• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile's snide editorial on ASR and Amir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually Vacceo had a bit of fun with calling Diana Krall boring and bad music as well as other criticism, that does not make much sense to me when it sounds like so much other jazz pop. About 30 search results here

I am not sure the artist made that music just to be a showcase of sound quality.
I wasn't saying that.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyway if you like what Diana Krall does and you don't know it already I'd recommend Carol Kid - specifically 'The Night We Called It a Day.'

Same sort of thing but - IMO - done better.

birdog1960

Anyway if you like what Diana Krall does and you don't know it already I'd recommend Carol Kid - specifically 'The Night We Called It a Day.'

Same sort of thing but - IMO - done better.
I enjoy Krall's unique phrasing and timing in jazz standards. To be fair, my wife does not.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Actually Vacceo had a bit of fun with calling Diana Krall boring and bad music as well as other criticism, that does not make much sense to me when it sounds like so much other jazz pop. About 30 search results here

I am not sure the artist made that music just to be a showcase of sound quality.
Now seriously, the problem is not Diana Krall (which I find boring, but that´s just taste, nothing else); it´s her omnipresence in audiophile showcases. If the point is demonstrating the capabilities of a speaker, logic shows that it would be a lot better to employ a piece of orchestral music, where the dynamic range and the capacities of the speaker can really shine.

Newman

Major Contributor
I think you've missed my point.

I know for a fact that I have heard "inaudible differences". I didn't consciously make it up. It didn't feel imaginary or vague or anything like that.
Now, I've learnt from both theory and practice that it can't be that the sound waves can explain the experience.

Of course “it didn’t feel imaginary or vague“! That’s why it works…

But, and this is the big one, how do you know that you were hearing them? I’m betting that it was yet another sighted listening protocol, and your perception was so clear to you that you were convinced it has to be in the sound waves. Bingo! And the trap snaps shut.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not engaging in, but mocking. You're not even doing that very well, either. Diana Krall is definitely a minority taste around these parts. We listen to test tones and distortion graphs here, not music, don't you know?
I mean, I'd rather listen to a square wave than Diana Krall.
Heck, I'd probably even rather look at a nicely-proportioned square wave than Diana Krall... but I've never been much for blondes, anyway. ;)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I think we can almost all agree that this thread is Dead. Living on life support, and I’m pulling the plug.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom