• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

StormAudio ISP 16 MK2 Review (AV Processor)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What do these volume levels translate to in terms of a known reference i.e. reference level? (I *think* 80 is reference level(much louder than most listen)? so 90 would show performance for those that listen at 10 dB above reference level?)
I don't know and at any rate, that would depend on the amplifier gain (i.e. how loud it gets).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does this AVP have a decent video colour settings for PAL/NTSC and aspect ratio settings that can be programmed into the memory for - VHS - Laserdisc - HD-DVD -bluray - 4k oh maybe 500k format I hear it's gonna be best yet?
So does this AVP have a serious video colour aspect ratio settings?
There are no analog video inputs here so your questions about those formats are moot. These days, there is not much video processing in these boxes. They are more HDMI switchers with audio extracts than in the past. It is up to the display then to figure out what and how to play said content.

HighImpactAV

Thanks. Does the LAN input accept multichannel from Roon?
Currently stereo, but multi-channel is planned for an update. Edit: Was answering as I caught up on the thread, but see that the question was already answered.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
There are no analog video inputs here so your questions about those formats are moot. These days, there is not much video processing in these boxes. They are more HDMI switchers with audio extracts than in the past. It is up to the display then to figure out what and how to play said content.
That is cos these slimy manufactures was trying to phase out those vital connections years ago. If an AVP/AVR doesn't support it, it is rubbish like my Denon AVC-X8500H, rubbish. I think it is criminal of these AVP.

Amirm, you need to also see if you can fix some of the issues found in these AVP/AVR like the voltage level I would expect 1.1 spot on voltage not few mill-volts difference. Have you tried a simply variable resistor to trim so the 1Khz voltage shows up 1.1. I mean really these products are a joke.

rccarguy

Are these (and noticed a few other makes) a pc, like trinnov has pc backplate.

Presume micro ATX or smaller?

Would like to see internal photos of these "pc av pre" to see what they're done to standard pc motherboard

apgood

Are these (and noticed a few other makes) a pc, like trinnov has pc backplate.

Presume micro ATX or smaller?

Would like to see internal photos of these "pc av pre" to see what they're done to standard pc motherboard

No it isn't a "PC AV pre" like the Trinnov that does all the DSP processing and Codec decode in software using an i7 CPU (Alt32) or i3 (Alt16).

What it does include it a Raspberry pi to drive the web interface (and I'm guessing their Roon functionality?). Not sure what else it drives but definitely not the Codec decode and DSP as there are specific boards for that.

I previously posted photos of the internals of the MK1 ISP here, which has an internal layout very similar to the MK2 (and reason the MK1 can be hardware upgraded to have same capabilities as MK2):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?posts/359496/

I'll see I can find any photos from when I installed the MK1.5 upgrade.

Last edited:
Would it be fair to also mention the slight differences in the SINAD measurements between Amir and Storm is due to the slightly higher voltage in Amir's by about 0.01 V?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would it be fair to also mention the slight differences in the SINAD measurements between Amir and Storm is due to the slightly higher voltage in Amir's by about 0.01 V?
I don't think so.

Descartes

Major Contributor
The company does have proper test and measurement system. The issue is that we really zoom into performance of these devices with our testing and as such, uncover issues not noticed as such by the companies. We also provide competitive information which puts the data in context. I am pretty sure moving forward our suite of measurements will be used to test future designs and products.

Thank you Amir for the great review, I still find amazing that these ultra expensive processor created by engineers are not willing to go through the same grueling process that you expose them to!

One would think that at this price they would try and release top notch performance rather than “it’s good enough”

At least Storm listened and room action so it seems!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you Amir for the great review, I still find amazing that these ultra expensive processor created by engineers are not willing to go through the same grueling process that you expose them to!
My pleasure. On your comment, the awareness has not been there, nor has the market demand. But that is changed and I expect companies to do much better or be left behind.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For 15k, I want at least 105db SINAD, and preferably more like 115. I know it's a lot of channels, but it's also a lot of money.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For 15k, I want at least 105db SINAD, and preferably more like 115. I know it's a lot of channels, but it's also a lot of money.
This is just "objective subjectivism". Or is it "subjective objectivism"? Not sure :facepalm:

Tovarich007

I have one to test....

Well, a Trinnov product, another top notch french brand (and a very expensive one I admit, but they set benchmark for digital processing and equalization in the profesionnal and home theatre fields, so I guess this has a price). I'm eagerly waiting for your review, Amir.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think you’d be able to hear the difference?
Dunno, but for the money, they should be able to do a better job of controlling distortion. What else is going wrong, I wonder. As Topping shows us, this is a solvable problem for not much money.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Dunno, but for the money, they should be able to do a better job of controlling distortion. What else is going wrong, I wonder. As Topping shows us, this is a solvable problem for not much money.

The money in these devices is for the Processing Software/ power.
Not for the DACs. This misunderstanding has to be cleared at some point.

Thats what really counts, and what makes obvious -huge- audible benefits compared with simple 2 channel DACs.

Focusing at the DAC performance with processors, is like focusing on amplifier SINAD performance of active speakers. But we don't do that.

On the other hand, you can always buy a Processor with digital outs and use external DACs of your choice. Or Digital speakers if you wish.

ace_xp2

The problem with the cost ranges of the various AVRs is the implied performance they bring as the costs rise. It's the same sort of performance via obfuscation that offers the potential for snake oil this industry has been beset with for years. Selling ever more costly products that mostly appeal to some sense of increasing performance, as opposed to actual measured benefits.

This is not to imply that there isn't doubtless benefit to room eq, multi channel output, trigger options, multi-zone, etc. as applicable. But rather that the audio performance difference between a equally channeled Denon and all the various esoterica isn't defined by directly attributable audio differences, but because reasons.

For while there may indeed be a performance difference in say the room eq, those differences are difficult to define. Due to their partly proprietary natures they are difficult to pin down and hard to knowingly fit to your room compared with wide vs. narrow directivity, room treatments, and all the rest. So even were one EQ to actually make a notable difference in a specific users room vs. a different EQ, those effects aren't guaranteed in the next users room.

It turns into more of the flowery language and potential for parlor tricks that this entire segment has struggled with through most of its existence. And here too as elsewhere it suffers from the cost=performance fallacy. Price is a metric, but it doesn't measure what many think it does.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
For while there may indeed be a performance difference in say the room eq, those differences are difficult to define. Due to their partly proprietary natures they are difficult to pin down and hard to knowingly fit to your room compared with wide vs. narrow directivity, room treatments, and all the rest. So even were one EQ to actually make a notable difference in a specific users room vs. a different EQ, those effects aren't guaranteed in the next users room.

It turns into more of the flowery language
No, it can be measured. Sorry.

ace_xp2

No, it can be measured. Sorry.
Post it up, every thing I've read so far has shown little to no difference when you're actually in a room making measurements.
I'll take measurements in a given room showing real improvement from one to the other. It doesn't tell us anything about how they perform across different types of room, but that is at least a start.

Top Bottom