• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

stepup tansformer

tinger

Hey folks,
can anyone recommend a good 3000w or more step up/down transformer?
Read some reviews on Amazon re things blowing up, etc.

Please & thanks,
Ting

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of transformer? Are you referring to power transformer for changing 120 v to 240 volts?

Is this for a fixed location use at home?

And if this is 110 to 220 or 120 to 240 conversion which kinds of plugs do you need (or more specifically which country are you in)?

OP
T

tinger

I just purchased a super modified Littledot VI+ coming in and its in european 220 or 230.
Another tube amp coming in from Massdrop is 230
I was recommended to get a +3000w. Step up/down to our current (Florida).

I looked at this: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-voltage...773203&sr=8-1&keywords=pyle+3000w+transformer... read a few bad reviews. Dont want to burn down my apartment building or blow up my 'new' amp with expensive tubes.

many thanks for help in advance

ting

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like his gear will be for the Chinese 220 volt single phase. So 240 volt in the USA is different.

The LittleDot isn't going to use much power.

Many of these stepup transformers claim 5000 watts or 3000 watts, but stepping up 120 v USA you'll be limited to 1800 watt input. So they aren't being honest or safe. Possibly they work at the higher ratings as a step down, but are limited in the other direction as a step up.

https://www.amazon.com/SEYAS-Transf...p+up+transformer+220v+to+110v#customerReviews

This unit is rating for 1000 watts and has better reviews. Certainly more than enough for your LittleDot. As for your power amp I would think this would suffice until somewhere around 150 wpc on the amp output assuming two channels.

Someone may have suggested 3000 watts taking into account what you actually get which might be only 1000 watts from the one you linked. You'll notice most complaints were with people using devices above 1500 watts which in one direction (step up) the unit could never safely provide with an 18 gauge power cord. So even the unit you linked to might be okay if you don't use it for anything close to its rated output.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I thought power transformers were specified by volt-amperes, not watts.

OP
T

tinger

I got it sorted out. The modder assumed I might be running 2 or 3 amps at the same time.. I just need to becareful not to turn everything on at the same time.
I ordered the 1000w Seyas which Blumlien kindly researched for me.
many thanks,
ting

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay good. That should be plenty for your needs. I just replied to your conversation before I saw this.

Rays correct about volt-amperes being the proper specification, but most people feel comfortable with watts and watts is what these companies are using on their transformers.

Top Bottom