• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steinway Lyngdorf MODEL D

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know little about Bosendorfers, but Yamahas and Kawais seem to be the choice of many serious performers as practice instruments. I was surprised to hear that a famous pianist who went to my relative's house to practice on the D before a performance confessed that he has a Kawai at home.

I wonder how many of these systems are sold in the Bay Area. A buddy regularly visits the homes of billionaires in Atherton, and, while I hear tales of $50K Toto toilets, insane kitchens, bowling alleys, and indoor pools, I never hear of audio systems like this.

I live in Scarsdale, New York, and the nicest stereo I've ever seen in someone else's house around here was a system with older Sonus Faber floorstanders--with one of the speakers in the dining room and the other one in the living room (no joke).
I wouldn't know a $50K toilet if I sat on one, but yes, there is a lot of wealth in this area. :)

Ericglo

Steinway is going out of its way to court new money in the Far East. If you go to the factory in Queens to look at pianos, your salesperson is likelier to speak Mandarin better than he or she speaks English. I'm told that the company is now relentlessly focused on the fit and finish of its pianos, which previously looked subdued in comparison with lesser instruments.

EDIT: I would guess that the Lyngdorf system is well-engineered (although I suspect that amplifier power is insufficient) despite the absurd price tag. I doubt one will become available for measurement, and even if it were, I don't think the loudspeaker would fit in a Klippel machine!

Isn't Steinway the piano maker different from Lyngdorf?

Ifrit

Isn't Steinway the piano maker different from Lyngdorf?
Steinway Lyngdorf brings together Steinway & Sons, makers of the world’s finest pianos for more than 165 years, and Peter Lyngdorf, one of the most forward-thinking audio innovators of our time.

We make everything possible, from the finest music room to your own private home cinema. Choose in-wall, in-ceiling, on-wall, on-ceiling, or freestanding loudspeakers, matched with our stereo amplifiers or the latest audio video processors – no matter the configuration, Steinway Lyngdorf combines our advanced core technologies, including RoomPerfect™ room correction, to ensure your listening experience is second-to-none.

The partnership is based on an ambitious promise – that the Steinway & Sons audio systems reproduce the sound of a Steinway & Sons grand piano to the degree that even seasoned concert pianists can not discern the difference.

Ericglo

That doesn't really clarify the relationship. IIRC at Cedia a couple of years ago, they said it was Lyngdorf using the Steinway name.

Ifrit

To me it is simply paid use of the name. Strictly business, judging from how “well” they doing, not very successful one.

DonR

Major Contributor
TBH, I think the gold makes it look a little gaudy. The piano black I can understand (or is it satin, hard to tell) but that is a dust and fingerprint magnet. Housekeeping should be paid extra to keep those monoliths clean.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
you'll find that heaps of people here there and everywhere worship at the porcelain throne of... McIntosh or Krell or Audio Research or... the list goes on

perhaps the truest to form is Yamaha pianos and Yamaha Aventage receivers... (no?)

or Yamaha motorcycles and Yamaha AS series integrateds (same screechiness... I kid)

i think most people here would acknowledge a $10k JBL SRX or $10k Genelec system would absolultely dog these 'toys for billionaires' but they're not 7ft tall w/ more drivers than sense.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i think most people here would acknowledge a $10k JBL SRX or $10k Genelec system would absolultely dog these 'toys for billionaires' but they're not 7ft tall w/ more drivers than sense.
I thought that until I spent time with them. (Not sure I'd compare them to a JBL PA speaker... but I take your point.) As it turns out they are not entirely licensing and bling... there is that and it certainly is part of the equation, however they are genuinely great speakers with serious engineering and design behind them, but I understand the initial reaction to recoil.

I think they’re hideous.
I agree that the gold plating and piano finish is over the top just like Krell, MBL and many others. That is not my style either, but that is why they also offer black on black in both satin and gloss... more tasteful and at a lower cost. ;)

Steinway has licensed its name and logo to Lyngdorf.
The high end piano finished versions are actually finished at the Steinway factory in Hamburg Germany. BTW: It doesn't make them sound any more musical, but for the high end buyer I guess it gives them certain bragging rights.

I am not suggesting that anyone should buy these even if you are fortunate enough to have the means, but if given a chance I recommend everyone interested in musical reproduction in the home giving them a listen. They will surprise you.

Last edited:

Ericglo

Being uber-expensive is actually a selling point to someone who is rich because they don't want some peasant down the street to have the same thing.

Maybe, but how many rich people really care that much about audio to research and spend lots of money on audio equipment?

The fact is some people like nice looking products that have an excellent fit and finish. I have seen SL products and they look nice. Are they worth the money? That is a personal decision. I wouldn't pay it, but I wouldn't pay the price for Genelec!

These go for 1/20th the price and sound fabulous. They Won’t give you exclusive membership at the golf club and you need Minidsp and a few watts to power them up but your ears and eyes will have a blast.

They are also working on active models with dsp.

bkatbamna

For $266,000, I could buy a Yamaha and pay a professional concert pianist to play it for me.
Could you get him to play the orchestral version of Picture at an Exhibition conducted by Fritz Reiner?

Top Bottom