• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile: Spectral X-Contamination: Problems in Op-Amp Chips

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm with @Sal1950 on this. Those men and women who sacrificed their lives in past conficts, so we and our descendants can live a better life should never be the butt of jokes. They aren't here to defend themselves.

Without American intervention in the Pacific in WW2, we all know things would be rather different down under.

There's an WW1 ANZAC memorial near us where there are 8 brothers' names from one local family- all lost. I think of their mother and what she would have felt. I often have my lunch in that park and read the names of every single soldier. We will never forget.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm with @Sal1950 on this. Those men and women who sacrificed their lives in past conficts, so we and our descendants can live a better life should never be the butt of jokes. They aren't here to defend themselves.

Without American intervention in the Pacific in WW2, we all know things would be rather different down under.

There's an WW1 ANZAC memorial near us where there are 8 brothers' names from one local family- all lost. I think of their mother and what she would have felt. I often have my lunch in that park and read the names of every single soldier. We will never forget.

Which has nothing to do with anything here.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

I'm not going to disagree with any of that. My grandfathers fought in both the European and Pacific theaters.

But I also don't think it has much to do with the analogy to homeopathy that was originally being made. He gave an example of an oxymoron, which was famously attributed to a British general.

I don't think anything in the remarks resembles any kind of intended crapping on veterans.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm also not clear what was even remotely racist about it, given race wasn't mentioned in any form.
Racist is not only about the color of your skin but lumping people in a group and believing yourself better than them.
Is religion a Race?
And no-one is allowed to have a different opinion then.
So what did you actually fight for?
Not to lump people into groups and abuse them?
Nazi's and Khmer Rouge did that, they believed they were superior to the rest.
The awesome and extremely intelligent military people of the world stopped them.

Let's move on but please think about it the next time you feel its funny and OK to berate those who fight and die to keep you safe and free.
Same for the police, fire and other first responders who put themselves in harms way every day to protect YOUR interests.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Racist is not only about the color of your skin but lumping people in a group and believing yourself better than them.
Is religion a Race?

No, religion is not a race.

No, racism is not hating people for any arbitrary groupings. We have different terms for different kinds of prejudice.

Example sexism. Sexism is not racism.

Anti-Catholicism. This is a separate word from being racist.

We have separate words for them because they have different meanings.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The awesome and extremely intelligent military people of the world stopped them.

That's not what the phrase means.

The phrase isn't saying people in the military are dumb.

It's not a slander on the intelligence of soldiers.

The phrase is saying the intelligence services of the respective branches (e.g. Naval Intelligence) aren't as smart or reliable as they think they are.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No offence, but can we go back to dog piling on Stereophile and their ever more obvious lack of journalistic integrity, please?
Indeed. Points have been made folks. Let's move on.

mansr

Major Contributor
Noticed that too. There is a lot of stuff to discuss but I was hoping you guys could shed some light on the non integer harmonics and how you manage to hide them.
That's because these crummy modern digital instruments use the inferior "fast" Fourier transform. The reason it is fast is that it works only on integers, so it obviously misses the non-integer harmonics.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
That's because these crummy modern digital instruments use the inferior "fast" Fourier transform. The reason it is fast is that it works only on integers, so it obviously misses the non-integer harmonics.
We know that's false right?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Couldn't we use enharmonic windowing?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Maybe when we get real quantum computers we'll be able to do a Fourier transform in real time with Fs of 100GHz and use an infinite length sync filter with 64kbits resolution. Until then, all digital audio is a dead end ;)

MRC01

Major Contributor
The FFT is "inferior" to the DFT in that the FFT doesn't tell you the actual frequencies of the sin waves that sum to the given waveform. Instead, it splits the frequency spectrum into buckets and tells you how much energy is in each bucket. That's a fundamental difference mathematically, though it becomes immaterial for many practical purposes, so long as you use enough buckets.

mansr

Major Contributor
The FFT is "inferior" to the DFT in that the FFT doesn't tell you the actual frequencies of the sin waves that sum to the given waveform. Instead, it splits the frequency spectrum into buckets and tells you how much energy is in each bucket. That's a fundamental difference mathematically, though it becomes immaterial for many practical purposes, so long as you use enough buckets.
If that is the joke I hope it is, well done.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I admit the joke was on me years ago when I was learning about this stuff, then I figured concepts one struggled with is often great material to mine for obfuscation. If I wait too long, the "Edit" button will disappear and I won't be able to add the winking smiley.

mansr

Major Contributor
I admit the joke was on me years ago when I was learning about this stuff, then I figured concepts one struggled with is often great material to mine for obfuscation. If I wait too long, the "Edit" button will disappear and I won't be able to add the winking smiley.
It's funnier without the smiley, exactly the kind of thing John Atkinson might actually believe.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it better to use lots of smaller buckets, or just a few big ones?

Assuming they all total to the same volume?

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There’s a hole in my bucket, dear Lisa, dear Lisa...

Top Bottom