• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steve Guttenberg: Are you truth seeker or pleasure seeker?

MRC01

Major Contributor
I don't have any other Patricia Barber albums. Nor do I have the Holly Cole album mentioned above. But I do have a bunch of other jazz albums, and the bass on Modern Cool is so different and huge from almost any other jazz album I've heard, it dropped my jaw to the floor when I first heard it.

By way of expressing preferences, here's an album that I think has excellent bass: clear, tight, extended, natural:
https://www.amazon.com/Eeg-Fonnesbaek-Sinne-Thomas/dp/B00XYCT6TC
The vocals have some artificial emphasis in the upper mids & treble, as they often do in jazz vocalist recordings. But that bass is close to perfect.

Another album with reference quality bass is Drums & Bells, which has been mentioned before here at ASR.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/books/drums-bells-loudspeaker-evaluation-cd/

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I don't have any other Patricia Barber albums. Nor do I have the Holly Cole album mentioned above. But I do have a bunch of other jazz albums, and the bass on Modern Cool is so different and huge from almost any other jazz album I've heard, it dropped my jaw to the floor when I first heard it.

Do you have any Christian McBride albums?

"It's Your Thing" is one my favorite tracks to practice to:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
somebody should stuff Guuty into a Grecian urn, and then write an ode to him

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any Christian McBride albums?

"It's Your Thing" is one my favorite tracks to practice to:

Almeida, Brown & Christian McBride together >> That's my cup of Tea and your jaw will drop for sure ;)
Don't have the tittle of the album right now in my ol head, I think Bell records, a Grey/Black cd ...

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.musicme.com/Ray-Brown,-Laurindo-Almeida/

Ok, McBride is not there, but he also played with the first 2

Brown.jpg

NoSnakeOil2

This is the narrative by which he chooses to live by... "truth" is secondary to his experience of "beauty". A lot of people are like that. But it also makes easy fools out of those people -- the better to manipulate one another -- sometimes ultimately leading to ill effects (psychologically, financially, medically, socially, environmentally etc). Even if you accept this type of premise, it's still beneficial for one to step out of the matrix every so often to get a momentary reality check -- else we might find ourselves (albeit, but already too late) destitute and drowning in the filth of one's own making. Like something out of an avant garde movie.
Steve defines "beauty" base on the kit's price tag.

Andysu

Major Contributor
hifi shrill and I can't stand audiophile rich people
my favourite steve guttenberg quotes:

"i dont believe in measurements"
"bass is not omni directiona..."

could only find the last one:
He babbles and doesn't show any placement of the sub, just babbles with that hi-fi rich tongue. Oh guy puts me off.

Top Bottom