• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steve Guttenberg - Audiophiliac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Review the reviewer before taking advice from them, if they almost never criticise things they review ignore them, they work for the people selling you stuff, not for you. This goes for everything that gets reviewed, not just hifi.

OP
Southall-1998

Southall-1998

Review the reviewer before taking advice from them, if they almost never criticise things they review ignore them, they work for the people selling you stuff, not for you. This goes for everything that gets reviewed, not just hifi.

Good post.

I quite like Sean from Zero Fidelity. He's fairly honest.

S.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
someone should restrict his coke supply

balletboy

He has what appears a very genuine explanation for his interest in audio, for a $100 turntable upwards, that doesn't require measurement and I suspect many people can relate to.

georgeT

Good post.

I quite like Sean from Zero Fidelity. He's fairly honest.

S.
Doesn't he have a video where he tells viewers no to look at his review of some cables if they believe expensive cables are a scam. Good ol' Steve might be a product "fluffer" but this guy is just a straight up ignorant audiophool.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This [insert random hi-fi gear] is simply wonderful, its sound is [insert random flowery highly metaphorical laudatives]. If I must nitpick, I would say that [insert random minuscule and inconsequential negative] but really it's a great bargain and well worth items twice its price.

The most common [insert random minuscule and inconsequential negative] I usually hear on these types of videos is something like "if the recording is bad, you're gonna hear it on this [insert random hi-fi gear]".

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aren’t “reviews” paid-for advertisements cloaked as a review?

i can’t recall the last time I heard a reviewer say “this amplifier is shit and is a rip off ”

I've read negative reviews from Kal(above you) before. He doesn't phrase it like that, though. He's nicer about it, but you can still tell he didn't like it.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read negative reviews from Kal(above you) before. He doesn't phrase it like that, though. He's nicer about it, but you can still tell he didn't like it.
I remember the early days of The Audio Critic. Peter Aczel had some reviews that were so blistering regarding some products, they would literally peel the paint off your wall. A review of his in, I think, the fourth issue savaged the Infinity Quantum Reference Source, which in 1977 was priced at an eye watering (for that time) $2400 a pair. All I could do after reading it was lie on my carpet and laugh, it was that hilarious. Shame the early issues (1-10) are completely out of print.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I do wonder how many fire something up, listen and then simply send the device back, never speaking of again.
I had to reflect on this for a moment to realize/decide that you meant fire up a component, as opposed to, say, a doobie.
(not a Doobie Brother)

:cool:

Peter Aczel had some reviews that were so blistering regarding some products, they would literally peel the paint off your wall.
Literally?

1594756197422.png

Conversely, I do believe that a Klipsch Cornwall at high SPL playing a typical, highly processed "pop" music recording would literally remove paint -- but I will admit that I've never tested that hypothesis.

:)

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Well, he says he's honest, anyways. Like all the time. Both present themselves as "nice guys" and that seems to be the only thing going for them. I'd say his reviews are "worse" than Guttenberg's, honestly. Useless either way. Sean's professed love of "tone" is hilarious. Like Amir says, it's the equivalent of saying you like to have a green tint on your TV's color. Sure, you can have it if you want. But don't demand that the factory calibrate the TV to it (or even respect one that does), just use the damn settings. He's the end of the line for that generation of audiophilia that never bothered to think about what "high fidelity" means because companies were saying anything to justify their crap products. At least this isn't Sean's day job. The tide is turning against these problematic subjective reviews.

I used to subscribe to them both, but their reviews got monotonous since they are limited in their knowledge.
Everybody got a hustle

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I generally feel he is more credible with subjective reviews of speakers, and sometimes setup tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom