy my over-active mind.

I've been a Life-long lover of not just music, but just sound in general. I used to ply LP's on my dad's Poor Sansui system in the early mid 80's, and just loved everything about it. Everything. this true love has been steadfast, and gotten me through some really dark moments (aforementioned Thanksgiving stroke notwithstanding :)

At the risk of sounding a bit dramatic, ASR has had such an effect. Amir, and all of you on here who so generously share your time, knowledge, experience and wisdom have taught me so much about the science behind my one true love-- Sound/Music/and more appreciation for engineering excellence. As importantly, ASR has, in a way chipped away at what was becoming an increasingly jaded facade. Everyone (sans trollls, SBAF types:) here values truth, honesty, integrity ,science, and by way providing service/kindness to those who perhaps not capable, or maybe a bit too lazy to do the work it takes to read between the lines.

TLDR;
Went through/going through tribulations as per the OP, and felt the need to share the value, knowledge and bridge over troubled waters that through Amir and "The Regulars" here have made possible for me. Thank you everyone on here for providing something that feels Real in this increasingly disingenuous agenda-driven, money-driven society (esp online) that we find ourselves inhabiting. ASR brought my lifelong passion back to life after a long, dormant slumber.

Thank you everyone on here, I've learned more than I could have imagined, and I'm just getting started :) In fact, I need to go finish the last of the soldering on my soon to be "upgraded" DEQ2496. Better than expected results on the unmodified XLR outs when I was doing a few imprompteau "before" measurements.

And one last thank you to the OP for sharing what he did-- inspired the above word salad. Is this what therapy feels like? I feel a bit lighter :)

OP
pablolie

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So sorry for what you have gone through. My beloved Dad passed -out of nowhere- when I was 29. It was a life changing experience. I still dream about him regularly nearly 30 years later, and it is comforting to talk to him as if nothing had happened in my dreams. I can still easily tear up thinking about him. When I was a teenager I started to diligently buy one of those monthly music vinyl collections a la Time Life on classical music. Then I went off to University, leaving the country and clearly unable to continue the collection. When I got back after a year, I saw my Dad has kept buying the collection and left it in my room. He was old school and not too emotional with me, his only son, although he doted like crazy on my sisters. But when I saw that vinyl, I went upstairs and hugged him and told him how much I loved him. To this day I am so glad I did. He smiled and simply told me he was proud of me.

Also one of those life things - while I was a teenager, I often didn't understand my Dad (but we didn't have conflicts). Now - I look into the mirror in the morning and am like "Hi Dad, there you are", because I see that now -at his age when I was a teenager- I do many of the things he did.

Now my mom -over 80- loves to listen to music with me when she stays with me. I treasure that. Thank you music systems for bringing us together with family as well as friends. Nothing is as important as human connections.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom