• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo intergrated Amplifier - Recommendation for LS50 Meta + KC62

DrStuhl

Hello everyone,

I'm looking forward to upgrade my Amp and I can't decide on which one I should take a closer look.

I'm currently running an NAD C326BEE with Topping E30 DAC on my KEF LS50 Meta + KEF KC62.
Budget is about 2000-3000€

What I would like to have:
- I would like to have it a little more power than now, even though my room is fairly small. I would like to have high transparency in sound.
- I'd like to try a room correction software at some point (and ability to high pass filter would be great)
- HDMI-Input is optional (since I'm also using it a lot for TV and movies)

I've got the following devices on my list yet:
- MiniDSP SHD Power (has everything in it, even though I don't know if it will be the best choice in transparency)
- Hegel H120 (+ Minidsp DDRC24) (has some good reputation, but seems pretty expensive for its features)
- Lyngdorf TDAI-1120

Any thoughts on the devices? Can somebody recommend other amps/setups?

Thanks!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The miniDSP ShD is probably the best measuring in terms of Sinad. The Hegel is overpriced (plus their stuff doesn't measure all that well) and the DDRC24 is just the 2 x 4 HD with Dirac Live, and that was measured a long time ago, and was characterized as having a "$30 DAC" by Amir (90 db SINAD). There was also a Lyngdorf integrated reviewed which, was, I think, the more expensive big brother of the 1120, and though its features (specifically room correction) were favorably reviewed, its SINAD numbers were also mediocre.

OP
D

DrStuhl

The miniDSP ShD is probably the best measuring in terms of Sinad. The Hegel is overpriced (plus their stuff doesn't measure all that well) and the DDRC24 is just the 2 x 4 HD with Dirac Live, and that was measured a long time ago, and was characterized as having a "$30 DAC" by Amir (90 db SINAD). There was also a Lyngdorf integrated reviewed which, was, I think, the more expensive big brother of the 1120, and though its features (specifically room correction) were favorably reviewed, its SINAD numbers were also mediocre.
Thanks for the reply.

RME ADI-2 DAC FS + AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC would make a better (and way cheaper) option I guess? Even though that wouldn't have proper room correction.

Astojab

Or keep the E30 and get a SHD Studio+AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC, since the DAC performance seem to be pretty similar?

Or if you don't want 3 seperate boxes the SHD non power variant?

OP
D

DrStuhl

Well I just ordered one for myself. Hopefully it comes in when expected late Nov early Dec. It will be powering my LS50 Metas.

I'm curious what you report when it arrives. What's your setup right now?

Jackpine

The NAD will be replacing an Emotiva XSP-1 pre, HK Signature 2.1 amp and Cambridge DACMagic Plus. The LS50 Metas replaced some B&W 683s. A Marantz CD player, Linn Turntable and Velodyne sub will remain.

alitomr1979

In case you didnt decide, check this post: https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-ls50-meta-vs-kef-r3.27233/post-991785 Also the few others I posted in that thread.

Short version:
1. Peachtree Amp500 (currently recertified at 1000usd, an steal! after having tried a few 2k amps)
2. SMSL M400 DAC: 800usd.
3. Get Roon and perform room correction with its parametric EQ and features (120usd a year I think)
4. Optional if you need a streamer: Bluesound NODE is solid.

This might not be very convenient because Roon requires a server. Not one as powerful as they suggest, because I have mine in an old Pentium G4400 thats running a FreeNAS server. Roon server is running in a VM with Ubuntu and that thing is an appliance. Set it and forget it.

You cant go wrong with RME ADI2DAC, and you can EQ with it. I suggest you read about the qualities of whatever Room correction that you use, because with the level of transparency the metas bring to the table it is likely that you end up inserting something in the chain that substract from the overall audio quality you get.

Good luck.

Top Bottom