• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile and Absolute Sound Editorials

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I subscribe to both, mainly to support the hi-fi world in general.

I refer, dear readers, to the latest issue of each and the Editor’s intro to the magazines…

Jim Austin, of Stereophile, presents a lucid view of goings-on in “Thoughts on reviewing”; I rather enjoyed his take on subjective listening.

In contrast, in the March 2022 ‘Editor’s Choice’ edition of “The Absolute Sound”, Robert Harley wrote “The Law of Accelerating Returns”. His basic position is summed up as this: “But in my experience, when it comes to audio systems and our perception of reproduced music, it’s the Law of Accelerating Returns that prevails.”

In essence, Mr. Harley’s position is one must spend as much as possible to make improvements in sound quality. I take exception to his position.

In the many threads in our own ASR, we have discussed at length the ever-increasing incremental price of measurable and audible performance in our systems. I add parenthetically that the price of excellent electronics has, amazingly, become less insane as competent engineering and production costs have been well managed. Speakers, well, those do not seem to have an upper ceiling.

TAS has, in my opinion, some reviewers that I respect and trust, especially Robert E. Greene. The editorial from Mr. Harley has dimmed my respect over-all.

Am I being hyper-critical? Should we simply expect that the reviews have to be self-serving out of financial necessity, we as the readers adding our grain of salt to the descriptions and conclusions presented?

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
I recommend having a look at archimagos take on the latest stereophile editorial.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Peter Aczel on Harley, way back in the day:

1645458079282.png

1645458117488.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
Where can I find archimago’s comments, please.
This isn't a post by archimago, but it has an ongoing discussion of the essay by Jim Austin, along with a link to the review by Jim Austin of an overpriced and clearly underperforming CD/SACD player that was posted right after the "As I See It ['cause we all know I can't hear it]".

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor

I refer, dear readers, to the latest issue of each and the Editor’s intro to the magazines…

Jim Austin, of Stereophile, presents a lucid view of goings-on in “Thoughts on reviewing”; I rather enjoyed his take on subjective listening.

In contrast, in the March 2022 ‘Editor’s Choice’ edition of “The Absolute Sound”, Robert Harley wrote “The Law of Accelerating Returns”. His basic position is summed up as this: “But in my experience, when it comes to audio systems and our perception of reproduced music, it’s the Law of Accelerating Returns that prevails.”

In essence, Mr. Harley’s position is one must spend as much as possible to make improvements in sound quality. I take exception to his position.

In the many threads in our own ASR, we have discussed at length the ever-increasing incremental price of measurable and audible performance in our systems. I add parenthetically that the price of excellent electronics has, amazingly, become less insane as competent engineering and production costs have been well managed. Speakers, well, those do not seem to have an upper ceiling.

TAS has, in my opinion, some reviewers that I respect and trust, especially Robert E. Greene. The editorial from Mr. Harley has dimmed my respect over-all.

Am I being hyper-critical? Should we simply expect that the reviews have to be self-serving out of financial necessity, we as the readers adding our grain of salt to the descriptions and conclusions presented?
These rags are payed by the manufacturers to publish marketing articles, they don’t make any money from subscriptions! So since they’re trying to survive they have to push companies that pays for their salaries!
The problem with all these magazines is that none of the reviewers are audio or electrical engineers who actually understand and can measure scientifically the products they review, instead they provide subjective opinions.

Robin L

Master Contributor
These rags are payed by the manufacturers to publish marketing articles, they don’t make any money from subscriptions! So since they’re trying to survive they have to push companies that pays for their salaries!
The problem with all these magazines is that none of the reviewers are audio or electrical engineers who actually understand and can measure scientifically the products they review, instead they provide subjective opinions.
Kal Rubinson and John Atkinson are ASR members, do good work at Stereophile [though JA's comments in the measurements section should be read as if he's writing for Pravda]. Stopped reading Absolute Sound a while ago, we just sort of drifted apart.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't read either one but I fear that you might be supporting the "bad guys" (audiophools).

...Most of the audiophile community is nuts! There is a fair amount of nonsense in the pro world too but they aren't quite as crazy and you won't find too many recording/mixing/mastering engineers raving about high-end cables, etc.

Back in the stone age I used to read Stereo Review. They were a little more down to earth but I didn't completely trust them either and I don't think I ever read a negative review.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TAS and S'Phile may have accomplished some things in the past( Not sure what exactly but .. ) . At this point in time, they are more a detriment to High Fidelity than anything else. They are the spoke people, the megaphone of the High End Audio Industry. They perpetuate a long list of falsities, to sustain what I perceive as a dying sector: High End Audio. Some could give them the benefits of the doubt. I won't. They know what they are doing: They are selling wares.
There are a few good people in there, as in anything, it's never perfectly bad or good , but aside from the REG or Kal Rubison, to name those 2, who came to my mind, there could be 2 or 3 more (??!!!??? Reaching , people, I'm reaching).. there is a dearth of honest and/or technically knowledgeable in those magazines. Those magazines "Raison d'Etre" is not to educate the enthusiasts and/or further the reproduction of music in an accurate fashion but to sell wares for a manufacturing segment.

Peace.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
TAS and S'Phile may have accomplished some things in the past( Not sure what exactly but .. ) . At this point in time, they are more a detriment to High Fidelity than anything else. They are the spoke people, the megaphone of the High End Audio Industry. They perpetuate a long list of falsities, to sustain what I perceive as a dying sector: High End Audio. Some could give them the benefits of the doubt. I won't. They know what they are doing: They are selling wares.
There are a few good people in there, as in anything, it's never perfectly bad or good , but aside from the REG or Kal Rubison, to name those 2, who came to my mind, there could be 2 or 3 more (??!!!??? Reaching , people, I'm reaching).. there is a dearth of honest and/or technically knowledgeable in those magazines. Those magazines "Raison d'Etre" is not to educate the enthusiasts and/or further the reproduction of music in an accurate fashion but to sell wares for a manufacturing segment.

Peace.
Stereophile is my go-to magazine to read when I go to bed to fall asleep quickly. Beyond that, its absolutely useless. :facepalm:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophile does measure gear so is of some use. I suppose the only reviewer I care for anymore is Kal. TAS jumped the shark many, many years ago. Now it should be ashamed and Robert Harley more so than anyone.

How is something like this News item anything more than shilling for advertisers.

Now TAS at one time was subscription only. Even then the ideas weren't really rational, but I could give them grudging respect for their articles and reviews being their honest (if sometimes misguided) opinions. By now they are for and about the industry, and helping it shear the remaining number of sheep in a diminishing segment of the industry. For a long time basically money trumps everything. The more it costs the better it is according to TAS. You can't even look at their home page without being assaulted by numerous ads.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Stereophile does measure gear so is of some use. I suppose the only reviewer I care for anymore is Kal. TAS jumped the shark many, many years ago. Now it should be ashamed and Robert Harley more so than anyone.

How is something like this News item anything more than shilling for advertisers.

Now TAS at one time was subscription only. Even then the ideas weren't really rational, but I could give them grudging respect for their articles and reviews being their honest (if sometimes misguided) opinions. By now they are for and about the industry, and helping it shear the remaining number of sheep in a diminishing segment of the industry. For a long time basically money trumps everything. The more it costs the better it is according to TAS. You can't even look at their home page without being assaulted by numerous ads.
Each stand cost more than my complete system.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Let me adjust that last sentence.

The problem with all these magazines is that none of the reviewers are audio or electrical engineers who actually understand and can actually hear a difference in some of the products they review, instead they provide imaginative fantasies that everything sounds different and they know which is best, when in fact they don't hear anything.

When someone constantly tells you they hear a difference where none is possible why would you believe what they say when a difference is possible. Or, when someone lies 8 out of 10 times do you believe the 2 truths?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

At one point TAS had no advertising and were proud of it.. A stance I could respect ..
I was , then a believer, as a student I would go to Tower Record on Broadway in NYC to pick up my issue.. They didn't come regularly and I could not entirely pay for the subscription so ... I proudly kept my copies for years ... I believed, people.. Did I believe!!! To the point of passing a Kenwood L-07D complete with Arm and a cartridge .... at less than $400 IIRC to rather buy a Pink Triangle TT for more than 3 time the price... because HP recommended it ... Man! As someone posted in another thread TAS= The Absolute Stupidity I displayed then .. :facepalm:

Descartes

Major Contributor
Kal Rubinson and John Atkinson are ASR members, do good work at Stereophile [though JA's comments in the measurements section should be read as if he's writing for Pravda]. Stopped reading Absolute Sound a while ago, we just sort of drifted apart.
Smart people but neither of them have any engineering background or degree

Top Bottom