• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Stereophile's Products of the Year are up. What's interesting is that there is less obvious advertiser-friendly muck to wade through this time around. When Benchmark, Revel, and Dutch & Dutch are highlighted and not stuff like Wilson (OK, the dCS Rossini is there too), I take a bit of notice. I mean they are usually there, but the degree of visibility is surprising: it is striking that the AHB2 is still being flaunted by them as one of their products of the year in 2019. Is this the start of a brand new era where products that demonstratively measure well cannot be ignored?

Is ASR partly to blame? (lol.)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophiles-products-2019
It's all artwork

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
How on earth did the 8Cs not win.
Keith

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting if only for entertainment purposes. I can see why the Revel took top honours. I also noticed that the Joseph Audio Perspective speakers ("2" version) were runner-ups. I can see why, as a new owner of a pair of the Perspectives (first version). They seem to do it all (or almost) - super clarity, timbral accuracy, soundstaging/imaging like crazy, and punchy as heck so they can rock the house (ridiculously so, given their modest driver compliment and small size).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I suspect it is because too few of the editors got to hear them.
I know the reasons, etc you gave Kal. But the botton line was you purchased Revels for your personal system. ;)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I know the reasons, etc you gave Kal. But the botton line was you purchased Revels for your personal system. ;)
Yes but different Revels (not the 228Be) and for reasons that were quite personal and somewhat tangential to considerations for POTY.
Or, was it the halo you put on the 228Be's.
Nah. I think that I expressed comparable enthusiasm for the two. It was probably due to a lack of familiarity with the product and, as likely, a lack of familiarity with the DSP/powered paradigm.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson your reviews are some of the best in the business. No BS and lots of careful listrening and thinking. I recall in your review of the Goldenear 1R's hearing something in a short audition a few weeks before, that you mentioned about female voices.

Reactions: Wes

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I took a pair of Salon 2’s in part ex against some 8Cs.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I wish I were, I just set the 8Cs up next to the customers Revel’s, I just ensured that he could switch between systems, I did measure his room of course and discussed any filters required .
They sell themselves.
Keith

Darkweb

Stereophile's Products of the Year are up. What's interesting is that there is less obvious advertiser-friendly muck to wade through this time around. When Benchmark, Revel, and Dutch & Dutch are highlighted and not stuff like Wilson (OK, the dCS Rossini is there too), I take a bit of notice. I mean they are usually there, but the degree of visibility is surprising: it is striking that the AHB2 is still being flaunted by them as one of their products of the year in 2019. Is this the start of a brand new era where products that demonstratively measure well cannot be ignored?

Is ASR partly to blame? (lol.)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/stereophiles-products-2019
You forget Stereophile has been posting measurements even before Amirm was doing the programming for Clippy at Microsoft.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
it is striking that the AHB2 is still being flaunted by them as one of their products of the year in 2019.
Then, you will appreciate the latest issue!

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Here is another list of awards
https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...k-products-of-the-year-one-sentence-summaries

"Product of the Year awards fall into three main categories: Individual Awards, Outstanding Performance, and Exceptional Value. Under Individual Awards are four subcategories: Hall of Fame, Innovation in Design, Aesthetics and Sound, and Pioneering Design Achievement. Most years see only one winner per subcategory, but we’re happy to name two or more winners if the products are deserving. This year, for the first time, there are two awards for Pioneering Design Achievement awards: one each for a loudspeaker and an electronics component."

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Congratulations Dutch&Dutch,
Pioneering Design Achievement -- Dutch & Dutch 8c active loudspeakers, by Diego Estan (SoundStage! Hi-Fi, April 2019): “Overall, the Dutch & Dutch 8c’s not only exceeded my expectations for how a pair of stand-mounted speakers could perform, in many ways they bettered the performance of my current setup of satellites and subwoofer room-corrected with Dirac Live.”

Keith

jjk

Forum Donor
@Kal, read your review of the Benchmark preamp. I am MCH too. Are there any other preamps you would consider “tri-preamping with.”?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You forget Stereophile has been posting measurements even before Amirm was doing the programming for Clippy at Microsoft.
In fact, Clippy was making its own measurements at Microsoft before I even arrived!

It just said this about what you wrote though:

739bde35839b706c1fa5b94dea6eb904.jpg

Top Bottom