• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steve G Takes Revenge On ASR With New Review!

cjfrbw

Not really, but I couldn't help thinking that the whole time he was making this vid, he didn't have the echo of ASR rattling around in the back of his mind.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who? Why keep bringing him up? It only drives more views to his videos and feeds the anti ASR group that we are monster who eat children.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who? Why keep bringing him up? It only drives more views to his videos and feeds the anti ASR group that we are monster who eat children.
Any audio publication that does actual discriminations based on objective performance of products rather than a marketing puff piece will be considered an "eater of children" by those selfsame puff piece shills.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
My version of his review: They're all low-power amps and have different clipping profiles. Maybe you'd hear something different if playing reasonably loud, maybe not. So that's that.

How many views would that get?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My version of his review: They're all low-power amps and have different clipping profiles. Maybe you'd hear something different if playing reasonably loud, maybe not. So that's that.

How many views would that get?
Too many... I have decided not to entertain these clowns. Going to their sites add to their views. Agree with @pozz...
It is tempting though, to hear what those shills have to say :( .. I will , however resit :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor

Because he is nuts, entertaining and needs a haircut.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Only the children of subjectivists and audiophools. Not good, honest, objectivist children.

KaiserSoze

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He said very little until he got near the end and asked you to send him money.

If you were to fixate on the theoretical maximum efficiencies of the different classes, you would note that the theoretical maximum efficiency of Class D is about 3 1/2 times better than the theoretical maximum efficiency of Class A. But this does not tell the true story, because theoretical maximum efficiency is concerned with the behavior of an amplifier at the onset of clipping, and because amplifiers are almost never operated anyhere close to the onset of clipping. Depending on the ratio of actual output power to maximum output power, the Class D amplifier will be anywhere from 10 to 100 times more efficient than the Class A amplifier. For most people most of the time, the Class D amplifier will probably use less than 1/50 of the power used by the Class A amplifier. This is a realistic estimate, and of course the power that is wasted due to inefficiency manifests as heat dumped into the room.

Class AB is much more common than Class A, especially for speaker amplification, and Class AB is vastly more efficient than class A when the ratio of actual output power to maximum output power is as low as it typically is. As such, the typical difference in efficiency for Class D vs. Class AB is not nearly as dramatic as when comparing Class D to Class A. Nevertheless, for typical ratios of actual output power to maximum output power, the Class D amplifier is about 300% more efficient than the typical, common Class AB amplifier. A 300% improvement in efficiency is a dramatic improvement. The Class D amplifier typically uses 1/3 as much electrical power as the common Class AB amplifier, and generates 1/3 as much heat.

And whether you want to believe it or not, the stark differences in efficiency, size and mass are the only true, noteworthy differences among Class A, Class AB, and Class D amplifiers. Not between amplifiers with different power ratings, but between amplifiers that are different in Class and similar in rated power, with the power ratings specified in association with distortion levels that are similar for all classes (especially when the distortion levels used for the power ratings are below the level that is deemed inaudible by conventional estimates).

It is difficult to compare cost, because the retail pricing for all three of these classes of amplifier is all over the map. The best Class D amplifiers cost about the same as the best Class A and Class AB amplifiers with similar power rating. Whether there is good reason for the Class D to cost as much as the others is a difficult question. The power supply in the Class D amplifier is much smaller and less expensive even compared to the power supply in a Class AB amplifier. On the other hand the Class D amplifier is more complex and demands a greater level of engineering effort and know-how. But since the powerful, high-end Class D amplifier is fully comparable to the powerful, high-end Class A or Class AB amplifier in terms of sound quality, while using only a fraction of the electrical power used even by the Class AB amp, much less the Class A amp, why would anyone looking for a high-end amplifier choose Class A over Class D? Or Class AB over Class D?

I'm tired of all the excessive mass and all the heat dumped into my living room. I'm tired of the boat anchors. Since it is possible in this era to get a really good, really powerful amplifier (or receiver) that weighs a fraction of what a comparable amplifier weighed back in the '70s, '80s and '90s, while generating only 1/3 the heat and consuming only 1/3 the amount of electrical power, for about the same amount of money, why would anyone looking to buy a new amplifier in this era even consider anything other than Class D?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm more curious about why he seems to have a bamboo rice cooker paddle attached to something in the background behind his right ear.

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not really, but I couldn't help thinking that the whole time he was making this vid, he didn't have the echo of ASR rattling around in the back of his mind.
Steve calls out the "measurement geeks" fairly early -"you don't buy this amplifier if you are a measurement geek", and "if you are then this isn't the amp for you, and you can stop watching right now"... said with a *smirk*...Starting at 06:10:
Frequency response 10 - 20 kHz +/- 0.1 dB
Power (stereo) 8W into 8 Ohms per channel
Power (monoblock) 15W into 8 Ohms per channel. See ACA operation modes for details on monoblock operation.
Power Measurement Measured at clipping with 3% distortion
Distortion 0.7% at 1 Watt (primarily second order harmonic which being even-order is described as "sweet, tubey" and being low-order as "benign/inaudible")
Input impedance 10 Kohm
Max Gain 14dB (stereo) 20 dB (Mono)
Damping factor 10
Output noise 100 uV
Power supply input Universal 86-264VAC 47-63HZ
Power supply output 24V 5A
Heat dissipation 20 Watts per Channel

The kind of audience that this DIY AMP draws:

Still+Motion 1 week ago
I'm not into DIY audio but my 10 year old girl asked if we could do one together, Here I'm placing my order ‍♂️let see if we could make it work.

Freiheit 2 weeks ago
Nelson Pass is awesome for supporting the DIY community. A firstwatt + klipsch cornwall is my dream system. Keep the videos coming! Thank you, Steve.

Many more comments on youtube...
AMP CAMP AMP
https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

It looks like Steve's review and "build" video may have helped the AMP CAMP AMP sell out till 2021:

"...A complete kit consists of a parts kit, power supply and the chassis. You don't need anything else!
Please note: The ACA has sold out but is now available to pre-order, shipping January 2021"

From the Build Video:
"Robert never built an electronics kit before, but even so he managed to built not one, but two DIYaudio Amp Camp Amp kits over a couple of days. More info about the DIYaudio Amp Camp Amp here https://diyaudiostore.com/products/am... I checked with ACA just before posting, and they said they will have 100 kits available on Sept 7, and another 100 on Sept 20. They sell out quickly, just letting you know. "...and they did sell out till January 2021...

Last edited:
OP
cjfrbw

cjfrbw

There seems to be a faction at ASR now for whom ranting about subjectivists being subjectivists makes their nipples perky.
Nonsense. My nipples haven't been perky in decades.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Because he is nuts, entertaining and needs a haircut.
I'm looking for a thread about haircut and all I get in the search is Steve Guttenberg, needs a haircut :eek:o_O. ... I also need a haircut. Its been 5 months of frigging lock-down all the hairdressers are closed and I don't want use the clippers cos it makes it a real mess. They say hairdressers maybe open in April, I flipping hope so cos I am about to go stir crazy.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I'm looking for a thread about haircut and all I get in the search is Steve Guttenberg, needs a haircut :eek:o_O. ... I also need a haircut. Its been 5 months of frigging lock-down all the hairdressers are closed and I don't want use the clippers cos it makes it a real mess. They say hairdressers maybe open in April, I flipping hope so cos I am about to go stir crazy.

I bought clippers last spring and haven't looked back.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I bought clippers last spring and haven't looked back.
I did too but went further and go my wife stuck with cutting my hair. :) She is getting better at it so I too am not thinking about getting my haircut elsewhere.

Top Bottom