• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stirling Broadcast BBC LS3/6 Ltd Edition Reference Loudspeakers

RoA

I am currently using these with my Hegel amplifier, CCA, VdH cabling.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2vCJEydC55gUmgpQ7

Lovely precision, dynamics and coherence.

Music 'pours' out of the speakers. Large sweet spot and without doubt the best high frequencies I have ever heard.

Sound has none of the artificial brightness/hardness of so many speakers but the tweeter and super tweeters just effortlessly resolve the finest filigree detail.

A couple of examples; The Sheffield drum solo sounds real/in-room and explodes from the speakers. Roscoe Mitchell's chaotic but delicate playing is as far as I'm concerned ... perfect. Absolute soundstage precision with depth, height and width. Great clear and elastic bass. Speach (BBC Radio) is gorgeous when the station allows it.

Truly wonderful speakers. Grown up LS3/5a's with balls. Similar to larger Harbeth's. Massive difference in playback quality from my previous Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo's and Kef LS50 Meta Wireless.

Perhaps some of the credit should go to the Hegel. It is one reason I have returned to the brand after a small absence. Not taking anything away from my other amplifiers which continue to delight me in the other system taking their turns.

Downsides ... they are large 'bookshelf' speakers, need to be on stands and are of slightly modest sensitivity. The 95 drives them louder than I can tolerate but I am sure they could scale further with suitable higher end amplification. Good thing is they also sound sublime at lower volumes, my preferred listening. - I have them listed for sale but am now considering keeping them. Going back to my other speakers will not be the same ... .

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Heinz R

I can only agree with your impression of the SB LS3/6. I also have big Tannoy Canterbury and Klipsch Underground Jubilees, but I love listening to my LS3/6. It is a psychoacoustic phenomenon. Other speakers can be bigger and more powerful, for example I really love horn speakers for their effortlessness. But the Stirling Broadcast LS3/6 always give the right impression of a sound event. It is fatigue-free and musical. There is a paradox with these BBC style speakers. An absolute tonal sobriety that is paired with listening to great emotion that is generated. I listen to the LS3/6 since I bought it in 2016 with McIntosh C22CE and MC275 MK4. Since this January I have old used Quad 34/306, I had them also in the eighties. I changed the electrolytic capacitors because they were 35 years old. I love the sound together with the LS3/6 very much! I am wodering if I like this combination even more than with the McIntosh gear which really is superb.

I agree with you I also have LS3/5 V2 a very similar sound but delicate for small rooms.

Top Bottom