• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steinway Lyngdorf MODEL D

bkatbamna

Whose orchestration? ;)
That RCA SACD is the Ravel Orchestration. That's the general problem with the thinking that instead of spending x amount of money, I'll buy season tickets to the symphony orchestra. Problem with that is that on some of the dates you get tickets for, they play contemporary "music" that can curdle milk.

olegtern

And for the price of a Ferrari, you can buy a lifetime ticket for all types of public transport. Problem is that there is no money for a Ferrari and you do not use public transport.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
And for the price of a Ferrari, you can buy a lifetime ticket for all types of public transport. Problem is that there is no money for a Ferrari and you do not use public transport.
That's why you buy a Toyota Corolla
It's the perfect compromise

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And go to your local bar for a live show? :)
I wish... I lived in British Columbia for a long time and it had the best peeler shows and strip pubs. No entry fee, just go and have burgers and fries with lotsa brewskies. Now it sucks because I am in a province that has dumb entrance fees and coat checks and the shows suck too.

nsfgp

Nice Piano talk ... I enjoy the recordings she made with her Shigeru Kawai SK-6 ... really it is the best home piano recording setup I have heard on YT so far. She has good recording gear but the mixing/mastering work probably equally important.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, not quite. The parallel example related to cars would be:
Instead of buying a giant $300,000 OLED TV to watch a recording of the Indy 500 race, you could buy a decent race-spec sports car and hire a professional driver to take you on some hot laps around the track.

Ifrit

Nice Piano talk ... I enjoy the recordings she made with her Shigeru Kawai SK-6 ... really it is the best home piano recording setup I have heard on YT so far. She has good recording gear but the mixing/mastering work probably equally important.
Personally, I'd rather listen to ugly smartphone recordings of Kissin's horribly detuned house Steinway. And that SK could use some work. But not bad.
AA OC818s are good mics, sound is ok, if a little too close and "closed" to my taste. Weird that it sounds way different song to song.
I bet it will sound good on that Lyngdorf! :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All I know is I want their remote volume knob for my stereo system:

Remote Control on a transparent background

I actually inquired if I could buy one to program for my system, but of course it only comes with the full system. I guess I'll just put the money towards my yacht instead.

nsfgp

Personally, I'd rather listen to ugly smartphone recordings of Kissin's horribly detuned house Steinway. And that SK could use some work. But not bad.
AA OC818s are good mics, sound is ok, if a little too close and "closed" to my taste. Weird that it sounds way different song to song.
I bet it will sound good on that Lyngdorf! :)
That video is a compilation of many different videos combined. She upgrade to the SK6 many months ago too. I have no idea what it is but I will check out that "Kissin's horribly detuned house Steinway". I am not a piano player and not really into classical material. So I dig her material first and the recording outcome keeps me going back to listen more. Cheers.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Musical instrument snobbery is one of the weirdest things to me. I find it very hard to believe even budget gear is gonna hold back talented players or good compositions.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
All I know is I want their remote volume knob for my stereo system:

Remote Control on a transparent background

I actually inquired if I could buy one to program for my system, but of course it only comes with the full system. I guess I'll just put the money towards my yacht instead.
Maybe you could find one used

Ifrit

Musical instrument snobbery is one of the weirdest things to me. I find it very hard to believe even budget gear is gonna hold back talented players or good compositions.
It's not about snobbery or performers/composers (most of the times), but sonic variety and sonics that are required to make the performance sound the way musician wants it to. Some instruments just can't produce needed.
And yes, the most expensive violin in the world wouldn't make the owner great violinist. But in proper hands it sings like no other.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I knew a classical flautist. She had a CDN ~$14K flute. She studied at the Berklee School of Music in Boston and did things with that flute that very few humans could do. She explained that flutes as they go can be much more expensive. She bought this level of flute because her playing level is so high and she can feel the action of the flute, the fit and finish and the pitch as she is playing it. The proof was in the pudding per say as she invited me to a recital and I was flabbergasted at her playing level. I had never heard Prokofiev before and the playing of the pianist and her was astounding and tear inducing. She said after learning her flute's characteristics and action that she could still use a inexpensive flute but she needed the expensive flute's action to really bring out the subtle details and pitch. I think that your comment regarding, "I find it very hard to believe even budget gear is gonna hold back talented players" to be truthful and factual. I compare it to me skiing. I started when I was ~3.5 years old on hand made antique old wooden skis with leather bindings found in the basement of a 3 story mid 1800's character home that my parents bought, by four I was on the rope tow and by seven I was skiing double black diamonds by myself. I was a latchkey kid left at the mountain in the morning and picked up at the day's end or I hitch hiked home as was common in those days for kids to do at the ski resort. I consider skis to be planks. They are nice and all, can be expensive but without the operator they are meaningless and nothing. I can be on old school 210cm skis or the newest 170-180cm shaped skis and I will be blowing peeps away that have the newest and most technological gear they could muster. It's not the gear that makes it happen it is the musician or the athlete.

DonR

Major Contributor
It's not about snobbery or performers/composers (most of the times), but sonic variety and sonics that are required to make the performance sound the way musician wants it to. Some instruments just can't produce needed.
And yes, the most expensive violin in the world wouldn't make the owner great violinist. But in proper hands it sings like no other.
Incorrect.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think it is like a race car. Buying a fast car won’t make you a fast driver. A fast driver can perform miracles with a minivan. Pair a fast driver and a fast car?

Most of the professionals (the ones you buy music) are exclusive to a single brand. However, at the top tier of amateur competitions, the pianists have a choice of piano to use.

Sound is probably less critical than mechanism/feel. The professional concert pianists have traveling piano tuners who can tune the piano to their specific feel.

Broad strokes, and ABX’able

Steinway tends to have the most harmonics. It’s like a tube amp. New York and Hamburg factories have different sounds due to different supply chains. Many of the famous pianists of the 20th century used Steinway’s so it often sounds “right” or “familiar.”

Kawai is like the Harman of pianos. Driven by science. One of the first companies to switch to ABS keys instead of wood/ivory for consistency and one of the first to adopt robotics in manufacturing. Shigeru Kawai is like JBL Synthesis or Revel. The premium brand.

Yamaha has the lightest action, but is super fast. This doesn’t matter for classical music which is written in the era of slower mechanisms but can translate into a different instrument for modern jazz.

There are overtones. If you press an upper note lightly so that the dampers are lifted but the strings were not struck and then strike the bass notes heavily, the vibrations will transmit to the upper notes and vibrate the strings that are not actively played though actively un-dampened. This is like a mechanical intermodulation distortion.

Upright pianos do not have an escapement mechanism so your ability to repeat a note quickly is impaired since you have to fully reset the mechanism and lift off further before striking down again…

Earl Wild used to play on Baldwin pianos and then switched to Shigeru Kawai (in his late 80’s!). You can compare the sound between the Shigeru Kawai and a common Steinway.

Telarc’s A Window in Time took Rachmaninoff’s player recordings and reproduced them on Bosendorfer piano. Great comparison.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Incorrect.
That blind test doesn't written whether the Stradivari was well maintained. Physically it can look ok, but you don't sent for maintenance. It will sound and play worst than $250 violin. It is just 20 audio engineering student to do ABX test in AES and nobody tell them what to listen for.

Ifrit

Incorrect.
But it measures differently! The sound is different even if people can't distinguish it. People are rarely can hear difference at all. :)
The instruments do sound different, they play different. I never said modern instrument cannot compare in quality with Strad, but it isn't the same sound they produce. And, the most expensive doesn't mean the best sounding. And I'd rather trust blind test conducted by string players, not random students. That's how musicians choose their instruments. Not seeing what is being played.

Telarc’s A Window in Time took Rachmaninoff’s player recordings and reproduced them on Bosendorfer piano. Great comparison.
Have you heard the Klavier recordings of that? Or was it released on Telarc, I forget.

DonR

Major Contributor
But it measures differently! The sound is different even if people can't distinguish it. People are rarely can hear difference at all. :)
The instruments do sound different, they play different. I never said modern instrument cannot compare in quality with Strad, but it isn't the same sound they produce. And, the most expensive doesn't mean the best sounding. And I'd rather trust blind test conducted by string players, not random students. That's how musicians choose their instruments. Not seeing what is being played.
That blind test doesn't written whether the Stradivari was well maintained. Physically it can look ok, but you don't sent for maintenance. It will sound and play worst than $250 violin. It is just 20 audio engineering student to do ABX test in AES and nobody tell them what to listen for.
Care and maintenance is a reasonable objection but unlikely given the venue. The panel was 10 professional (i.e. do it for a living) soloists. I know it's hard to accept certain myths that you have held dearly all your life dashed before you, it has happened to me several times, but science doesn't care about our feelings.

During 1 week in 2012, they invited 10 professional soloists to Vincennes, a suburb of Paris, and assembled 13 new violins and nine old Italians, including six Stradivariuses and two made by Guarneri del Gesús.

Top Bottom