• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo imaging and center channel

TankTop

Like the title says, how does a center channel effect stereo imaging? Or better yet, how does surround sound processing sending so much information to the center channel effect imaging? I think Atmos and DTS X are supposed to address this (maybe) but I was running 3.1 for awhile after running 2.1 and I “felt” like I lost imaging with 3.1. Anyone have any theory or fact to either support or bust my “feeling”?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The center channel replaces the phantom center, so it's no surprise. The cues we use to construct the phantom image aren't there anymore. There's a lot of research about this problem. Helmut Wittek and Francis Rumsey have written a great deal about it.

There are distinct differences of opinion here. For clarity, the material played by the center channel is easily better when compared to the equivalent over a stereo pair. But despite its limitations (dependence on early reflections for a sense of envelopment, for example), stereo is the most effective setup for the phantom image cohesion. That trade-off between stereo and multichannel systems hasn't been resolved yet.

Last edited:
OP
T

TankTop

The center channel replaces the phantom center, so it's no surprise. The cues we use to construct the phantom image aren't there anymore. There's a lot of research about this problem. Helmut Wittek and Francis Rumsey have written a great deal about it.

There are distinct differences of opinion here. For clarity, the material played by the center channel is easily better when compared to the equivalent over a stereo pair. But despite it's limitations (dependence on early reflections for a sense of envelopment, for example), stereo is the most effective setup for the phantom image cohesion. That trade-off between stereo and multichannel systems hasn't been resolved yet.

Perhaps some sort of stereo cohesion between all the speakers in a Atmos/DTS-x using something similar to Dirac to create 3-dimensional sound. I wonder if we have the processing power to achieve this yet?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It's really an experimental field at this point.

There seems to be some kind of unbridgeable disconnect between creating or recording music or soundfields in general with a discrete number of channels, and then playing them back over an undefined system. I imagine the way to solve this is through an object-based system like videogames use. I'm not sure if such a system would be complimentary to stereo or not.

Top Bottom