• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steve Guttenberg - Audiophiliac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southall-1998

What do you guys make of Steve?

I could be wrong. Didn't he once say in one of his videos, that measurements are meaningless?

I don't know about you lot. But I've noticed on every video review Steve always likes and praises the product. Hardly ever seen a negative review come out of him.

S.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
He's a perfect example of "golden-eared audiophool poetic exuberance." There is hardly an ounce of actual, useful information in his reviews that couldn't be acquired from reading the spec sheet of the given item he's reviewing. He talks about "sweetness" and "juiciness" and such like as he compares some amp or speaker to other amps or speakers his circa-seventy-year-old ears last heard months ago. Deep in his soul he knows he can't ever allow any of his notions to be put to a blind test of any sort because to do so would make him look foolish. Seems like a nice enough bloke though...

OP
Southall-1998

Southall-1998

He's a perfect example of "golden-eared audiophool poetic exuberance." There is hardly an ounce of actual, useful information in his reviews that couldn't be acquired from reading the spec sheet of the given item he's reviewing. He talks about "sweetness" and "juiciness" and such like as he compares some amp or speaker to other amps or speakers his circa-seventy-year-old ears last heard months ago. Deep in his soul he knows he can't ever allow any of his notions to be put to a blind test of any sort because to do so would make him look foolish. Seems like a nice enough bloke though...

I like his attitude on camera. Seems like a decent guy.

No doubt, Steve probably gets good money to shill all those products.

S.

Darvis

This [insert random hi-fi gear] is simply wonderful, its sound is [insert random flowery highly metaphorical laudatives]. If I must nitpick, I would say that [insert random minuscule and inconsequential negative] but really it's a great bargain and well worth items twice its price.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hardly ever seen a negative review come out of him.

S.

Yup- you rarely see or read negative reviews out of many of the reviewers unless build or function related. Updates and higher tier models are usually "better" sounding than previous and lower models

Its an industry, he's just doing his job. But god help anyone buying an expensive piece of kit solely based on SG reviews.

audiopile

Not surprisingly - if a reviewer gives negative reviews (and assuming they are valid and fair negative reviews) - he's going to have problems getting review samples loaned to him and especially have problems getting the "exclusive ,first review" sample that these guys understandably crave. Why would a manufacturer risk a bad review when ol' put 'em over the plate is available to pitch ? nothing against Steve - he's just pretty much what ya get in audio reviewers today. My respect for Michael Fremer went up several notches when he accurately reported on a speech given by a famous recording engineer -in which said engineer laid out the flaws of analog and why he massively preferred digital sources. This is the difference between a journalist and a fanboy - Fremer probably didn't agree with much of the "famous engineer's" speech - but the speaker had a depth of experience in the field that meant even if you disagreed -his thoughts were worth looking at. So -I make it a habit to glance at Fremer's column -super expensive stuff I don't bother to read about -but have decided Fremer is a audio journalist and there just ain't that many around nowadays.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Not surprisingly - if a reviewer gives negative reviews (and assuming they are valid and fair negative reviews) - he's going to have problems getting review samples loaned to him and especially have problems getting the "exclusive ,first review" sample that these guys understandably crave
There Are Plenty Of Fish In the Sea

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Aren’t “reviews” paid-for advertisements cloaked as a review?

i can’t recall the last time I heard a reviewer say “this amplifier is shit and is a rip off ”

I do wonder how many fire something up, listen and then simply send the device back, never speaking of again.

patient_ot

I'm sure he's a nice guy but it's very obvious that he was a hi-fi salesman in a former life.

He does review a fair amount of reasonably priced gear, which is fine.

His videos are a combination of entertainment and advertisement at best. Can't really expect much more out of them.

audiopile

I think it was Stereo review (testing by Hirsch/Houk labs ??) that did not offer manufacturers editorial control of what was written in a review-but the completed review was submitted to the importer/manufacturer and they could say run it or not. In decades of reading that mag- I remember one really negative review -IIRR -it was a Sylvania reciever that had a small fire during output power testing - so did the replacement unit. I was amazed -starting asking the reps that visited my store what had happened : turns out the national sales manager slot was open at the audio div; - no one to say ya or nay as a result. Deadline to make decision expired and SR ran the noteciiably negative review.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I usually just check the videos where he features his viewers' systems :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
His use of language is quite interesting. Eg (for an R2R DAC)

"I heard everything deep down into the mix, like never before."

Which someone might easily, should they want to, take as meaning its the most revealing/ resolving DAC in his wide experience. But thats not actually what he says.

Similarly, when veils are lifted , we rarely hear what he was listening to that had the veils firmly in place. When comparisons are made, the other device always has the X and Y factor going for it, but the DUT nails A and B better.

OP
Southall-1998

Southall-1998

His use of language is quite interesting. Eg (for an R2R DAC)

"I heard everything deep down into the mix, like never before."

Which someone might easily, should they want to, take as meaning its the most revealing/ resolving DAC in his wide experience. But thats not actually what he says.

Similarly, when veils are lifted , we rarely hear what he was listening to that had the veils firmly in place. When comparisons are made, the other device always has the X and Y factor going for it, but the DUT nails A and B better.

He's obviously bullshitting, lol.

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom