• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo Bass using subwoofers

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“I believe that it is better to stick to a mono bass system characterized by multiple mono bass sources spread throughout the room and crossed over at around 80hz.”

Can someone please explain what does it mean? I mean how to implement this concept.
It is easiest to do with a MiniDSP. The subs are connected to the outputs of the MiniDSP, which receives the subwoofer preout from a multichannel A/V Receiver or integrated amplifier with bass management. The MiniDSP is configured with individual delays for each sub to achieve the smoothest overall response. The source then continues to assume you have "one" subwoofer and equalizes the combined response. EQ can also be implemented in the MiniDSP itself.

Digital_Thor

“I believe that it is better to stick to a mono bass system characterized by multiple mono bass sources spread throughout the room and crossed over at around 80hz.”

Can someone please explain what does it mean? I mean how to implement this concept.
I see no reason to be concerned, when we're talking about bass beneath 100hz or so. Most properly made movies have a dedicated subwoofer channel - and with a DSP you simply divided that into 2- 4 subwoofers to spread out the sound sources in the room and by that, even out the FR.
At low frequencies and in a small(normal) room. We do not have to worry about stereo as such. I believe we have to be almost pedantic - to search for a scenario or music - where a stereo image, could be corrupted by subwoofers. At least there would be other problems that often needs to be addressed first. Like very good damping in the room, precise and well-thought-out EQ usage and a rather good proof, that there is not some distortion going on in the subwoofer or main speakers.
One problem could be the use of standard subwoofers, where a superior control of EQ is not available. Even ludicrously expensive speakers/subwoofers, can have hopelessly simple EQ possibilities.
I simply "dig" out the low frequencies from my right channel and feed 2 subwoofers.... does the same to the left. I'm very sensitive to poor bass - and is very satisfied with my current setup - for both music and movies.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One problem could be the use of standard subwoofers, where a superior control of EQ is not available. Even ludicrously expensive speakers/subwoofers, can have hopelessly simple EQ possibilities.
Subwoofers don't need their own EQ; that is best done by a processor with control over all of the speakers in the system, including bass management. Especially because the speakers they are blending with need the same treatment.

Digital_Thor

Subwoofers don't need their own EQ; that is best done by a processor with control over all of the speakers in the system, including bass management. Especially because the speakers they are blending with need the same treatment.
And by this, you mean individual control of all speakers and subwoofers - right? Because I referred to having a Surround receiver with only one subwoofer output - most often the case - which is where they need their own EQ.

Manojrc

Sub or Not??

I've a pair of floor standing speakers which claims to have a frequency response of 22Hz - 20Khz. It has built in Class D powered bass drivers.
I largely listen to 80s-90s Bollywood songs which are poorly recorded. Question is, in such situation, whether a high quality subwoofer like Rythmik G25HP makes any difference in getting some extra bass energy from music ( I don't use it for movies, btw ) ? Or should I get something like MiniDSP DDRC-24/SHD/SHD Studio ( & no SUB ) and boost the lower frequencies since the floorstanders are capable of producing it anyway. Also the larger question is, for music that too a poorly recorded one, do we really need a sub?

Btw, here's the speaker spec if that helps to suggest a solution.

Full range:
Horn loaded labyrinth: 2.2m ( 7" – 4") length
Full range driver: Custom designed
7 inch paper cone w/whizzer
Foam surround
Voice coil dia.: 32mm
Sensitivity: 99 db/w/m at 1khz, or mean averaged from 200hz to 2khz

Bass:
Sealed Isobaric chamber: 50 lit. volume.
Bass drivers: Custom designed; 4 units per enclosure
7.5 inch paper cone
Rubber surround
Voice coil dia: 25 mm
Sensitivity ( of each driver ): 91 db/w/m
Bass module amplification: one monobloc per enclosure
Hypex UCD digital amp
Max. output: 400 wpc @ 8 ohms.
Level Control
Continuously variable active crossover filter controls

System:
Loudspeaker sensitivity: 100 db/w/m.
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms.
Frequency response: 22 Hz to 20 Khz.
Minimum amplification power: 2 wpc

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sub or Not??

I've a pair of floor standing speakers which claims to have a frequency response of 22Hz - 20Khz. It has built in Class D powered bass drivers.
I largely listen to 80s-90s Bollywood songs which are poorly recorded. Question is, in such situation, whether a high quality subwoofer like Rythmik G25HP makes any difference in getting some extra bass energy from music ( I don't use it for movies, btw ) ? Or should I get something like MiniDSP DDRC-24/SHD/SHD Studio ( & no SUB ) and boost the lower frequencies since the floorstanders are capable of producing it anyway. Also the larger question is, for music that too a poorly recorded one, do we really need a sub?

Btw, here's the speaker spec if that helps to suggest a solution.

Full range:
Horn loaded labyrinth: 2.2m ( 7" – 4") length
Full range driver: Custom designed
7 inch paper cone w/whizzer
Foam surround
Voice coil dia.: 32mm
Sensitivity: 99 db/w/m at 1khz, or mean averaged from 200hz to 2khz

Bass:
Sealed Isobaric chamber: 50 lit. volume.
Bass drivers: Custom designed; 4 units per enclosure
7.5 inch paper cone
Rubber surround
Voice coil dia: 25 mm
Sensitivity ( of each driver ): 91 db/w/m
Bass module amplification: one monobloc per enclosure
Hypex UCD digital amp
Max. output: 400 wpc @ 8 ohms.
Level Control
Continuously variable active crossover filter controls

System:
Loudspeaker sensitivity: 100 db/w/m.
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms.
Frequency response: 22 Hz to 20 Khz.
Minimum amplification power: 2 wpc

If you have sufficient bass from your speakers then the main reason to add (a) sub(s) is to smooth in-room response. You can position the sub(s) to moderate nulls in the bass response caused by room dimensions and your seating position. If the bass response is flat enough, clean enough, and low enough at the main listening position (MLP) then you probably do not need a sub. If there are large dips in the frequency response then subs can help with that.

FWIWFM - Don

Old, old, post on why I have subs follows.

I use subs, and have for decades, for all the usual reasons:

- Very (perhaps extremely) few "large" speakers actually play well below 40 Hz let alone 20 Hz. They distort heavily when presented with large bass signals (which most are -- see Fletcher-Munson) and driving them down low robs headroom for higher frequencies and causes distortion well above the fundamental signal frequency (harmonic and nasty intermodulation). Subs typically enable the mains to operate with much lower distortion.

- Very rare is the room setup such that the best place for stereo imaging and soundfield is the best place for the subs (or deep bass drivers) to counter room modes and such. Having independent subs provides placement options to smooth the in-room response. It is almost impossible to counter a null without subs (typically must move the MLP or change the room's dimensions though there are purpose-built panels that can also work). This is one of the things that led me to subs despite having quite capable mains.

- Powered subs offload the main amplifiers of the need to provide deep bass energy, providing more headroom and cleaner sound from the amplifiers.

- Music (let alone action movies) often contains deep bass content even if it is not real obvious. Kick drums, tympani, organ, sure, but also piano hammer strikes, plucked strings, beat patterns from instruments playing together, etc. May not really notice when they are there but usually obvious when they are taken away. Having subs fill in the bottom octave or three can make a difference.

- Purpose-built subs can provide high output cleanly at relatively low cost. The amplifiers and drivers need only cover a fairly limited frequency range so have fewer constraints upon them than woofers in a full-range system.

I do prefer main speakers with fairly deep bass and always have. Crossovers are not brick walls so a fair amount of energy still comes from the mains an octave below the crossover frequency. Higher-order crossovers allow you to reduce the overlap, but I still like having the capability. I have never really understood the idea of running "passive" bi-amping as implemented by an AVR (sending full-range signals to multiple channels and letting the speaker's crossovers separate frequency bands -- wastes amplifier headroom and seems to me of little benefit). Nor do I agree with the "plus" setting putting subs and mains in parallel; again, my idea has always been to isolate the two for the reasons above.

My first sub was a DIY design using an Infinity IRS woofer with my own control box to provide the crossover and a servo circuit using the second voice coil of the woofer. I had a Hafler DH-220 around so also incorporated a circuit to bridge it for use as a subwoofer amp. It worked well and the -3 dB point was ~16 Hz. I now run four small (F12) Rythmik subs using a similar (but updated) servo design with my Revel Salon2's and am happy with the result.

FWIWFM/IME/IMO/my 0.000001 cent (microcent) - Don

Stereo subs:

I have gone back and forth on stereo subs over many years (since ~1979/1980 when I built my first sub) and ultimately decided it is not worth it. It limits placement and correction options, almost no stereo content exits at sub frequencies (remember a wavelength is >11 feet at 100 Hz, >22 feet at 50 Hz, just how much stereo separation can there be in a normal listening situation?), and the end result was always much better when I ran the subs mono and placed them optimally for best in-room bass response. If your crossover is so high and/or filter roll-off so low that your subs intrude into the lower midrange you might appreciate stereo but I have always rolled off well below the point at which I could localize the subs. For years I ran stereo subs but many tests blind and otherwise convinced me stereo subs are just an unnecessary hassle that actually reduced my system's performance and sound.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And by this, you mean individual control of all speakers and subwoofers - right? Because I referred to having a Surround receiver with only one subwoofer output - most often the case - which is where they need their own EQ.
Boutique subs have room EQ such as ARC built in, but I'm not convinced it's worth paying the extra for. Give me "dumb" speakers and "dumb" TVs and I'm happy :)

My Denon, Chromecast, and PlayStation will be the brains of the operation.

CumSum

Sub or Not??

For a pair of speakers to not need subwoofers, it needs to have a lot of output down to 20Hz (110dB+) AND a gigantic, perfectly shaped listening room that is free of any issues a typical room would cause.

A speaker having 110dB+ of output at 20Hz is as much of a unicorn as having a listening room that is devoid of any room modes. So if you want the best sound, you will need subwoofers. And if you get subs then you will need a MiniDSP that will handle both the mains and the subs to get the best sound out of your system.

Manojrc

Perhaps not for music, but for movies, definitely.

That is my question !! Whether a sub adds any value to music reproduction if the floor standing speakers can already go all the way down to 22 Hz??
Will a sub solve the recording problem during play back in this case?

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That is my question !! Whether a sub adds any value to music reproduction if the floor standing speakers can already go all the way down to 22 Hz??

The issue is not a recording problem, i.e. an issue with the bass from the source, but modes and other boundary reflections due to your room's dimensions and your listening position that cause uneven bass response. If you are sitting in a null with the main speakers where they need to be for proper stereo imaging, then basically you can move the MLP, resize the room, or add subs.

Check out Todd Welti's presentation ( https://www.harman.com/documents/multsubs_0.pdf ) and search for information on room modes for further information. It is not a matter of how capable your main speakers are, but where they are placed, and for the majority of us the best place for the main speakers leads to uneven bass. Subs can resolve that without moving the furniture or rebuilding the house.

I have long argued to the contrary on the position that subs are not needed for music. Percussives from drum strikes, piano hammers, plucked strings, and things like subharmonics from groups of instruments playing or voices singing together, all contribute very LF energy to music that is lost without proper deep bass reproduction. These are things embedded in all music, not special sounds like the 1812's cannons or deep organ fundamentals, and I miss them without good bass response.

HTH - Don

CumSum

Measure your speakers at your listening position. If you get a flat response to 22Hz then congratulations you can get by without subs. Most likely that won't happen.

You will probably have many dips. Some of which may exist around 20-50Hz. So any deep bass your speaker may have might be completely wiped out. From my own experience, this happens in both my bedroom and home theater. I have speakers that can hit 30Hz flat in both cases, but the nulls in the room makes them not much better than a speaker that can only hit 55Hz.

Also frequency extension in a speaker will come at the expense of output. That's the tradeoff in speaker design. Your speakers are probably rated for 22Hz at -6dB. Even then that might be a bit optimistic. A target curve for a speaker system should have 20Hz at +6dB (minimum) over the midrange. So your speakers are at a -12dB deficit for where the bass should be.

And the actual usable output at 22Hz is probably somewhere between 85-95dB. And your speakers will produce much more distortion when compared to a big subwoofer. And will be more inefficient.

Now my point of view is from having the best possible performance a speaker system you can muster inside of a given room. You don't have to go to the extremes that someone like me goes to in order to enjoy a speaker system. Just know that performance is being left on the table and there is room to improve if you choose to do so later.

Last edited:

CumSum

I was just saying you don't need 110 dB at 20 Hz for music. Or at least, most people don't listen that loud.
Depends on the music and the room plus distance from the speakers to the listener. On my desk with a nearfield setup, I certainly don't need that much output. I'm just pointing out that a true "full range" speaker not only needs extension down to 20Hz but also needs plentiful output down there as well.

And it isn't necessarily about listening at 110dB. A target curve should have 20Hz at least+6dB above 1Khz. So if you are listening to music at 95dB, then you need your speakers/subs to have 101dB worth of 20Hz output (probably more depending on the song's mix). And it's never great running a speaker or subwoofer at its limit as distortion and heat can become an issue so it is nice to have some additional headroom available.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If there is a difference in bass level in left and right channel you will always get more bass in scenario where bass is summed up to mono and then sent to both channels vs when it is played as stereo.

Let's assume that recording of one channel has 80dB bass and the other 75dB bass. If played in stereo this equals to 81.2dB but if played as 2 times summed mono it is 81.2+81.2=84.2dB. Those 3dB of difference would certainly be audible.
In phase bass will add 6db not 3

Manojrc

Depends on the music and the room plus distance from the speakers to the listener. On my desk with a nearfield setup, I certainly don't need that much output. I'm just pointing out that a true "full range" speaker not only needs extension down to 20Hz but also needs plentiful output down there as well.

And it isn't necessarily about listening at 110dB. A target curve should have 20Hz at least+6dB above 1Khz. So if you are listening to music at 95dB, then you need your speakers/subs to have 101dB worth of 20Hz output (probably more depending on the song's mix). And it's never great running a speaker or subwoofer at its limit as distortion and heat can become an issue so it is nice to have some additional headroom available.
Can’t we compensate the dip with bass boost and/or equalization combined with something like miniDSP/Dirac combo? I’m not a musician but wondering how often music notes go down below 30Hz !! Therefore if we use some room correction system and equalization/bass boost, probably a speaker which has a claimed frequency response of 22Hz can faithfully produce up to may be 30HZ...That’s when I raise my question again. Do we still need a sub in those case for music playback??

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can’t we compensate the dip with bass boost and/or equalization combined with something like miniDSP/Dirac combo? I’m not a musician but wondering how often music notes go down below 30Hz !! Therefore if we use some room correction system and equalization/bass boost, probably a speaker which has a claimed frequency response of 22Hz can faithfully produce up to may be 30HZ...That’s when I raise my question again. Do we still need a sub in those case for music playback??
YES, I was like you years ago thinking if my speakers will play full range a sub is not needed. Now I am on the totally opposite end of that spectrum. No matter how low your speakers will go you benefit greatly from the use of a sub or multiple subs.

Taken the extreme low-end duties of your mains will let them play more cleanly. Those 71/2'' speakers masquerading as subs are never going to play as low as you may like or with any authority. Subs help with transient response, kick and help bring out a larger sound stage. Once you try it, you wont be without it.

CumSum

There can be a lot of deep bass content in a lot of pop/electronic music. I have heard differences between my system playing flat to 23Hz versus playing flat to 15Hz. One thing we need to remember is that our hearing rolls off significantly when approaching 20Hz which is why you have to play the ultra low frequency content at much higher levels to even hear that content exists down there. And you won't necessarily hear a fundamental note in any music being played at 20Hz, but you will hear added warmth and fullness to the sound overall if your system can play that low.

You can still have an enjoyable experience with a system reaching down to 30Hz. But again the room will most likely wreck havoc on the frequency response below 200Hz. That's why you've got to measure your own system. Room correction CANNOT fight against nulls (dips). The best and really only way to fight these dips is by adding bass sources (subs) into the room in different locations. Room treatments are not effective below 100Hz so you'll need subs to get a flat response.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Probably not. Deep nulls from room modes are caused by the signal reflecting off room walls (floor, ceiling) and recombining (adding) out of phase. In effect the direct wave from the speakers and reflected waves from the walls subtract. These nulls can be deep, 20 dB or more, far too much for EQ and even if you did try to boost that much (remember 10 dB is 10x the power, 20 dB is 100x the power) the bass would be overwhelming a few inches or foot away out of the null. It is sort of like trying to boost 1 - 1 = 0 to cancel the -1 part; 10 - 10 is still = 0.

It is not necessarily music notes that go below 30 Hz (or whatever), it is other parts like drum strikes, plucked strings, etc. that have very low-frequency content, along with the mixing that happens with massed instruments and strings creating low-frequency beat patterns.

If you don't think you need a sub for music, don't get one. But be aware a number of us thought the same and found we were wrong. Or maybe just me...

Top Bottom