• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo system for US$7000 or €7000

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

Looking for ideas for a stereo system for US$7000 or €7000. That budget is for stereo speakers, amp/s, DAC/s & digital room EQ solution.

It needs decent digital room EQ that applies to all sources.

And since it seems like HDMI is going to stick around for a long while, I was thinking a great starting point is the US$1000 Denon AVR-X3600H amir reviewed. Also Audyssey was reviewed with it.

@amirm didn't review how it performed with subwoofers though.

Choosing the Denon AVR would leave US$6000 or €6000 for speakers.

I could go either full range like GoldenEar Triton Two+ or other passive speakers plus pair of subs.

Thoughts?

Any better or different ideas / combinations?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all

Looking for ideas for a stereo system for US$7000 or €7000. That budget is for stereo speakers, amp/s, DAC/s & digital room EQ solution.

It needs decent digital room EQ that applies to all sources.

And since it seems like HDMI is going to stick around for a long while, I was thinking a great starting point is the US$1000 Denon AVR-X3600H amir reviewed. Also Audyssey was reviewed with it.

@amirm didn't review how it performed with subwoofers though.

Choosing the Denon AVR would leave US$6000 or €6000 for speakers.

I could go either full range like GoldenEar Triton Two+ or other passive speakers plus pair of subs.

Thoughts?

Any better or different ideas / combinations?

What is your listening distance? How loud do you like to listen?

I think that's a good choice for an AVR. Whether or not you go active or passive, I would still want to have dual subs with a budget like that to help with getting good even bass. You may or may not need an external amp, and if you do, it will further eat into your budget. It depends if you go active or passive, how efficient the speakers are, and how loud you like to listen. Personally, I wouldn't want to eat up any of my budget on an external DAC. If it were me, I would use the leftover $6k for 2 speakers and 2 subs. The size of subs you need will depend on your listening habits, listening distance, and room size.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
What is your listening distance? How loud do you like to listen?

~5 meters

I would still want to have dual subs with a budget like that to help with getting good even bass.

The GoldenEar Triton Two+ I mentioned in the opening post features built-in 1600W subwoofers, so that's a pair of subs.

It depends if you go active or passive, how efficient the speakers are, and how loud you like to listen. Personally, I wouldn't want to eat up any of my budget on an external DAC. If it were me, I would use the leftover $6k for 2 speakers and 2 subs. The size of subs you need will depend on your listening habits, listening distance, and room size.

Thanks. Yes I was after specific recommended examples that fit the budget.

I do like to sometimes crank the volume for music sometimes as I will be moving into a large room.

The Triton Two+ are 91dB sensitivity so the Denon may be a good match.

Last edited:
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
What do you have now?

Don't have a speaker system at the moment. Most listening to headphones in an apartment.

Will be moving into a larger home very soon. Am planning the budget.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Ooh...

Starting with a clean slate.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Genelec 8351B plus GLM kit, DAC, DSP, room correction eq all in one package. You do need to get your audio to AES out though.

Would need their SAM subwoofers though which will blow the budget.

I listen to music with lots of sub-bass. And movies.

And as mentioned in opening post, needs to support various HDMI sources, so probably an AVR like the Denon I linked is better suited.

That would leave $6k for speakers (possibly with pair of subs).

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would need their SAM subwoofers though which will blow the budget.

I listen to music with lots of sub-bass. And movies.

And as mentioned in opening post, needs to support various HDMI sources, so probably an AVR like the Denon I linked is better suited.

That would leave $6k for speakers (possibly with pair of subs).

Hmmm I have no idea if you want to go with AVR route, Denon is great, but seems you only looking for 2.1 instead of 7.1+, seems a bit of waste to just level other channel unsued. For me Genelec would still be the way to go since their dsp and room correction is fool proof and build into speakers, you can get a cheaper pair plus sub such as 8350 or 8341, not sure how HDMI going to factor in though.

Another thing is go with DAC+amp and speaker or active speaker, your current headphone setup may benefit from a good DAC or you already got a good one?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Will it also be used for movies, because then I don't know how the 25ms latency would fit in....otherwise it could be the MiniDSP SHD as a source, some Hypex or Purifi amplifiers and whatever is left for speakers.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
For me Genelec would still be the way to go since their dsp and room correction is fool proof and build into speakers, you can get a cheaper pair plus sub such as 8350 or 8341

The problem is hookup of various sources, HDMI & optical. And budget is blown with adding their SAM subs, even 2nd hand.

but seems you only looking for 2.1

not sure how HDMI going to factor in though.

That's a big issue though, not a minor one, for various HDMI sources.

or you already got a good one?

Chord Mojo is good enough for the moment ( with easy to drive Focal headphones).

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Will it also be used for movies, because then I don't know how the 25ms latency would fit in....otherwise it could be the MiniDSP SHD as a source, some Hypex or Purifi amplifiers and whatever is left for speakers.

As, as mentioned in above post, I need it to work with movies too. Hence needs support for various HDMI sources too.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't call the powered woofers in those Tritons "subs". Plus you lose placement advantages of separate subs. Plus I don't support Audioquest, so Triton's not on my list :). The Denon should work fine.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I wouldn't call the powered woofers in those Tritons "subs".

Down to 20 Hz.

1589267647340.png

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
NHT C3 is another option, with dual PSA subs. Sealed for easier integration. Good measurements. KEF R3 could work too, but you would have less left over for treatment.

Thanks! I think a pair of big separate subs allows for cheaper bookshelf options. As long as Auddysey integrates the subs well but we don't know for sure.

And I think leaving more cash over (half the budget) for treatments is the right approach.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1600W and the sub levels are adjustable.

Fair enough but there's some bias against there.

Wattage isn't very meaningful without sensitivity and other details. The drivers are too small IMO.

You betcha, I vote with my dollars and Audioquest gets absolutely none for all the nonsense they sell.....which now includes GE.

Top Bottom