• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stepping up the game from Jamo A400 Subwoofer

jhuylebroeck

I currently have a Jamo A400 Subwoofer (A 400 SUB) that came with a kit of speakers (https://www.whathifi.com/jamo/a407-hcs12/review). Since it started humming and the auto on/off no longer works, it's time for an upgrade. The other components (A 402 and A 407) I wish to keep them because of a custom cabinet in the living room, limited space and... Wife Acceptance Factor.

When I look on Reddit, AVS Forums, audioholics,... I find many subwoofer recommendations that are just not available in Belgium/EU. Although I would like to stay below 500 EUR, I can still put a little "stretch" on it if there is a tangible added value.

I also want keep a fairly compact footprint (max. 450 x 450 mm, preferably slightly smaller)

For now, I ended up with Monolith 10in THX Select Certified 500, which would allow me to get as low as 20 Hz (and even a bit lower) within the price point and a relatively flat frequency response.... I would then like to place it lengthwise along the wall, given its dimensions of 480 x 380 x 500mm, otherwise it won't fit between the radiator and the wall. Do you think this is an acceptable idea?

I also received an offer for an Earthquake MiniMe DSP P-12 for 500 EUR (+/- 600 USD). I've not found a lot of information about this brand/model, so wanted to check in what you think of this unit in combination with my setup? My front speakers go down to 125 Hz according to the Jamo spec sheet, so there would be a 10 Hz gap with the specified range of 18 Hz - 115 Hz for the MiniMe, which has a slightly smaller footprint.

Or do you think I should go for a Jamo (C910/C912) that integrates or something else? My current "sub" woofer is an 8" model and only goes down to 40 Hz. So anyway this subwoofer is already a "step up".

The setup is oriented mostly to movie watching.

AwesomeSauce2015

I'm not in the EU or familiar with what's available over there, but:
One thing to consider is that 2+ subs, when properly setup, will more evenly fill the room and will help even out room modes.
2+ subs will also increase max output, although 1 good sub will probably outperform 2 mediocre subs in this regard.
The monoprice subs seem quite good though, so...

OP
J

jhuylebroeck

Thanks for your feedback, both of you. Any ideas on the Earthquake MiniMe?

Vladetz

Might be slighty out of your budget, but i can recommend Canton PowerSub 8 or PowerSub 10:
Got power sub 8 yesterday, plays down to ~25-26 hz in my 18 sq. m room. Blends nicely with mission qx-2 in full range

Top Bottom