• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steve Wilson Remixes question

Bsmooth

First off I'm a big Jethro Tull fan, as well as ELP. I also like to fiddle with CD's using Audacity. Its also cool to see what the recordings look like as well, shows a lot about how they're recorded. I know its a simple program, but it does do a lot.
I have to say I'm not hugely impressed with the Steve Wilson remixes of Tull. Are they louder, yes wayyy louder. But waht they don't seem to do is clear up how muddy sounding Ian's voice is.
One of the worst that I have seen though is Too old to Rock and Roll the original recording. Its awful looking, but with a lot of work in Audacity, it really can sound so much better. But its still could use even more work. The original seems extremely compressed.
Now granted I'm using MP3's, but its amazing how good an MP3 can sound.
Do the Wilson remixes sound better than the originals, no question. But it seems to me they could sound even better If more work was put in to them.
ELP I have to say used to sound amazing, but along the way the recordings lost something. I have in some cases 3 different versions of albums and Rhino is probably the best, but it seems to lack for a better term drive, especially low end punch.

Top Bottom