• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile, Atkinson Out, Austin In

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Its a crazy observation. I think there's a huge gap on YouTube for objective reviews of audio equipment. It could be a great opportunity for ASR if @amirm was to video record the equipment tests and do live commentary. It would reach so many people, and it would be cool to see the process happen with the AP machine and all. The content is already there, it would just need to be translated to a video format.
This is something I have been planning to do but just haven't found the time or patience to do it. Agree that it is a huge untapped audience without video.

Question: what value do you all put on seeing my picture versus just voice over?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This is something I have been planning to do but just haven't found the time or patience to do it. Agree that it is a huge untapped audience without video.

Question: what value do you all put on seeing my picture versus just voice over?
You'd just have to dress as Peter Sellers , and dress the dogs as pink panthers ..

maxxevv

Major Contributor
What if at the end of the video if the item has tested poorly amir takes it ' out back' and blows it up ...

I'd watch that.

Like they used to do on Mythbusters ..... Blow it up with the largest collection of explosives they can legally gather! :p:D

Bet there will be a few thousand channel subscribers within a few short weeks!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also we could speed up the video, Benny Hill style.., this also would make me tune in.
I am afraid we don't have the supply of girls in nurse outfits chasing me here to make that work....

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Like the Australian (or is it New Zealand) fellow who does the entertaining vids on various things electronic.

Oh no, not Dave from EEVblog? That guy is pretty much my generation, but his voice just drives me nuts. I tried pitch shifting it which helps.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Oh no, not Dave from EEVblog? That guy is pretty much my generation, but his voice just drives me nuts. I tried pitch shifting it which helps.

Love that channel. I don't have a problem with his voice.

reza

For some reason I have always preferred those youtube clips that do away with both and use subtitles or some form of writing instead.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Love that channel. I don't have a problem with his voice.

His content is great and he's an extremely knowledgeable guy right from the my era. I swear he built the same test gear and owned the same stuff I did. He even still has his 30+ year old Hakko 926 on his bench as I do.

From the early ETI and EA (australian electronics magazines) in the late 70s and early 80s.

But can't do the voice. It's like the proverbial fingernails down the blackboard...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

I've seen your picture.

I've heard your voice.

No worse than mine.

But there just ain't no way I'm gonna be making any public videos flaunting either one.

---

Now, just to take the thread even further off-topic:

Drove over to the Trump thing in Orlando yesterday, just to take in the scene and leave, so you may now consider me insane...

Parked three stops away and took the Sunrail into downtown.

It was as hot and humid as it gets, was still drizzling a little when we arrived. Much of the drive was torrential as only a Central Florida Summer Storm can be without getting scary, like in Dallas, whose similar storms hide hail.

There was a 1/2 mile line of people, about four wide, and more coming all the time, but we found a simple way to merge with it near the front while wandering around, pretending to be waiting to use the Port-o-let stationed by the entry gate, which served both the line and passers-by, abandoning the wait, and "re-joining" the line during a gap.

We probably could have gotten into the Arena later if that was our goal (not).

Got up close to the "while you're waiting for the doors to open in an hour but still 4 hours before the show" stage with Kimberly Guilfoyle and Don Jr. (we were much closer, right down on the corner of the front row for a few minutes. I had my fingers in my ears)

The PA in use was very very loud, but also very clear.

Nice big-screen on the right. I suppose it's portable, too.

1560948583317.png

There were a few Blue People mingling, nobody making trouble.

I asked a Bicycle Cop (there were plenty to ask) where they had hidden the demonstraters.

He stood up off the bike seat, waved one arm backwards over his head pointing down an empty street, and said "Oh, they're way back over there down behind there someplace over there somewhere."

Many Media folk wandering around with their shiny shoes unsuccessfully avoiding the mud and puddles, with their microphone emblazoned with their affiliation, and a laptop, and a sheaf of notes, and a scruffy cameraman, looking for a sound bite. One of the female reporters confused me, as I thought initially I was looking at AOC in the flesh. "What's she doing here?" I mused.

And, of course there was a Trump Impersonator. He fooled me too, in that I thought "Gee, that poor guy has to go around with that mug all the time", but he was wearing a mask. I couldn't tell from ten feet until my mind finally registered the constant expression it held. If he was speaking to the people interested in speaking with him, his mouth didn't move.

Hundreds of booths and vendors selling, well, attempting to sell, the hats and t-shirts and such. They weren't doing much business, from what I could see. The people interested in flaunting such attire had come well equipped with what they'd already accumulated elsewhere.

Even the guy selling rain ponchos couldn't get a bite. Once your're wet down here, you're wet, no need to steam yourself under a vinyl tent.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Youtube 'reviews' are just tabloid television for the instant gratification, shallow-thinking generation. They'd last 30 seconds watching a test sequence before jumping to the latest cat videos.

There are a lot of good reviews of phono carts, both subjective impressions and recordings of the same record with different carts. The fidelity of youtube videos is not great but it's good enough to get an idea of cartridge sounds.

One reviewer does speaker drivers, showing measurements and distortion data.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
@RayDunzl Livin' the nightmare. :D

This is why I studiously avoid any massive "entertainment" events.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I am old enough to remember that mass political events in stadiums were a feature of the 'developing nations'. Maybe not needed when 'greatness' is restored. :facepalm:

Top Bottom