• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Step up from HE4xx planar, but closed...

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
I am really digging the planar sound from my new HE4xx. I want another planar magnetic headphone for my office, needs to be closed type. Which closed planar would you choose?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I s there a particular reason you want planar magnetic? Pistonic dynamic drivers can be just as good and will give you an awful lot more choice.

OP
AnalogDE

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Ok, I guess I really like the sound of the HE4xx's and want something similar, but closed...

I already have the Beyer DT770s at work... I am noticing that annoying treble peak now :)

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't yet heard a closed planar that I liked, but here are the popular ones: Monolith M1060C, Fostex T60RP (semi open), Fostex T50rp, Oppo PM-3, MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed, Audeze LCD2 Closed, Audeze EL-8 Closed.

Gabs

Hi,

I have the HE400i, PM3 and Aeon closed.
Actually, what do you want in terms of fequency response, soundstage, etc ?

The Aeon closed and PM3 are more neutral. The PM3 has more bass and is more forward. The Aeon is generaly better than the Hifiman but lacks bass IMO.
Maybe you would want to have the Aeon 2, wich may sound open despite being closed.
Blue makes the Ella.

But everything depends of you tastes.
Please help us understand.

Gabs

One of the most respected is the Modhouse Argon Mk3. But I'm not sure if it's a step up or not from the Hifiman...
EDIT : and if you want something portable, there is the Audeze Sine.

Last edited:
OP
AnalogDE

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Hi,

The Aeon closed and PM3 are more neutral. The PM3 has more bass and is more forward. The Aeon is generaly better than the Hifiman but lacks bass IMO.
Maybe you would want to have the Aeon 2, wich may sound open despite being closed.
Blue makes the Ella.

Where can I find Aeon 2? I don’t see it on MrSpeakers website.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I guess I really like the sound of the HE4xx's and want something similar, but closed...

I already have the Beyer DT770s at work... I am noticing that annoying treble peak now :)

What are you using as a player? Does it have EQ? With something like USB Audio Player Pro + MorphIT plugin you could easily EQ the DT770 to the Harmon OE/AE target or make them sound similar to your HE-4XX.

OP
AnalogDE

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
What are you using as a player? Does it have EQ? With something like USB Audio Player Pro + MorphIT plugin you could easily EQ the DT770 to the Harmon OE/AE target or make them sound similar to your HE-4XX.
I’m using Tidal and it doesn’t have EQ...

OP
AnalogDE

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
Hi,

Blue makes the Ella.

Basically I’d like it to be comparable to the HE4xx. Same amount of bass or slightly more. Mids and highs comparable to HE4xx.

Gabs

Basically I’d like it to be comparable to the HE4xx. Same amount of bass or slightly more. Mids and highs comparable to HE4xx.
So i'd say, let's dig into these (in comparison to the Hifiman) :
Oppo PM3 >> smoother but good highs, no soundstage
Audeze Sine >> I found it boring, but it's personal taste
Aeon 2 closed ? >> the version 1 lacks bass IMO
Blue Ella >> Aeon 2 copied on this one for the headband mechanism ! >> I did not find measurements but it's intended for studio so...
Master and dynamics MH40 >> I prefer the PM3
Monoprice M1060 closed ? >> opinions needed
Audeze LCD 2 classic closed ? >> opinions needed (personnaly I listened to 4 Audezes and did not like them....)

Here is another question : why do you need a closed back ?
I have some closed and open backs.
For outdoors there are 2 real choices for my personal taste : iem because it's really portable (maybe the Tin T4 would fit your sound taste !) or open back because it's safe and the open sound very pleasing to me outside.

If you want to block the outside, then better grab a Bose, Sony, or PSB.

Fluffy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I listened to the first Aeon and it didn't sound to me like something to write home about. The new ones still look sexy AF like the old one, and they claim a new voicing. Can't wait to see someone measuring those and compare them to the old Aeon.

@solderdude ? :D

OP
AnalogDE

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
So i'd say, let's dig into these (in comparison to the Hifiman) :
Oppo PM3 >> smoother but good highs, no soundstage
Audeze Sine >> I found it boring, but it's personal taste
Aeon 2 closed ? >> the version 1 lacks bass IMO
Blue Ella >> Aeon 2 copied on this one for the headband mechanism ! >> I did not find measurements but it's intended for studio so...
Master and dynamics MH40 >> I prefer the PM3
Monoprice M1060 closed ? >> opinions needed
Audeze LCD 2 classic closed ? >> opinions needed (personnaly I listened to 4 Audezes and did not like them....)

Here is another question : why do you need a closed back ?
I have some closed and open backs.
For outdoors there are 2 real choices for my personal taste : iem because it's really portable (maybe the Tin T4 would fit your sound taste !) or open back because it's safe and the open sound very pleasing to me outside.

If you want to block the outside, then better grab a Bose, Sony, or PSB.

I need closed back because I work in a cubicle office setup, can't have sound leaking out and also need to keep sounds from coming in.
I don't need ANC headphones (already got the Sony's)... closed back is good enough.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need closed back because I work in a cubicle office setup, can't have sound leaking out and also need to keep sounds from coming in.
I don't need ANC headphones (already got the Sony's)... closed back is good enough.

Are you intending to drive these headphones off the PC or something else? (Apple dongle, USB DAC/Amp, etc.)

Top Bottom