• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Steep treble rolloff on both Energy V-S rears

ratnermi

I have old Energy V-S surround speakers (beautiful-looking and fairly expensive) mounted high on the back wall. They never produced much sound but I guess I wasn't paying attention... recently I got a UMIK-1 and REW and measured their room response. Do you have any idea what could be causing such a steep rolloff in the treble? They actually have a knob for gain on each speaker, and this graph is with the knob turned all the way to the right. The mid position on the knob produced a graph with a much steeper rolloff.
It's not tweeter dispersion, because I measured them at different room locations with the same result. It's not one speaker's blown tweeter, because, as you can see, both exhibit the same behaviour.
Any clues as to what's going on, and how to fix it? TIA.

Here is the speaker description page: https://www.energy-speakers.com/products/surround-speakers/?sku=V-S

Rears.jpg

Last edited:

Twelvetone

Was this curve taken in dipole or dipole mode? Does it shut off (or pad) the tweeter in dipole mode?

OP
R

ratnermi

I tried it both ways, in dipole and bipole modes. The curves are very slightly different between the two, but nothing major. Certainly the rolloff slope didn't change.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's almost like the tweeters are bad, or turned way down.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which mode dId you set in REW? You may need to use RTA.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you use pink noise as test signal, then you need to set the RTA Mode to RTA instead of Spectrum.
If you use the regular measurement sweep, then this does not apply obviously.

OP
R

ratnermi

Frankly I don't know, what is RTA? I just used the defaults as per various instruction videos, etc. Only the rears exhibit this behavior among the 7 speakers.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Right, so?
Your measurement look normal up to 2.5k.
The Xover being at 3k makes the tweeter just playing too quiet a plausible cause, rather than some other fault.

I see the surrounds are bi-ampable. Have you confirmed that there are metal strips in place, bridging the two sets of binding posts?
If they're gone and only the woofer is connected, then that could explain the measurements.

Edit: Ah it's probably just the mains that are bi-ampable. The Manual combines the entire surround setup, so I got confused which graphic represents which speaker type.
Screenshot_20230316-211359_Drive.png

OP
R

ratnermi

Your measurement look normal up to 2.5k.
The Xover being at 3k makes the tweeter just playing too quiet a plausible cause, rather than some other fault.

I see the surrounds are bi-ampable. Have you confirmed that there are metal strips in place, bridging the two sets of binding posts?
If they're gone and only the woofer is connected, then that could explain the measurements.

That would have been an awesome simple solution! But where do you see that they are bi-ampable? Here is the picture of the back:
V-S_3.jpg

and from the cut sheet:
"Inputs Single 5-way nickel-plated binding post"

OP
R

ratnermi

Reporting back: nothing worked. I swapped their line inputs with the sides, no change. I physically removed the speaker from the rear wall and moved it to the front, connected the FR speaker wires to it, no change. Listened to the 10Khz tone, nothing is coming out of the tweeter. Switched + and - wires just in case inputs were mislabeled- no luck.
They are quite sophisticated speakers: 3-way, switchable between bipole and dipole, dual midranges. Thinking to send them in for repair.

Top Bottom