• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steve Guttenberg - Audiophiliac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm totally calls Steve out (twice) in the B&W video. It is fair though. Steve praises a bad speaker and Amir is focused on truth before relationships. I respect that. Steve is laid back and likely puts a higher relative value on relationships.

Crane

Forum Donor
Again i feel there is too much emphasis on "bad speaker". Is it a neutral/hifi speaker? no, but you can see from the review that it is adequately designed.

Everyone has different tastes in food just because you dont like to eat fish, apples, or steak etc doesn't mean you are wrong. Now if you try to eat wood, sand, etc or say that those foods earlier are poisonous and bad for you then we have a problem.

Point being, liking different sounding speakers for their highs, mids, bass, etc isn't wrong but advertising it is true to sound recording or clean when it is just full of noise/distortion then it is an issue.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Point being, liking different sounding speakers for their highs, mids, bass, etc isn't wrong but advertising it is true to sound recording or clean when it is just full of noise/distortion then it is an issue.
If you watch the two videos Steve did on this speaker, you can't make heads and tails out of what he is saying. It is one thing to say what you said: "the highs are very exaggerated but I like it that way." He either says nothing relevant for a while ("we have had B&Ws at Cnet for years"), or some random thing about how the speaker images, etc. which he could say and probably does for every speaker.

Ditto for manufacturer advertising.

For my part, I am clear about what the performance is objective and subjectively. You walk away knowing exactly what this speaker is about. Then you can clearly judge if it is for you or not.

Crane

Forum Donor
If you watch the two videos Steve did on this speaker, you can't make heads and tails out of what he is saying. It is one thing to say what you said: "the highs are very exaggerated but I like it that way." He either says nothing relevant for a while ("we have had B&Ws at Cnet for years"), or some random thing about how the speaker images, etc. which he could say and probably does for every speaker.

Ditto for manufacturer advertising.

For my part, I am clear about what the performance is objective and subjectively. You walk away knowing exactly what this speaker is about. Then you can clearly judge if it is for you or not.

Yea i didnt watch his videos, i was just stating the issue of being completely dismissive of personal taste of subjective reviews. The goal is always to have people learn about the science and make informed decision which is easier when people dont get bombarded with negative and aggresive attitude.

My point is not against what you do at all, it is about how people seem to take it as the end all for also EQ and frequency response while they may not like it and it affects their entire take on objective data. They need to know how to use data for informed decision and know that you are represent some data as a standard.

That said you know all my speakers are revel :)

Easternlethal

Forum Donor
I'm not sure why there's any distinction made between CD and streaming really. It's all just Digital. The fact that it's on a hard drive (somewhere) rather than on a silver disc in a plastic box really is meaningless.

On top of that, with physical media / digital files you own the right to enjoy the music forever whereas with streaming you only enjoy it only long as it is licensed to the streaming platform.

I remember reading somewhere that there is more music which is currently not licensed than licensed (either cause the owner is dead or lost interest in licensing) so people who rely on streaming are expanding their library but at the same time letting someone else manage it.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would you classify vintage audio electronics enthusiasts?

Well, the spirit of my prior comment is that I would not necessarily want to classify others for them.

That said, I would say that a vintage electronics enthusiast could be an audiophile, or not - I see the two things as compatible and overlapping, but one does not require the other.

So for example, @restorer-john is someone I would presume is an audiophile - though again, if he does not identify with that term, then I would never try to force it on him. I just mean that he's clearly a vintage audio enthusiast, and he clearly is into well-built, well-measuring, super-robust equipment - high fidelity performance, backed up by engineering and rigorously performed measurement is important to him, based on his posts here.

By contrast, there are plenty of folks at places like, for example, AudioKarma (a great site!) who are also vintage gear enthusiasts, and who of course really love music and listening with hi-fi gear; but from what I can tell some of them are not folks I would call audiophiles (though again, if they self-identify that way, I would not try to say they're wrong). They focus a lot on the appearance of the gear, and they are very attached to supposed sonic profiles of certain brands versus others, which sonic profiles are likely not supported by measurement or else the result of poor measured performance in some area.

Regardless, even those folks are very much interested in the technology and to some degree in the electronic and electrical nuts and bolts of that vintage equipment - which is Amir's point: The percentage of audiophiles who actually practice what subjectivism preaches is very, very low IMHO.

jkasch

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think nostalgia plays a big role for a lot of folks. The vintage, or vintage appearing, equipment takes them back to a simpler and perhaps happier time when they were young. Also, audio was more tweakable and involving, especially vinyl. Not as accurate but satisfying, nevertheless.
An analogy for myself, would be coming of age in the first muscle car era. I bought a new Dodge Challenger Hellcat because it has retro looks and a warranty. I also bought one with a manual transmission, even though the automatic is technically superior (and quicker) in every way. It makes me happy and feel fifty years younger.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Well, the spirit of my prior comment is that I would not necessarily want to classify others for them.

That said, I would say that a vintage electronics enthusiast could be an audiophile, or not - I see the two things as compatible and overlapping, but one does not require the other.

So for example, @restorer-john is someone I would presume is an audiophile - though again, if he does not identify with that term, then I would never try to force it on him. I just mean that he's clearly a vintage audio enthusiast, and he clearly is into well-built, well-measuring, super-robust equipment - high fidelity performance, backed up by engineering and rigorously performed measurement is important to him, based on his posts here.

By contrast, there are plenty of folks at places like, for example, AudioKarma (a great site!) who are also vintage gear enthusiasts, and who of course really love music and listening with hi-fi gear; but from what I can tell some of them are not folks I would call audiophiles (though again, if they self-identify that way, I would not try to say they're wrong). They focus a lot on the appearance of the gear, and they are very attached to supposed sonic profiles of certain brands versus others, which sonic profiles are likely not supported by measurement or else the result of poor measured performance in some area.

Regardless, even those folks are very much interested in the technology and to some degree in the electronic and electrical nuts and bolts of that vintage equipment - which is Amir's point: The percentage of audiophiles who actually practice what subjectivism preaches is very, very low IMHO.
I was looking for old copies of High Fidelity yesterday. Starting back in 1970, it became my regular reading material. In large part this was due to their Beethoven discography, with me hunting down Harris Goldsmith's recommendations for Beethoven's Piano Sonatas:

High-Fidelity-1970-10.pdf (worldradiohistory.com)

I've owned most of the complete editions mentioned in that survey, still have Schnabel, Arrau, some Brendel. Looking that issue over, I was struck at how many advertisements there were, many of products I later found in thrift stores in less than perfect condition, no longer unobtanium, now an empire of dirt. Amazing how many 8 track decks you'll find in "High Fidelity" back then, along with the first attempts at surround sound.

Then I looked at the their first issue for the first time, struck by the use of the term "Audiophile"

High-Fidelity-1951-Summer.pdf (worldradiohistory.com)

I'm not sure if this is the first use of the term in the context of recorded music. Strictly speaking, an audiophile is a lover of sound, independent of that sound's source. But I guess the 1951 premier edition of High Fidelity must have pushed the term in the direction of audio gear and records. The more the term appears in the context of high [often over] priced audio gear, the more the term replaces the love of sound with the love of the sound of expensive audio gear.

egellings

Major Contributor
For me, it's both. I like to build the amplifier (linear, not switchmode) parts of my system and have to purchase parts I would not be able to build, such as disk players, digital sources and speakers that sound good. Of course, the fact that it makes music is what makes me putter with it. As an example, I have no special interest in electronic motor speed controllers. If I end up needing one, however, then I'd likely get into them.

sal

Forum Donor
What do you guys make of Steve?

I could be wrong. Didn't he once say in one of his videos, that measurements are meaningless?

I don't know about you lot. But I've noticed on every video review Steve always likes and praises the product. Hardly ever seen a negative review come out of him.

S.
I have heard him say that he refuses to review certain products. Basically if the product sucks, he does not publish a review for it

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I am explaining to you the two distinct type of customers for high-end audio. There is nothing being "read in." You have customers who research luxury products and those that just buy. The latter have utility for the product, not it being a hobby in itself.

And Im explaining to you that this is the new definition. The old one says nothing about audio hardware as a hobby. Dont know when it changed but I think I know why. This new definition is exactly what the audio rags and snake oil salesmen want. The constant search for "better" hardware, wallets open, right down the rabbit hole.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And Im explaining to you that this is the new definition. The old one says nothing about audio hardware as a hobby. Dont know when it changed but I think I know why. This new definition is exactly what the audio rags and snake oil salesmen want. The constant search for "better" hardware, wallets open, right down the rabbit hole.

You've been repeating the same argument, and the same dictionary definition of "an audiophile is someone who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction" over and over, so let's cut to the chase: much of subjectivist audiophilia is not actually about high fidelity - it's rather about a euphoric experience that many self-identified audiophiles will equate with "realism." When pressed, they are happy to claim that measured performance - in other words, empirically testable fidelity - has nothing to do with, or in some cases even is the opposite of, "true" high-fidelity aka "realism."

That's the issue @amirm is trying to get at, and the piece you seem to be consistently missing. Audiophiles don't directly have to be interested in the nuts and bolts of technology. But if an audiophile is someone interested in high fidelity sound reproduction, then by definition that means they're interested in the playback (reproduction) of sound that is as close as possible (highest fidelity) to the original recording. To the extent a self-identified audiophile equates fidelity with such things as "the violin on this particular recording sounds like a real violin to me" (regardless of whether or not the recording actually captured the particular sound the person is hearing), or "this speaker brand is voiced for musicality rather than measurements," then that person is not, in fact, an audiophile by the dictionary definition.

Now, as I've noted above, personally I'm not really interested in trying to tell someone they are or are not an audiophile. The point is that interest in "technology," as Amir has been using that phrase, is really about investment in the ability to measure performance, in other words to measure fidelity.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I shoot up with oxytocin before listening for a euphoric experience

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone who has met Steve Guttenberg or watched his videos should be able to gauge he is an all around down to earth nice guy.
It should be obvious to most, he is not about the science aspect of audio, rather what sounds good to him. He doesn't concern himself with the specs, he is honest by stating just because he likes the sound of something, you may or may not. It's easy to forget, he is a salesman at heart.

I don't think he is trying to intentionally mislead anyone. I may not personally agree with his opinion on a lot of products, rather i just try to understand this is how he is making a side living from doing these videos. His job is to find something positive and not be to harsh on the negatives.
We should look at his videos more as an entertainment value. For those who do care about the specs, I think even Steve would agree, his videos would not be the ones to watch. In short, no harm, no foul, let Steve be Steve.

sal

Forum Donor
For those who do care about the specs, I think even Steve would agree, his videos would not be the ones to watch. In short, no harm, no foul, let Steve be Steve.

He has said as much in a recent video.

Anyone who has met Steve Guttenberg or watched his videos should be able to gauge he is an all around down to earth nice guy.
It should be obvious to most, he is not about the science aspect of audio, rather what sounds good to him. He doesn't concern himself with the specs, he is honest by stating just because he likes the sound of something, you may or may not. It's easy to forget, he is a salesman at heart.

I don't think he is trying to intentionally mislead anyone. I may not personally agree with his opinion on a lot of products, rather i just try to understand this is how he is making a side living from doing these videos. His job is to find something positive and not be to harsh on the negatives.
We should look at his videos more as an entertainment value.

Well said. We should try to avoid getting personal here. His review are not for everyone, let's not get our panties in a bunch.

Easternlethal

Forum Donor
..if an audiophile is someone interested in high fidelity sound reproduction, then by definition that means they're interested in the playback (reproduction) of sound that is as close as possible (highest fidelity) to the original recording. To the extent a self-identified audiophile equates fidelity with such things as "the violin on this particular recording sounds like a real violin to me" (regardless of whether or not the recording actually captured the particular sound the person is hearing), or "this speaker brand is voiced for musicality rather than measurements," then that person is not, in fact, an audiophile by the dictionary definition.

I think in reality most people do both: evaluate how accurate a system is, and also evaluate how closely it sounds to some ideal. Maybe not in the same listening session but it's kind of hard to avoid when you're staring at a CD cover with a picture of the artist holding an instrument or some great big cathedral and liner notes telling you it was recorded at such and such place or live, i mean, very few cds have pictures of the engineer's mixing desk on the cover.

I'm also pretty sure Steve does some objective assessments also - except that he just doesn't talk about it on his channel - which by the way, I suspect is really because youtube algorithms tell him he'll get many more views doing that than Amir, which very few professional youtubers admit.

I mean, if I had to choose between dropping 100k on a precision analyser and getting 100k viewers talking about measurement or giving positive golden ear reviews or whatever the data trends tell me talk about for 800k subscribers with just my camera, more youtube income, and tons more companies sending me equipment to audition... I'm sure I would do the latter also.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm also pretty sure Steve does some objective assessments also - except that he just doesn't talk about it on his channel - which by the way, I suspect is really because youtube algorithms tell him he'll get many more views doing that than Amir, which very few professional youtubers admit.
??? ASR as a website has gone past many sites like stereophile:

1616569749503.png

While I am very new to youtube, I would not underestimate the demand for proper, objective evaluation of audio. People want reliable information and they are not getting it from subjectivists audiophiles. But sure, we will see if we can catch up to him with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom