• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stillpoint break in period

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Isolation in all 6 degrees of freedom at all audible frequencies is technically achievable but is not easy and is, IMHO, of debatable value given the multitude of unavoidable colourations/distortions inherent in LP replay anyway, not to mention the compromises necessary in order to actually to manufacture an LP and to make it playable.
On top of that most people, myself included, actually like the extra reverb and bass one gets from imperfectly isolated record players. Accuracy is not on the menu, so one may as well tune for a fun sound to one's taste.
Completely agree, vinyl can sound however you like, I do like the record rotating ( as accurately as possible) at the correct speed though.
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I had to look up "6 degrees of freedom"...

6DOF_en.jpg

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I had RC Sailplane time, at least.

It's rather fun to catch a thermal and be carried up to the cloud base, zoom around burn off altitude, and repeat.

But my calculations for the costs of actually flying around in circles and obeying the rules and considering the consequences of a "mistake" led me to not go for a Private license.

So now I'm thinking about doing the sailplane thing, maybe, someday. Maybe electric to avoid the bungee launch routine.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
It is a question I keep asking but even customers of these products don't want to go there. One example is a power cord on a $300,000 amplifier. Why would it still be in need of an aftermarket cord???
Well, get with it, man. With every new Ferrari I buy, I always immediately replace the tires, because those crazy Italian idiots obviously know nothing about tires. Ditto for power cables with the idiots who manufacture audio gear. Obviously, the cable designers know what needs to be done, unlike the engineers who only design the electronics. Those of us with hearing superior to the rabble of the rest of you know this.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Hi

I have given up even discussing about these tweaks and whatnot... A manufacturer comes up with lies. he admits to lying and yet he has a free pass.. His products are anointed great sounding and from that point people buys them ... Ethics are never questioned .. Only the great upshot in SQ however unprovable or questionable that very notion could be... This points to me to a greater problem , a societal or civilization-related one.
Are you getting the eerie feeling that irrational, belief-bound, gleefully and closed mindedly biased, post factual audiophilila, which we have seen for a awhile now, was only an omen of larger social change? Does this have any parallels in politics, for example? Nah, quite impossible.

tomelex

Forum Donor
Only on flight simulator 95 and falcon 3 :D
Oh and strike commander .. I had a proper flight yoke:)

Yeah, I played with that stuff years ago too and had a proper yoke thingy. And I "flew" a T-38 simulator and KC-135 tanker real simulator, with help. I crash landed each flight and only got one flight in each one, it was an open house day at the air force bases. But that was long before I played the computer stuff, bet I would do lots better now, as if I cared though.:rolleyes:

tomelex

Forum Donor
Well, get with it, man. With every new Ferrari I buy, I always immediately replace the tires, because those crazy Italian idiots obviously know nothing about tires. Ditto for power cables with the idiots who manufacture audio gear. Obviously, the cable designers know what needs to be done, unlike the engineers who only design the electronics. Those of us with hearing superior to the rabble of the rest of you know this.

I know, I know, but lets atleast admit that someone with some high power amps and long power cables next to lower power gear susceptible to magnetic fields can get pulses of harmonics from the high power amp surges through coupling into their interconnects etc and there can be issues blah blah and all that given the right circumstances. Strictly speaking science here and electromagnetic coupling, lots of hi fi audiophiles have open two wire interconnects and such too, lots of weird stuff out there that because the heard a difference then the difference is always better, more expansive width, breath, depth, etc, etc, cha cha cha.

I have worked on plenty of high power stuff over the years and tracked down aggressor/victim coupling issues but it is always case dependent.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For a second I thought you were somebody! :D

Yeah, me too! Was ready to find out about all the aircraft he flew and everything.

At least I have a private pilot's license for real. Even logged airtime during a total solar eclipse once.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you getting the eerie feeling that irrational, belief-bound, gleefully and closed mindedly biased, post factual audiophilila, which we have seen for a awhile now, was only an omen of larger social change? Does this have any parallels in politics, for example? Nah, quite impossible.

No nothing like that. It simply parallels conditions during the Dark ages. So you should have that feeling of relief, right?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

eh! eh ! eh! eh! :) ;)

Top Bottom