• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo Sub Vs Dual Mono

FrankW

If i run my sub woofer under 40 Hz, not considering room nodes, would stereo or mono make a difference? The bass from my main speakers will go down to about 35 Hz.
No. Any chance of lateralisation perception with non mono bass will be above 40hz. Any chance of lateralisation with mono bass is zero (or delusion)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Already in my first post at the first page in this very thread, I linked to the pdf where you can read the report by David Griesinger.

Here you have it:

Loudspeaker and listener positions for optimal low-frequency spatial reproduction in listening rooms. http://www.davidgriesinger.com/asa05.pdf

Thanks, I did read that the first time around, didn't realize it was the same one. Thanks for referring to it again!

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I think all we can conclude here is that you don't hear or perceive stereo bass. That doesn't make it not a thing.

I didn't actually say it wasn't a thing.

Based on the study it is a thing for parts of the frequency area in the bass if you have set up your system very carefully in the room to achieve it, and dependent upon certain recording techniques so not present in the way demonstrated in the study on all recordings.

I still maintain that the effect of this is likely not great in most setups, especially at the expense of both linearity and capacity. If one has both been able to set up their system in a room to benefit of this and listen to recordings where this is present, that's great.

That doesn't mean that mono bass is suddenly bad advice for most people in most situations.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I didn't actually say it wasn't a thing.

Based on the study it is a thing for parts of the frequency area in the bass if you have set up your system very carefully in the room to achieve it, and dependent upon certain recording techniques so not present in the way demonstrated in the study on all recordings.

I still maintain that the effect of this is likely not great in most setups, especially at the expense of both linearity and capacity. If one has both been able to set up their system in a room to benefit of this and listen to recordings where this is present, that's great.

That doesn't mean that mono bass is suddenly bad advice for most people in most situations.
I don't think anybody said mono bass is bad advice, just that stereo bass is absolutely better if you have the layout, gear, and skill to set it up. Just because something is better doesn't make the other thing bad. There are only benefits to be had when set up effectively, and stereo bass is also far more pervasive in recordings than people admit or are aware of.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I agree. Particularly with modern electronic music. I think that mono will be fine for those with a low enough crossover and listening to music where the lower frequencies are not panned. This panning happens frequently in modern electronic music, so I want to hear it properly, in stereo.

andyc56

There's a new video with Todd Welti on the Audioholics youtube channel. It covers topics including stereo bass. Its main purpose is to discuss a new Denon and Marantz feature that allows "directional bass", which extends the stereo bass idea to multi-channel.

Although they don't mention it specifically, it made me recognize certain rhetorical aspects of the online discussions regarding stereo bass. This feature is presented implicitly as something that confers only benefits, as if there were no downside whatsoever. There is a downside though. With stereo bass, you give up on modal control (which requires mono bass). Modal control is essential to reduce seat-to-seat response variation, which can become extreme.

Edit: One might make the argument that if you're only concerned with a single seat, there's no advantage to mono bass. But consider a single listening position, the MLP, using two subs. Let's say one of those subs gives a response suckout the MLP at some frequency, while the other has a strong response at that frequency at the MLP. When combined, one sub "fills in the gaps" of the other at the MLP, giving a moderate response dip and making the summation much easier to equalize. But for this summation to work properly, mono bass is required, so this argument breaks down as well. The advantages of mono bass are not limited to the multiple listening position scenario.

One amusing part of the video occurs when Matthew Poes describes some discussions he had about stereo bass with David Griesinger. Apparently, David had Matthew set up multiple subs in his bathroom in an attempt to demonstrate some aspect of stereo bass. I got a kick out of that.

Last edited:

Igor Kirkwood

The question of mono bass vs. stereo bass is one of the most interesting questions posed by High Fidelity reproduction.
Am Igor Kirkwood sound engineer and of course I know that the result of the different types of sound recording strongly impacts the reproduction of music.
To illustrate my point and pay homage to John Eargle I would choose one of my favourites: track 8 Shostakovich 8th symphony 3rd movement.
Remember that John Eargle mainly uses 2 omnidirectional microphones very far from each other.

When comparing subs/mono Vs stereo subs, the latter wins by far, with a remarkable 3D sound image.

If we take 2 subs/stereo measurements Vs 4 mono subs, the result of the curves is however better in mono sub =8.9/10 in mono and in stereo = 8,4/10

Paradoxical in High Fidelity ! !

Note the phase opposition of the 2 stereo subs à la Griesinger, which further increases the stereophonic effect when listening.

20230518_155458 (1).jpg

LG OLED 88'8k + Center Q900x 3.PNG

surround.jpg

croquis new.PNG

STEREO 2 SUB (GRIESINGER) CURVES

155bMFIR3SUB2a-p1.png

4 SUBS MONO CURVES

155aMFIR3SUB1a-p1.png

Last edited:

FrankW

If we take 2 subs/stereo measurements VS 4 mono subs, the result of the curves is however better in mono sub
The only thing such an apples to oranges comparison shows is that spatial averaging works. Not exactly news.
Now try >2 subs on each stereo side spatial averaging, then apply EQ (down) to any excessive peaks only.

Owl

Interesting discussion regarding sub-woofers. I was wondering how one defines, " sub-woofer ". Is it less than a certain frequency? What about a 4-way tower speaker that has incorporated a low frequency driver.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1684435081769.png

May I ask what is that speaker below the TV? The KEF Q900 you noted in your diagram is a different looking speaker according to the Net.

FrankW

What about a 4-way tower speaker that has incorporated a low frequency driver.
That's right where the "sub" is in stereo playback and coincidentally where the most advanced audio systems put "subs", like our perceptual luminary JJ' proprietary system (NOT stereo!) as a starting point for perceptual reconstruction of actual events. A lot of forum nonsensical myths arose from misreading the Welti paper.

jlo

May I ask what is that speaker below the TV? The KEF Q900 you noted in your diagram is a different looking speaker according to the Net.
The loudspeakers below the TV screen has 5 coaxials bass/mid + tweeters same as the one in the Kef Q900

jlo

Interesting discussion regarding sub-woofers. I was wondering how one defines, " sub-woofer ". Is it less than a certain frequency? What about a 4-way tower speaker that has incorporated a low frequency driver.
In Igor's system, the subwoofers receive signals lower than about 75Hz

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The loudspeakers below the TV screen has 5 coaxials bass/mid + tweeters same as the one in the Kef Q900
Sorry to be thick, does that mean they are DIY?

jlo

Following Griesinger's recommandations, we tried to place subwoofers (grouped front+left, back+right) so to excite different low frequency modes but keeping L+R summation relatively flat, see picture (L is blue, R is red, L+R is black)

LFgriesinger.jpg

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Following Griesinger's recommandations, we tried to place subwoofers (grouped front+left, back+right) so to excite different low frequency modes but keeping L+R summation relatively flat, see picture

View attachment 286419
A single location or average of the listening area?

Top Bottom