• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile: Spectral X-Contamination: Problems in Op-Amp Chips

OP
carlob

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They mentioned homeopathy seriously. Just let sleeping dogs lie.

Noticed that too. There is a lot of stuff to discuss but I was hoping you guys could shed some light on the non integer harmonics and how you manage to hide them.

Sidebar 5: Digital Perversions
Widely unrecognized, is that class-D amplifiers, depending on voltage-challenged switching-MOSFETs, are so compromised for voltage swing, that almost all rely on bridging to deliver power levels into 8 ohms that analog amplifiers managed 40 years ago. Technological retrogression sits in plain sight.

Meantime, bad digital can make the most unnatural harmonics of all. The fifth-and-a-half has been observed. There are also sub-harmonics: Fit only for horror movies. Worse, modern test instruments hide such inconvenient data, as sub-educated modern "designers" decide that only integer harmonics or products exist.—Ben Duncan

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
non integer harmonics and how you manage to hide them.

Isn't that just IMD that he's referring to?

Conventional acoustic and audio knowledge has little enough to say about the sonic effects of harmonics when they're gross (ie, 50% to 0.5% of the fundamental). At lower levels, almost nothing is documented, and extrapolation of the high-level effects would seem presumptuous. I have witnessed experiments in which the effects of introducing at below –95dB a spray of harmonics, including the seventh, ninth, and eleventh, by loading-down an IC op-amp, are: a) perfectly audible, but b) perceived more as a dulling loss of detail and air than as dissonant in the usual sense of "anti-melodic" or "gritty." There is much yet to discover.

None of this is that hard to "discover". Just use my DISTORT app to add the harmonic/IMD distortion at the desired level and then ABX it with the original. It may not answer the question "is the seventh harmonic at -95dB ever audible" but it can certainly help answer "can I hear the seventh harmonic at -95dB in a musical performance of my choosing with my favorite playback equipment".

StefaanE

Forum Donor
They mention homeopathy in the same breath as ‘military intelligence’. We should be thankful for small graces, I guess.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
> First Published: Jun 1, 2001

Pretty old hat, this. What do you call them, the bad old days of audiophile FUD?

Blah-blah aside, I don't find the actual measurements presented particularly concerning; for a stereo application, even the most problematic TL072 and TL052 would not pose too much of an issue, though I wouldn't necessarily want to use their channels for wildly different signals / levels.

Emlin

But surely the problems will be cured by adding more of the problem and swishing the chips in water and then banging them repeatedly on a book. Or am I wrong?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
homeopathic spectrum disorder

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
First Published: Jun 1, 2001

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But surely the problems will be cured by adding more of the problem and swishing the chips in water and then banging them repeatedly on a book. Or am I wrong?
I'm unclear as to whether we use super dilutions of water bathing discrete transistors or if we mix/match that with super dilutions of vacuum tubes. We can probably get by using super dilutions of only one true Western Electric 300B.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
They mention homeopathy in the same breath as ‘military intelligence’. We should be thankful for small graces, I guess.
It's thanks to those military people you so freely insult that your don't pledge allegiance to Adolf Hitler and no longer commit mass murder on races and religons you don't like.. :mad:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
It's thanks to those military people you so freely insult that your don't pledge allegiance to Adolf Hitler and no longer commit mass murder on races and religons you don't like.. :mad:

Jeeze, Sal....

I've heard people who are *in the military* make the joke about "military intelligence".

I don't think it's meant as an insult against all soldiers.

Chillax.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Jeeze, Sal....
I've heard people who are *in the military* make the joke about "military intelligence".
I don't think it's meant as an insult against all soldiers.
Chillax.

They earned the right.
I will never put up with that kind of anti-military racist remark.
I've stood next to friends who died in combat and had to wash their blood off my face.
It is not to be thought of as acceptable humor.
Is this the other face of those who walk around saying "thank you for your service" when a service person is not in earshot?
Sorry but I will never sit quietly while the real heros of each generation are insulted and used for the butt of humor.
Just stop

Last edited:

Emlin

They earned the right.
I've stood next to friends who died in combat and had to wash their blood off my face.
Is this the other face of those who walk around saying "thank you for your service" when a service person is not in earshot?
Sorry but I will never sit quietly while the real heros of each generation are insulted and used for the butt of humor.
Just stop

And no-one is allowed to have a different opinion then.

So what did you actually fight for?

Wombat

Master Contributor
It seems the term was coined 'in-house' in 1931 by British Brigadier General John Charteris.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/10/02/oxymoron-intelligence/

Much British humour/irony does not travel well to the USA.

As one who has more than a passing interest in WW1 and WW2 I can say that there were plenty of Military Intelligence blunders. I don't believe the term applies more generally. The term was well used by the lower ranks in the British forces.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
They earned the right.
Just stop

I think you're taking it waaaay out of the intended context.

I'm also not clear what was even remotely racist about it, given race wasn't mentioned in any form.

Top Bottom