• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile cable review

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In Australia we have truth in advertising laws. I am not a lawyer but I would be surprised if this piece did not breech those laws.
Even though Stereophile (and the others) exist as the unofficial advertising arm of the industry, these articles are not ads per se. And if Cardas 'quotes' Herb in a real paid ad, they are just reporting what someone said.

Funny thing (and I don't know about Australia), but my guess is that you could take all nine top court Justices (with maybe one or two exceptions), and after they spent half an hour listening to an accomplished audio store cowboy, whose job is coaching unsuspecting customers in the mysterious ways of hook up wire, they too will hear start to hear stuff that's just not there.

Besides, if issue is civil, the burden of proof is preponderance of evidence, and reasonable doubt doesn't even enter the scene. In that case, Stereophile could line up all the people who 'hear' differences, compared with those who don't, count the numbers up, and even someone as skeptical as Judy would have to issue summary judgement in favor of the defendant.

The only useful thing these 'reviews' are good for, is offering a low-brow laugh. Still, I have to give Herb credit. Definitely challenging Vic for a first place gold in the 'over the top audiophile sensitivity and emotionalism' Olympics. Vic's going to have to get even more emotional, in his next write-up, for sure. Yet I feel that a man as sensitive as Vic Serinus is up to the challenge.

Great opera singers like my beloved Maria Callas supercharge the air in front of them with the purest tones and the most dramatic dynamics. They electrify large halls to the point where the audience feels the song's energy penetrate their being. My favorite audio systems mimic this effect: They put sound into the room with vigorous, tangible force. The singer's raw energy captured on the recording is not lost. It is projected in an exciting, believable fashion.

Herb takes the lead with that copy. That's got to be a 9.3, or even a 9.5, in the audiophile blather category.

Even so, I admit that I might have it all wrong. I've been wrong before. However my guess is that no matter how much Cardas Herb throws at Maria, he's not going to make those old Parlophones sound like any of the stuff he's writing about!

160864640923.jpg

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
A5073B3A-B28A-4A62-971A-45D294D533CC.jpeg
Out of curiousity I created this poll in one FB group. Like it or not, cable believers are still very popular. Stereophile will continue to live for a long time to come

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Wow, the reader comments at the end of that article are pretty fun. Well, I sure hope it's all crap, as no $4000 interconnects are in my future...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 224199Out of curiousity I created this poll in one FB group. Like it or not, cable believers are still very popular. Stereophile will continue to live for a long time to come
I buy the best in-wall twisted pair or zip cord from MonoPrice or Amazon. I guess that's between reputable brands and cheapest? But I splurged a couple bucks on terminations.

delta76

Major Contributor
I buy the best in-wall twisted pair or zip cord from MonoPrice or Amazon. I guess that's between reputable brands and cheapest? But I splurged a couple bucks on terminations.
Mono price is a reputable brand. By cheapest I meant like no name whatever cables you find in dollar store :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mono price is a reputable brand. By cheapest I meant like no name whatever cables you find in dollar store :)
I order on the internet for convenience. But there is nothing wrong with normal zip cord or especially, on-sale extension cords. You can get some large gauge twisted pair that way for cheap.

DonR

Major Contributor
I order on the internet for convenience. But there is nothing wrong with normal zip cord or especially, on-sale extension cords. You can get some large gauge twisted pair that way for cheap.
I consider Home Depot reputable.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You definitely want the orange jacket cord. It will emphasize the interconnectedness of harmonic forms the best!

OP
N

Nitreb

My post simply expressed my disbelief seeing people waxing lyrical like that over cables supposedly sounding different - Do they actually believe hearing these differences? And $4,000 for a few meters of cable, really...

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m surprised no one has mentioned that a $20k DAC requires a $4k cable to bring out its inner bloom.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m surprised no one has mentioned that a $20k DAC requires a $4k cable to bring out its inner bloom.
These people have so much neck they'd put a herd of giraffe to shame.

egellings

Major Contributor
I home brew my interconnects using RG-58U and speaker cables using 16 ga lamp cord. Lengths are no longer than needed to reach between what the cables connect together. Works just fine, and, izz cheep!

DonR

Major Contributor
I home brew my interconnects using RG-58U and speaker cables using 16 ga lamp cord. Lengths are no longer than needed to reach between what the cables connect together. Works just fine, and, izz cheep!
but... but... the soundstaging... micro details... air... pace and rhythm... surely these are lacking without spending top dollar. :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What's not to like, no one's going broke or selling their kidney to pay for these...
True, but I wonder how many of their mid-income readers have been convinced into spending large amounts
of dollars on cabling that could have been much better allocated to speaker upgrades?

During the '60s, I subscribed to... Stereo Review and High Fidelity. Every one of those magazines presented articles discussing the importance of upgrading stock wiring to better-quality "premium" wires, citing improved electrical performance and greater reliability.
You know back then there were a lot of folks using the skinniest of speaker wire that were affecting the FR of their systems.
The stuff that many dealer would throw in free with a new rig purchase was ridiculous.
When the first wave of Monster cable and like came along I'm sure many people did hear noticeable improvements in their systems.
And for that we live with the insanity of todays wire world. :mad:
Do they actually believe hearing these differences?
Some do, some know it's all about the boys club of the High End world and keeping the magazine making money, a few just never review cables and avoid the issue all together.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Belden wire, but it makes all my music sound industrial.

egellings

Major Contributor
Metal music might be just the thing for you, then, should you use that wire.

Top Bottom