• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stick with k371 or Upgrade to ML 5909

Kevbaz

Looking for some guidance, I currently use both Dan Clark Drop X closed and AKG k371 with the RME ADI 2 DAC. The AKG k371 I used with Hidizs s8 when travelling.

Im in lucky position to have some money to upgrade, and playing with the idea to replace both the Dan Clark’s and K371 with a single pair of Mark Levinson 5909 for home use on the RME DAC and Bluetooth for when travelling.
Has anyone any experience of similar system to what I currently have and wether they think there is much improvement by upgrading.
Only major concerns I have are with less than stellar review on ASR for the 5909 and the 2 year warranty and fact battery cannot be replaced.
Cheers
Kev

someguyontheinternet

Do you know how loud you're listening? If you stay clear of the clipping range, I don't see an issue with going for the ML.
However I also don't think an upgrade is necessary since you already own an Aeon X.

I would additionally consider getting a Bose NC700 and applying some EQ instead.

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

Do you know how loud you're listening? If you stay clear of the clipping range, I don't see an issue with going for the ML.
However I also don't think an upgrade is necessary since you already own an Aeon X.

I would additionally consider getting a Bose NC700 and applying some EQ instead.
I tend to listen at low volume, so can’t imagine hitting the clipping mentioned in the review.
The Drop X and K371 sound very different, so I’m assuming have pretty different sound signatures. I prefer the sound of the k371 to the Drop X.
Kev

OP
Kevbaz

Kevbaz

I think I’m going to order myself the 5909’s when I’m back home. They track more close the Harman Target so “should” sound better than my k371, and the additional features will be useful.
Will report back once I’ve had them a week to try out.
Kev

Top Bottom