• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile's snide editorial on ASR and Amir

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliqaz

I am pretty sure this is a direct comment on the ASR community.

OP
A

aliqaz

Direct quotes from the article:

"Purifi's people are serious engineers, but don't make the mistake of thinking they mindlessly ally themselves with the simple-minded objectivists who populate certain online discussion forums."

"owning an Audio Precision analyzer doesn't make you an expert, and the unguided application of analytical tools can lead you far astray."

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean this part?

".. Purifi's people are serious engineers, but don't make the mistake of thinking they mindlessly ally themselves with the simple-minded objectivists who populate certain online discussion forums. They understand that science and engineering must be carefully deployed. Members of the Purifi team seemed to me as impatient with measurements-happy reductionists as with the radical antimeasurements crowd .."

To me it means the writer is projecting and thinking he knows what Purifi engineers think. ".. they seemed .." doesn't sound too self-assured, nor does it seem the entire paragraph nails down what the correct position should be - the writer positions himself well out of the supposedly warring factions.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I am pretty sure this is a direct comment on the ASR community.
How so?
EDIT: I stand corrected. I did not read into the post perhaps as much as should have.

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Recently there seems to be a coordinated and prepared attack on objectivity and measurement of equipment by the more subjective hive mind reviewer whether they be print, online, video, the wording/particular phrases used appear to read almost identically so I guess the jungle drums are rumbling and they feel threatened for whatever reason.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"owning an Audio Precision analyzer doesn't make you an expert, and the unguided application of analytical tools can lead you far astray."
As if they do not know @amirm's background. They cover all those expensive products but they are OK with a cheap, uninformed snipe.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently there seems to be a coordinated and prepared attack on objectivity and measurement of equipment by the more subjective hive mind reviewer whether they be print, online, video, the wording/particular phrases used appear to read almost identically so I guess the jungle drums are rumbling and they fell threatened for whatever reason.
I blame the US Supreme Court :D

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This quote summarizes the article very well,

Knowing what to measure is critical, and getting to that point is hard work. As is written in a Purifi blog post—it's unsigned, but the voice and some biographical details sound like Putzeys's—"We don't so much hear distortion levels as distortion mechanisms. You need to understand the mechanism before you can design a test that will quantify it sensibly."

Ah distortion mechanisms, here here, by all means distortion mechanisms. :)

- Rich

Soundstage

Not their first attempt. The reality is that their business model is under attack with each review Amir does. People reading the reviews do realize, review after review, that the 99% of what makes a Stereophile review is useless.

Some people say that John Atkinson is an authority. The authority in this context is defined as the power to influence others, especially because of one's commanding manner or one's recognized knowledge about something.
Amir is clearly an authority. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of John Atkinson who has traded the science for marketing.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Some people say that John Atkinson is an authority. The authority in this context is defined as the power to influence others, especially because of one's commanding manner or one's recognized knowledge about something.
Amir is clearly an authority. Unfortunately the same cannot be said of John Atkinson who has traded the science for marketing.

Not entirely disagreeing, but Atkinson was not the author here. It was the other JA.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Recently there seems to be a coordinated and prepared attack on objectivity and measurement of equipment by the more subjective hive mind reviewer whether they be print, online, video, the wording/particular phrases used appear to read almost identically so I guess the jungle drums are rumbling and they fell threatened for whatever reason.
Berlin's bunker: they are loosing and they know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom