• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo Amp Help (Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2 vs Audiophonics HPA-S400ET)

kmidst

I'm putting this in the newbie forum in case it's not appropriate for the main amps subforum. If it is though, can a mod please move it?

Right now my fronts Revel F206 are being powered by the AVR Anthem MRX740 8K which has 140 W/ch. I'm wondering if I should get a separate stereo amp for the fronts in order to give them the power that their specs say they can handle (note, there is a whole 7.1 setup of speakers here). I have my eyes on two amps right now:

Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2 (class AB, 225 W/ch at 8 ohms, MSRP $2300)
Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (class D, 227 W/ch at 8 ohms, MSRP $1444)

The Audiophonics is obviously way cheaper but has reviewed very well (by Amir also). The Anthem amp is a match for my AVR and has good reviews as far as I know.

Do I even need this extra power amp? I'm in a medium sized room (maybe 25'x15') sitting about 8 feet away and typically listen between -30db and -40db volume levels.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I'm putting this in the newbie forum in case it's not appropriate for the main amps subforum. If it is though, can a mod please move it?

Right now my fronts Revel F206 are being powered by the AVR Anthem MRX740 8K which has 140 W/ch. I'm wondering if I should get a separate stereo amp for the fronts in order to give them the power that their specs say they can handle (note, there is a whole 7.1 setup of speakers here). I have my eyes on two amps right now:

Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2 (class AB, 225 W/ch at 8 ohms, MSRP $2300)
Audiophonics HPA-S400ET (class D, 227 W/ch at 8 ohms, MSRP $1444)

The Audiophonics is obviously way cheaper but has reviewed very well (by Amir also). The Anthem amp is a match for my AVR and has good reviews as far as I know.

Do I even need this extra power amp? I'm in a medium sized room (maybe 25'x15') sitting about 8 feet away and typically listen between -30db and -40db volume levels.
Yes

Top Bottom