• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereo 2.1 with bi-amp for Vandersteens

ruze

I have a pair of Vandersteen 3As run in bi-amp mode, and just got a V2W sub (with the line-level input to avoid messing around with speaker wires etc).

In stereo mode I had the 3As running as follows:

PC (lossless/hires sources) to Topping D10 DAC to Chase RLC-1 (as preamp) to Aragon 8008x5 amp.

The RLC-1 has dual stereo outputs so running RCA to XLR cables and bi-amping on 4 of the 5 amp channels worked really great. Also being passive I believe, the sound is crystal clear without having to spend $$$ on a higher end dedicated preamp unit.

But now I have the V2W and am struggling to figure out how to integrate it. I don't believe it's possible to split a full level output as it doesn't have an onboard crossover and Richard Vandersteen specifically states there should be a crossover ideally at 100Hz which also does a highpass at the same frequency to the 3As.

I've been trying a few things:

1. Full frequency out from one of the stereo ouput from the RLC-1, while splitting the other output to the amp. This resulted in muddy sound and also panic when I realized there should be a crossover to the V2W.
2. Lexicon MC-8 which I dragged out of storage. Doesn't have dual stereo outputs although it does have an adjustable crossover for the sub output. This is working so so. There's still muddiness to the sound which I hadn't experienced before.
3. I tried MC-8 stereo out to the RLC-1 and then split outputs from there with a fixed gain, and the sub output from the MC-8 to the sub. This works better. I'm getting the effect of the sub but still some undefined reason for detectable muddiness in the sound.

Considering a few other options to get back to crystal clarity + sub output:

- Buy a more expensive pre-amp with configurable outputs and bass management. Trying to avoid for financial reasons though especially since I'm so close with the other components.
- Get a pure crossover box from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ROLLS-SX95-A-B-Box/dp/B07KJRYHFH/ref=pd_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_0 - anybody try this?
- Insert a miniDSP DDRC-24 into the signal path (just before the amp) and just go digital all the way, splitting one output and running the other one to the sub. This would let me keep the RLC-1 for pure volume control.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice!

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
- Buy a more expensive pre-amp with configurable outputs and bass management. Trying to avoid for financial reasons though especially since I'm so close with the other components.
- Get a pure crossover box from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/ROLLS-SX95-A-B-Box/dp/B07KJRYHFH/ref=pd_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_0 - anybody try this?
- Insert a miniDSP DDRC-24 into the signal path (just before the amp) and just go digital all the way, splitting one output and running the other one to the sub. This would let me keep the RLC-1 for pure volume control.

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice
With the sub you have chosen, best bet is to go the minidsp route.

Top Bottom