• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo system for US$7000 or €7000

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't imagine putting four up front except maybe in the form of a stack but not just one sub on top of the other, to take advantage of the room modes in the horizontal and vertical planes. Sounds like a fairly large room so why do they need to go up front?

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
. Sounds like a fairly large room so why do they need to go up front?

I think people are assuming it is a dedicated listening room - I wish :-(

It's going to be one very large open plan space, with living room + dining + kitchen.

Sadly won't be able to any gear beyond the couch area, so I only have the wall that the TV will be at. This is one reason there will be no rear speakers also but I'm quite happy with just 2 or 3 speakers at the 'front' anyway.

It's going to be tricky because even if I can have the subs symmetrical, the room itself is not.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would need their SAM subwoofers though which will blow the budget.

I listen to music with lots of sub-bass. And movies.

And as mentioned in opening post, needs to support various HDMI sources, so probably an AVR like the Denon I linked is better suited.

That would leave $6k for speakers (possibly with pair of subs).
Kef Ref 3s with a pair of SVS SB 2000s or PB2000s, dual Hypex NC400 kits and a miniDSP SHD. Will come in under $6k and very few compromises on anything, and will include Dirac Live 2 as your DSP. For $7000 you could even swap in SB 3000 subs. You could even buy a dirt cheap AV receiver used, have it do the DA conversion for your HDMI sources, output as two channel analog to the miniDSP and have it do an AD conversion (and yes Dirac will work on that stream as well). That way anything like streaming music or if you're streaming a movie out of a PC can go through the PC's usb and take advantage of the superior performance of the miniDSP/NCore electronics. Obviously anything you have to source through HDMI will have the limited fidelity DA converters of the AV receiver, but they would have had that in any case, it's just that your other use cases will run through a better signal path, and you'll have Diract Live instead of Auddessy for all your DSP.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think people are assuming it is a dedicated listening room - I wish :-(

It's going to be one very large open plan space, with living room + dining + kitchen.

Sadly won't be able to any gear beyond the couch area, so I only have the wall that the TV will be at. This is one reason there will be no rear speakers also but I'm quite happy with just 2 or 3 speakers at the 'front' anyway.

It's going to be tricky because even if I can have the subs symmetrical, the room itself is not.

Actually I was thinking it would be some situation like you describe, seems few have dedicated listening rooms. Is it because you don't want wires past the couch? Or?

Top Bottom