• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo Bass using subwoofers

807Recordings

In most recordings, the utility is intentionally destroyed.

Now, if you have a good, well-designed acoustic recording that hasn't been treated with the "mono bass" routine, etc, you may get quite a bit from it, especially if you have 2 front, 2 back, properly (that word!) recorded.

Below 40Hz it's not as much of an issue, but between 40 and 90Hz, yes, there is "stereo content" possible in a good venue with a good recording.
Interesting this topic as a producer (yes electronic) I have found with synthesizers and bass if I mono the signal at say 80Hz something did get lost. Often I would do this because the end format was vinyl. What I have done though is started to go lower X-Over to say 50Hz with a different slope that tend to narrow to mono at 40Hz. That said many records I have had cut with the bass not altered and the Mastering Engineer handled the rest and surprisingly the black art of cutting vinyl is not just as black and white as make bass mono, as they can run curves to which degree.
Digital of course is much simpler.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Interesting this topic as a producer (yes electronic) I have found with synthesizers and bass if I mono the signal at say 80Hz something did get lost. Often I would do this because the end format was vinyl. What I have done though is started to go lower X-Over to say 50Hz with a different slope that tend to narrow to mono at 40Hz. That said many records I have had cut with the bass not altered and the Mastering Engineer handled the rest and surprisingly the black art of cutting vinyl is not just as black and white as make bass mono, as they can run curves to which degree.
Digital of course is much simpler.

I'm going to send you a message, stay tuned.

Top Bottom