• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile article on speaker wire measurements

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have an iPhone but my Android does not do that. Not sure if your components need better RFI suppression or you need a different phone. :) That said, while I did exactly that experiment in the past, I have not tried it with my new processor. For the HT world, there is so much noise inside the box, that suppression pretty much has to be in there or nobody would buy the things...

You've never heard the classic "3G buzz". Old podcasts and youtube videos are full of it.

Doesn't happen to me much anymore since I got a 4G phone, but every 3G phone I ever had did it with pretty much every piece of audio electronics it was within 6 inches of.

You can still get it occasionally in ares of poor reception when a new phone falls back to 3G.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Doesn't happen to me much anymore since I got a 4G phone, but every 3G phone I ever had did it with pretty much every piece of audio electronics it was within 6 inches of.

We are talking about cables. Does this hapen when your close to the speaker cable or close to the amp?

Ghz interference is fairley new to our world and many of the older electronics were never designed to deal with it. And there are ways.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are talking about cables. Does this hapen when your close to the speaker cable or close to the amp?

Ghz interference is fairley new to our world and many of the older electronics were never designed to deal with it. And there are ways.

Near the electronics, like @teched58 said originally.

Just put your iPhone next to your receiver/amplifier; when it registers with the tower, you will hear the RFI through your speakers. (Yes, I know, you're not "hearing" RF, you're hearing rectified interference. bbbzzzzzzzzzzz,,,bbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzz,)

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
He is Stereophile. enjoy the part on AC cables at 15:20...
(246) Michael Fremer | Stereophile - YouTube

When the guys entire career depends on him believing that BS what do you expect. Not one technical reason or measurement, not ever a blind listening test, just the word of a snake oil salesman. What hi end amp makers did he do this with? No names, just take his word. Its like watching the leader of a cult preach to his sheep. "Its true because I say its true" so spend more money than you can afford on useless shite or you can't belong to this cult. Know anything about scientology? I'm not drinkin the cool aid,

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When the differences are so appreciable there is no need for tests. You know perfectly well if a day is sunny or cloudy. Usually the first reference recording I listen to is Hotel California (Eagles), with about DR15.

Ugh. If I had to listen to that song again I’d leave the hobby. Memories of a concert at the Yale Bowl in 103 degree heat with a half-conscious guy barfing something pink next to me.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the general consensus in this forum is as long as cables are working and you are not running 10meter cable you are good to go.
However, this article clearly disapproves that.

Nope. No it doesn’t.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
When the guys entire career depends on him believing that BS what do you expect. Not one technical reason or measurement, not ever a blind listening test, just the word of a snake oil salesman. What hi end amp makers did he do this with? No names, just take his word. Its like watching the leader of a cult preach to his sheep. "Its true because I say its true" so spend more money than you can afford on useless shite or you can't belong to this cult. Know anything about scientology? I'm not drinkin the cool aid,
I love the part when he says you should go and try very expensive power cables. He’s obviously trying to suggest the more you spend the better your system will sound... lol

And here’s an example of what happens when you follow that path:

I do have my cable preferences though among pro audio cables. Audiophile cables are just bling and hype with insane mark ups.

Last edited:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love the part when he says you should go and try very expensive power cables. He’s obviously trying to suggest the more you spend the better your system will sound... lol

And here’s an example of what happens when you follow that path:

I do have my cable preferences though among pro audio cables. Audiophile cables are just bling and hype with insane mark ups.

Sounds a bit muddy to me.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Sounds a bit muddy to me.
Yes, absolutely... All those tube stages are creating a huge amount of distortion. Pleasant or not, there’s a lot of information lost. Room acoustics are likely a big issue too.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Yes, absolutely... All those tubes are just creating a huge amount of distortion. Pleasant or not, there’s a lot of information lost. Room acoustics are likely a big issue too.

Really? Would you mind trying my listening test of original vs. passed through tube that I posted here in ASR
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-world-tube-preamplifier-about-2-7-thd.18392/

I am curious about audibility of that "huge amount of distortion". You have a chance to be the first to succeed.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Yes, absolutely... All those tube stages are creating a huge amount of distortion. Pleasant or not, there’s a lot of information lost. Room acoustics are likely a big issue too.
I doubt that the fact that there are tubes in operation would be the predominant 'distortion' especially considering they are driving horns, which need little power - the overwhelming problem is that room probably sounds like an echo chamber, diffraction panels or not.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that the fact that there are tubes in operation would be the predominant 'distortion' especially considering they are driving horns, which need little power - the overwhelming problem is that room probably sounds like an echo chamber, diffraction panels or not.

Look like all single-ended amps with....custom outboard OT? Could be doing anything to the frequency response.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
When I look at that system, I perceive ancient tech wrapped in luxurious containers. So there’s definitely some bias from that point of view... But when I listen to the binaural recording of that system, I’m thinking there’s something very wrong with that system’s sound. That’s not what I expect from a “hi end” system.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Look like all single-ended amps with....custom outboard OT? Could be doing anything to the frequency response.
Could be - but you're generalizing. My setup uses horns and a SET amp for the highs. This SET amp has about .02% distortion at the loudest I would listen. The speakers themselves (any speaker) would easily have over an order of magnitude higher distortion. The frequency response of this amp is also almost ruler flat over the range I'm interested in.

Top Bottom