• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steve G incites new rage in objectivists!

Grave

This has been done. I'm not aware of anyone being able to tell the difference.

I do not see how this would be hard to do if you listened for the noise floor or audible errors in vinyl.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be clear, I was referring to digitizing an LP and then comparing the ripped file to the LP.

Now I've also done an LP, reel to reel and CD comparison using all pre-recorded sources. That was a long time ago. Several of my friends were involved. The big surprise was that CD and rtr were usually close in general balance. Not the same, and not beyond distinguishing, but not like one was extremely odd vs the other. LP was in each and every case the obvious odd man out. We did this on more than one playback system, and that odd man out character of LP came thru on all of them. It drove home the point that LP has a "sound of its own".

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I do not see how this would be hard to do if you listened for the noise floor or audible errors in vinyl.
We are talking about copies of the LP which will also have the same noises.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny this came up today as someone asked me to measure acoustic products and I told him that measurements there can be highly misleading. We have two ears and how we hear in a room is different in each ear. So one microphone can't measure the right things. In that regard, Steve is both right and wrong. He is right that in acoustics you have to darn well know what you are doing or you will totally draw the wrong thing.

Gotta disagree here @amirm. Measuring a speaker is quite complex, but the microphone being monaural is not a particular problem.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Credit where it's due to Steve G, I find his articles to be typical of the sort of subjectivist line that I personally dislike intensely and some of his remarks are rather asinine (to be polite), BUT, he knows his audience and services that audience and I suspect the fact that he will know how he gets under the skin of the more objective side of the hobby is probably rather satisfying for him. And, maybe a bit controversial this one, do we not ourselves derive a little pleasure from shouting at his idiocy and feeling above his style of subjectivist audiophoolery (OK, I'll admit it, I do......:facepalm:).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Gotta disagree here @amirm. Measuring a speaker is quite complex, but the microphone being monaural is not a particular problem.
Quoting Dr. Toole:

1539450074593.png

Please see my article here: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/perceptual-effects-of-room-reflections.13/

While acoustic measurements are needed and must be performed, it is trivial to arrive at the outcome Steve is talking about, i.e. good measuring that sounds bad.

I will cover all of this when I do part 3 of my REW tutorial on room optimization.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can good measuring sound good?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
This has been done. I'm not aware of anyone being able to tell the difference.

I think Linn routinely via DSP digitizes what signals arrive from their turntables?

(Correct me, anyone, if I’m wrong).

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And yet, if I get a smooth on-axis response with no lobing or discontinuities in the polar response (e.g., the classic "horns" at crossover from the sudden directivity change), I have yet to find any speakers that sound bad.

Likewise, when I measure things like "BBC dip" or ragged treble, that's how the speakers sound as well. Further, measured resonances are almost always reflected in my subjective reaction to the speaker.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Nobody has any problem with Steve?
He's a cool and fun humorous audio/video writer; the more like him the freer this crazy audio/video world.

This is the second thread glorifying Steve @ its fair value. The guy is a star.

Top Bottom