• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stephen Hawking, renowned scientist, dies at 76

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What a big loss.. One of the greatest gifts to our human kind.... Rest in peace Stephen. Thanks for advancing our understanding so much...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/14/health/stephen-hawking-dead/index.html

Stephen Hawking, the brilliant British theoretical physicist who overcame a debilitating disease to publish wildly popular books probing the mysteries of the universe, has died, according to a family spokesman. He was 76.

Considered by many to be the world's greatest living scientist, Hawking was also a cosmologist, astronomer, mathematician and author of numerous books including the landmark "A Brief History of Time," which has sold more than 10 million copies.
With fellow physicist Roger Penrose, Hawking merged Einstein's theory of relativity with quantum theory to suggest that space and time would begin with the Big Bang and end in black holes. Hawking also discovered that black holes are not completely black but emit radiation and will likely eventually evaporate and disappear.

[...]

"His passing has left an intellectual vacuum in his wake," tweeted Neil deGrasse Tyson. "But it's not empty. Think of it as a kind of vacuum energy permeating the fabric of spacetime that defies measure."

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When he was in his early 20s, doctors gave him 2 years to live. He was able to stretch his own time.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Who's going to fill the air pocket now, the great void in the universe.
Can humanity subsist, is there enough intellect power for man to align with the balance of peaceful harmonious destiny for the next billion years and people.

R.I.P. to one of the greatest minds of our times, he was the light in the obscure tunnel of planet Earth's management from our solar system, galaxy and beyond.
He wasn't just the greatest scientist, he was the greatest protector...a philosopher's stone.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
R.I.P. Still have my copy of A Brief History of Time on my bedside shelf...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I went to a screening of Interstellar at the Albert Hall, with live orchestra and organ. Advertised as having a discussion by Chris Nolan and Kip Thorne beforehand. Walking in I saw Hawking on the big screen and thought “wow they got him to do an introduction and beamed it in”, then looked down to the stage and saw he was actually there. 30 seconds later and I would have missed him. That’s probably the closest I’ve got to genius.

Btw Pi day only works with American date notation. Everyone else is thinking “14/3 is pi? Huh?”.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
What is science? It's the exploration of theories in the goal to determine facts based on analysis and concrete equations. It's a perpetual analysis for improved development in the knowledge of everything.

The dark energy is still a mystery, the pyramids of Egypt are still revealing things that we knew nothing, we have no clue on what's the other side of a black hole...no one ever came back to tell us.

Audio and astronomy; what do they have in common?
Is light a better medium to calculate distances than audio wavelengths?

Mass plus energy plus light plus sound, even in its most silent way, ...

But in space there's no sound. What is a coincidence?
In a black hole there's no light, there's no sound, there's nothing.

¤ http://www.oom2.com/t53810-is-stephen-hawkings-death-a-coincidence

Top Bottom