• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo Recording Recommendation Needed

1231rq32r1qw32r

Hello everyone!

I have a bit of an odd requirement here. I've recently ripped the computer out of my music studio, everything is now sequenced by hardware and controlled via a small analogue mixer.

However, I now need a small ADC to record the stereo master of the mixer. I don't care about headphone outs or mic pres, I just was a good quality conversion for decent money (£200?). Balanced I/O is a must.

So far, the thing that appears to meet my requirements is the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. However, this has mic pres (I've already got plenty of them) and what looks like independent gain control of each channel, as well as a headphone amp.

Is there anything more suitable? Or should I just buy the Scarlett and ignore the extra features?

Trell

Major Contributor
What digital connection out from the ADC do you need?

You said you ripped out your PC so USB is out of the question? I ask since the Scarlet only has USB for digital out.

OP
1231rq32r1qw32r

1231rq32r1qw32r

Ah yes, sorry I should have clarified. I can use USB (I'll record on a laptop or something, maybe an iPad?).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Windows, probably Linux, Android and Windows as a controller.
For reading purposes:
As we had dramatic reaction about it recently.

Best regards.

Trell

Major Contributor
Ah yes, sorry I should have clarified. I can use USB (I'll record on a laptop or something, maybe an iPad?).

You'll need to check if the ADC works as intended for your operating system of choice for recording as the support varies among devices.

I guess that an USB audio interface is the easiest to find and just ignore the features you don't want and many interfaces are reviewed here on ASR.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
You'll probably want to look for a class compliant interface, of which there should be a fair few these days. The Tascam US-2x2HR and Arturia Minifuse 2 would be some of the better options for stereo line-in (the latter will handle about 1.5 dB higher input levels at up to +22 dBu and sports correspondingly higher dynamic range of ~112 dB(A) as well, though distortion at the top end is a bit worse).

OP
1231rq32r1qw32r

1231rq32r1qw32r

Just to follow up on this topic, and to close it off.

I purchased a Tascam US-2x2HR. It was terrible. Output would clip heavily at 3/4 on the pot. Input was almost impossible to balance between each preamp for stereo recording. I was kind of shocked at how terrible it was.

I sold that (losing £100 in the process) and purchased a E1DA Cosmos ADC (A rated). It's excellent - really gorgeous sounding. The only problem is latency, but I don't care about that right now.

OP
1231rq32r1qw32r

1231rq32r1qw32r

It was the output that distorted heavily at 3/4. Even playing back from the computer, not just from the pre amps. 0DBFS signals, of course.

Input was too difficult to balance adequately for stereo recording.

Really poor unit in my opinion.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It was the output that distorted heavily at 3/4. Even playing back from the computer, not just from the pre amps. 0DBFS signals, of course.
That in itself is not saying much. It is not uncommon to have some excess gain built-in so full analog output can still be reached with a quieter signal, and 3/4 up (where is that, 2 o'clock?) would be 6-10 dB below maximum, so not an unreasonable amount. The interesting question is how loud do things go before clipping. @Julian Krause got about +17 dBV (+19 dBu) out of his line-out at -1 dBFS (100 kOhm load), plenty of output for such an interface if you ask me.

OP
1231rq32r1qw32r

1231rq32r1qw32r

Not saying much?! It’s unacceptable to me to have a unit like this distort at any volume. Full gain should not distort - this is not a guitar pedal. If I can’t deliver distortion free signal at full gain, the manufacturer should have reduced what full gain is. Unacceptable, totally. Why have a output that clips horribly at full gain? Who want that?

I would not recommend anyone wast their time with this unit unless you want to spend hours listening to see where the output clipped, or when the dual inputs are balanced.

It’s garbage and in my opinion isn’t worth any where near the 130 I paid for it.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
By your logic the combination of any run of the mill CD player and ordinary integrated amplifier would be quite broken... its excess gain is approaching 20 dB, so amplifier clipping level at 0 dBFS is reached somewhere around 12 o'clock.

It is quite common to be recording with target peak levels of -12 or even -18 dBFS. Having some excess gain means that material like this can be played back correspondingly louder.

Besides, by the time the output does start to clip, the monitors connected should be blaring at an insane volume. For example, typical Genelecs at their minimum input sensitivity setting are at 94 dB SPL @ 1 m for 0 dBu in, so we'd be looking at >112 dB SPL peak @ 1 m per speaker. At this point, either the speakers would be decidedly unhappy or you would be running for the hills or at least the hearing protection.

No, with remotely sensible gain-staging this should be a complete non-issue.

BTW, it struck me that your input balance troubles might have been related to which input jacks you were using... there should be an approx. 11 dB level difference between XLR mic-in (+9 dBu max) and TRS line-in (+20 dBu max), resulting in different level pot positions that may be more or less touchy. But as I said, I've only encountered severely touchy gain pots near the top of the range, past 2-3 o'clock in particular. In any case, at least correcting a small level imbalance in post tends to be an inconvenience only, even if it still is one.

Oh, and you paid £130 and lost 100? Somebody got one hell of a deal on a barely used US-2x2HR there.

Trell

Major Contributor
For example, typical Genelecs at their minimum input sensitivity setting are at 94 dB SPL @ 1 m for 0 dBu in, so we'd be looking at >112 dB SPL peak @ 1 m per speaker. At this point, either the speakers would be decidedly unhappy or you would be running for the hills or at least the hearing protection.

Genelec have 100 dB SPL @ 1 m for -6 dBu in for their 8xxx series, but now I'm nitpicking. :)

OP
1231rq32r1qw32r

1231rq32r1qw32r

I’m not debating this. The unit distorts terribly at a factory setting. It’s not possible to balance the preamps for stereo. It is not possible to get anything decent out of this unit. This is not a good purchase.

I’ve got no interest in defending my poor purchases. I’ve had plenty of interfaces and this was by far the worst.

I paid, 140 plus postage. Sold it for 50. Here’s the auction. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tascam-U...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

OP
1231rq32r1qw32r

1231rq32r1qw32r

I’m very happy with my Cosmo. I thought this forum was better than this. Yes, I know you have some measurements from the unit but it was not at all suitable for my use case.

Poke your head out from your spreadsheet for a second and realise that the application did not suit this unit at all.

Top Bottom