• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile's snide editorial on ASR and Amir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacceo

Major Contributor

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It is the human character flaws that make "scientists" make up results because they want a certain result. I was talking about that, not anyone in the audio forums or stereophile. There have been countless scientific studies that have been published in peer review medical and scientific journals that have had to be recalled and withdrawn because of this problem. So even science says that you shouldn't "trust the science".

I see, this is why we use meta-analysis when deciding what becomes the new (or unchanged) treatment/management regime, it filters out the outlier/junk studies.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hundreds of thousands of music fans hear differences due to how cables react to specific components but you do not.
The same numbers of people have been made to see 747 disappear off the runway by David Copperfield.
That doesn't make it a fact, it's simply an illusion of the human senses which are the weakest of things to base any conclusion on.
Several highly regarded cable companies even explain how their cables effect the sound - Analysis Plus, Audience and Shunyata come to mind.
And they're all taking big checks to the bank, made by getting foolish, technically ignorant people to believe some made-up pseudoscience BS. There's not a bit of scientific truth in it.
If someone enjoys their 1000$ speaker cables, then there's nothing you can do to stop them.
No one want's to stop them, we simply want to inform them of the TRUTH.
Then if you want to continue to spend big money on things that do nothing but look purdy, have at it.

Everett T

Forum Donor
I'm sure the amp is a jewel of engineering. Benediction sounded atrocious on it.
Wouldn't know, just was reading the measurements and the comments from JA. Nothing spectacular that I can see...

Audiofire

Forum Donor
It's not, though it's much better than my (nonexistent) Dutch. The correct way to render your very witty insult would be "measurement heroes." (That is, "measurement" instead of "measure.")

A hyphen is only needed when the sentence becomes ambiguous without it. So "I laugh at measurement heroes" doesn't need a hyphen. But "Measurement-heroes laugh at me and I laugh back at them" would require the hyphen.
A hyphen is not needed in measurement heroes, because the compound noun is not an adjective.

It's not really an insult to call someone a measurement hero when it is undisputedly the case though. We just had someone who introduced that term as a classic irony-by-accident by-product of someone who didn't know the relevant science.

Everett T

Forum Donor
A hyphen is not needed in measurement heroes, because the compound noun is not an adjective.

It's not really an insult to call someone a measurement hero when it is undisputedly the case though. We just had someone who introduced that term as a classic irony-by-accident by-product of someone who didn't know the relevant science.
tenor 8.gif

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Speaking of pieces of shit, have fun buying a new hypex or purifi amps every few years when they finally fail out of warranty. At least a Pass amplifier will last someone a lifetime and can be fixed by a tech for short money if needed
Huh? Shipping a monster amp back and forth for repair alone will come close to cost if class D module. And no tech is going to charge you short money for something that expensive. That's a fantasy there.

As for landfill you know how much they are filled with expensive shavings for the large amp cases?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Shipping a Pass from Middle of Nowhere, Spain, to the US. Yeah, cannot wait for that.

But hey, a Pass will smash any hypex or Purifi.

teched58

That's technically correct (the hyphen part; the "insult" bit is, er, subjective). However, in this case "measurement heroes" is a non-idiomatic coinage, hence the clarity argument. Unless I missed something. I vaguely remember a song, something along the lines of "Billy, Don't Be a Measurement Hero."

BTW, "byproduct" is one word; a hyphen is not needed.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Reading all of this and thinking: It’s been proven that speaker measurements can be used to predict with some confidence what listeners will prefer. Given a true blind test, this means listeners can to some extent rank speakers based on what they hear. The issue of course becomes whether or not the listener can be objective in their evaluation and ignore size, appearance, price, design philosophy….

Geert

Major Contributor
It's not really an insult to call someone a measurement hero when it is undisputedly the case though.

But it is when it's targeted at a person who's actually a pro sound engineer and makes it living by listening.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Huh? Shipping a monster amp back and forth for repair alone will come close to cost if class D module. And no tech is going to charge you short money for something that expensive. That's a fantasy there.

As for landfill you know how much they are filled with expensive shavings for the large amp cases?
If the shavings are sufficient and expensive, then they are being recycled (in a functional economy at least).

I've had a Krell repaired twice (horizontal rain and vomiting cats) and both repairs were a fraction of the cost of a Purifi amp from your friend and my countryman Mr March (for example).

No shipping costs to speak of, but a pain in the arse to carry to the boot of the car for the (fairly short) drive to the Krell service folks. That's a draw compared to shipping a March to Western Australia I guess. The cats reckon an idling Krell is a winner in winter though.

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This answer is not clear.

Yes it is. The loudspeaker industry has not adopted measured performance standards. Floyd Toole among others has lamented this. It is part of the circle of confusion.

Happily, some companies follow the best available science.

rwortman

Forum Donor
Back to the original topic. I exchanged a few emails with Jim Austin a few weeks ago regarding output waveforms of DAC’s. He has a Phd in physics although he hasn’t worked in the field in a long time. He seems like a reasonable guy. There is room in my world for different opinions.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
Back to the original topic. I exchanged a few emails with Jim Austin a few weeks ago regarding output waveforms of DAC’s. He has a Phd in physics although he hasn’t worked in the field in a long time.
If he had that degree in electrical engineering, then you would have a point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom