• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo system upgrade - recommendation please.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why limit yourself to recievers with loudness, you are less likely to get the best amplifier that way. All they do is apply a bass heavy equalistion in any case. Just put a software equaliser on your output from the PC, set it up for loudness, and switch it on and off as needed.

Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, if you are using a PC as a source, that is good advice. If you use a smart phone as a remote control, you night even be able to use it to tuen it on and off.

Last edited:

Godataloss

Actually, there are a number of DACs that serve perfectly well as preamplifiers so long as you limit yourself to digital sources. Examples include the RME ADI-2 FS and the miniDSP SHD.
My miniDSP SHD plays quite nicely with analog sources. A significant majority of my listening is via records.

OP
C
Thank you for your reply gents.

I normally just used the streaming functionality (Spotify connect/Music cast) to play music via Wifi. I had the TV permanently connected via the optical in and didn't use the PC to play music. I don't have any analogue sources.

I suppose I could set up a mini PC to stream music and configure it with a software equaliser for loudness but it will not be as convenient.

Considering the cost of a PC / screen / peripherals & space, would I be better off getting a DAC (with good Bluetooth) + Stereo power amp & a separate used AVR receiver with loudness control? How would I connect speakers to both? I ask this, because when watching movies, the stereo system does not result in clear dialogue so I thought later down the line I would get a mid-range sound bar.

@Godataloss - thank you, but the MiniDSP SHD is a bit out of my price range.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just to provide an update:

I ended up buying Monitor Audio Silver 500's paired with Rotel RB-991 Power Amplifier, Schiit Loki Mini+ tone control and Topping DX3 Pro+.

Thank you everyone for all your input!
Congratulations! You should be very happy with that setup!

Mal

Thanks @MaxBuck - unfortunately those DAC's are way outside my budget. Good to know though!

@tonycollinet - that would be amazing if I could do a home trial. Do they offer it only on speakers or on amplifiers as well?
Ask them! They are the only top retailer in the UK that has an error free returns policy.

"Online shoppers receive misleading information about their rights to return items, leading to widespread confusion, a consumer group has said. Which? studied the websites of 46 retailers and supermarkets. It found that all but one had errors. The only retailer to pass the test was hi-fi seller Richer Sounds.” – BBC News, 16.03.2018.

In my experience, they have been excellent without setting up a special home trial arrangement. I just returned stuff, including speakers and amps, within a month and they charged a small repacking fee, or nothing at all if they were former display items (they have some great clearance bargains, so you can get free home trials of stuff that's been reduced! Best of both worlds.)

Top Bottom