• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile Now Measuring Turntables....

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I won't link to it, but YT features a video uploaded from an operation called OMA, offering a direct drive record player casted from smelted iron, with a special motor derived (evidently) from rocket ship gyroscopes. Uses a special vacuum tube for something or other. Tube glows purple. Not run of the mill 'entry level' prole Mac Green. I am not making this up.

Now, it might be the best record player in the world. I sure can't say. If you have to ask, it costs (I think, but am not certain) as much as a 4/3 split plan in the suburbs.

After slumming the 'high-end' for a while, you sort of get immune to it all, like water off a duck's back. However I did raise an eyebrow when OMA main man quipped something to the effect that the latest and greatest twenty thousand dollar SP-10 from Japan could possibly be considered a 'value proposition', but it just wasn't good enough for OMA.

I guess. La perfection est l’ennemi du bien...

norm.jpg

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

DSJR

Major Contributor
Have a TD124 Mk2 with SME tonearm since 1971. It has some rumble but absolutely no flutter and no wow due to the very heavy platter. And it is driven by belt from the motor via rubberwheel to the platter. Rumble comes at least from some of my vinyl LPs due to warp. But I don't use the player anymore since I digitized almost all what I own the music. If new music, only digital. No turning the LP, no dust, no cleaning the vinyl. Excellent selection pane on my laptop, clean cracklefree sound as long as I want. No way back. And, I don't think that the overpriced turntables today are really better than the old ones. Maybe the cartridges due to better technology processes. And tonearm/cartridge resonance always existed and will exist to infinity.
The TD124 is something I still kind of lust after and there is a healthy if hideously expensive service/spares situation for it too.

SSS

The TD124 is something I still kind of lust after and there is a healthy if hideously expensive service/spares situation for it too.
Servicing I do it myself. But to get GOOD spare parts can be expensive. If the lubrication is done it lasts for 10 years minimum. But I rarely use the turntable so it may last forever. If you have a professional service for restoring the TD124, cost is indeed very high.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Servicing I do it myself. But to get GOOD spare parts can be expensive. If the lubrication is done it lasts for 10 years minimum. But I rarely use the turntable so it may last forever. If you have a professional service for restoring the TD124, cost is indeed very high.
I also only do such things myself as a matter of principle. Firstly, it's fun and secondly, I know then how well it's done.

DSJR

Major Contributor
A near future project for me will be a Garrard 401 I have had returned after thirty odd years in dry storage. Nothing whatsoever to do with 'fidelity' of sound (unless it drones in the background as many 301's and 401's did), but I love the looks and operation of it and back in 1966, it was the first 'separates' turntable I ever saw - "Where's the arm then?" :D I have heard quiet ones (well, as quiet as the idler drive and high speed motor allow)... Interestingly, the TD124 is no quieter in drive noise despite the complex hybrid drive system it uses according to a 1969 UK test done on it, the 401 and the (Goldring) Lenco G99. Best of this bunch was the still very desirable Sony TTS3000 which even then was showing what properly designed belt drive can do...

Newman

Major Contributor
I just noticed in the new VPI turntable review that Stereophile is doing measurements:...Perhaps they'd done some in previous reviews but I didn't notice. Good to see, though.
Perhaps it was banned while Fremer was there? ;)

Perhaps Austin told Fremer they were going to do it, so he left? ;)

cheers

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I am surprised that the Shaknspin data are not better on the 1200GR , I get similar results on my Belt drive Michell Gyro.( is it a low level mit on the Shaknspin?) But the Technics will not have the same DC/Bakt drift over time ( hourly /daily weekly deviations)
I see Stereophile also use Shaknspin now but their interpretation of the numbers are showing some inexperience. not sure they use the device correctly or understand the values. When presenting data with an uneven data min variation of —2% and max +0.3% that means the tables speed was not stabilized . The Shaknspin 8 seconds delay before measuring start was too short. Let table spin and drop the Shaknspin on while spinning

Here is a suspicious measurement.Either the stable speed was not reached of the table drift severely.

IMG_1460.jpeg

Now Fremer is doing measurements too

Here is my Gyro ( belt drive) on a good day. Coming..

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The first side peaks indicate a 40hz (3150-3110) vibration in the platter or drive system

Don't agree. The central peak is around 3160 as the record/signal is running fast. The spurs are at +/-50Hz and +/-100Hz, so likely (50hz country) mains related to the number of poles on the motor.

Top Bottom