• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo in/out from sub on laptop ... ???

xtal_01

OK, my wife wanted to play something on one program .... mix it with her voice .... then put it back into the computer on a zoom session.

So .... she had an external mixer a few decent powered microphones ....

I bought a cheap USB to audio adapter ... think it was $10

It had a USB plug to go into the laptop.

The small enclosure had two 3.5mm plugs.

I took one (output) to an open channel on the mixer.

I took the other from the mixer out put (that had now combined the computer output with a microphone) and fed that back into the other jack on the adapter.

It works ...well I bought two or three and one worked.

**** I was going to post a picture of the site I got it from but it is gone and looking at other sites I see some are 3 pole and some are 4 pole inputs ***** I just wanted a three pole stereo jack (or RCA jacks or ...) **********

I also might have made a mistake in that they are all marked microphone input .... I am putting in line level ( I always thought this was about 0-1 volt) from the mixer.

She used it several times.

Problem .... I am sure the audio is not great quality.

She wants to do this again ... maybe even more microphones so the mixer idea is still great.

Is there a better adapter I can get ?

I am guessing (you are talking to a none electronics guy) there is an a/d and d/a converter in there (don't know how since it is soooooo small).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks .... Mike

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
She wants to do this again ... maybe even more microphones so the mixer idea is still great.

Is there a better adapter I can get ?
Sure, what's your budget and what model mixer is this (so we have an idea of the inputs and outputs available and the potential for ground loops)?

As a first step, I would suggest downloading Voicemeeter and using that for mixing the recording from the mic input with the background track "in the box". Then you'll save the D/A-A/D roundtrip at least.
I also might have made a mistake in that they are all marked microphone input .... I am putting in line level ( I always thought this was about 0-1 volt) from the mixer.
Assuming it's a typical compact mixer from the likes of Behringer or Mackie, those can generally handle much higher levels than a ca. 1 Vrms input (which such a mic input should handle as long as preamplification is disabled, check recording device properties). For a decent match, I'd suggest setting the main output fader to -9 to -16 dB.

I am guessing (you are talking to a none electronics guy) there is an a/d and d/a converter in there (don't know how since it is soooooo small).
Well, have you seen USB-C dongles? Or how big do you think the sound codec in your phone is?

In these inexpensive USB sound sticks you'll generally find a single chip solution like this one. It's probably a good idea to use 48 kHz in/out, although YMMV with these things.

OP
X

xtal_01

Sure, what's your budget and what model mixer is this (so we have an idea of the inputs and outputs available and the potential for ground loops)?

As a first step, I would suggest downloading Micrometer and using that for mixing the recording from the mic input with the background track "in the box". Then you'll save the D/A-A/D roundtrip at least.

Assuming it's a typical compact mixer from the likes of Behringer or Mackie, those can generally handle much higher levels than a ca. 1 Vrms input (which such a mic input should handle as long as preamplification is disabled, check recording device properties). For a decent match, I'd suggest setting the main output fader to -9 to -16 dB.

Well, have you seen USB-C dongles? Or how big do you think the sound codec in your phone is?

In these inexpensive USB sound sticks you'll generally find a single chip solution like this one. It's probably a good idea to use 48 kHz in/out, although YMMV with these things.
Actually the mixers are the best part of the system. She has two Yamaha units ... EMX2000 powered mixer and a MG10XU.

She was just using a cheap dongle plugged into the USB port on the laptop to get two audio jacks (mic and headphones).

I simply used the mic to go the the mixer and then took the mixer line out and put into the mic jack.

I "think" I found what I am looking for .... it is a "USB external sound card". It has a USB, mic in, line in, and output (front, center and rear). For what I am doing, I only need the front out ... is that correct? There are several out there ... $15 - $25

I don't know if one is better than any other?

Here is a link to one: adapter on amazon

Thanks so much ... Mike

Top Bottom