• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stax vs. HD800?

By any chance from dk?
1. 007 will complement HD800 better than 009, but electrostatic is very different from dynamic, so both could be good.
2. I would avoid Stax big time in a tropical climate, they are to fragile.
3. Hate 009 headband, love ear cups,
love 007 headband, love ear cups if newer.
Bad idea unless you can keep them in a dehumidified room or something.

Thanks for your replies. I think I will go for the 007, also because the earcups and headband seem to be nice. I hope with some careful eq-ing I won't miss out on too much of what the 009 premium price can offer. I think I can keep the headphone safe with some precautions ... (not from DK, btw).

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bad idea unless you can keep them in a dehumidified room or something.
Is humidity really that bad to estats? I have koss ESP/95X, sometimes my room goes to around 70 to 80% with raining day, but I don't listen to them at that time. I kept them in a box when not in use. Will my way of treating them be good enough for the estats?

Darklizard

The problem with Stax is they really need a third party amp to drive them properly or they can sound bass light or too sharp hf. It’s a real rabbit hole so I’d stick with Sennheiser where you can have an amp of your choosing

chi2

Forum Donor
Thanks for your replies. I think I will go for the 007, also because the earcups and headband seem to be nice.

One heads-up regarding the 007's headband. It may not fit the shape of your head right away. It is crucial not to hesitate to bend it in such a way that the cups sit evenly and tightly on the sides of your head. To do that, you need to bend the two arcs separately and probably in a different way, that is, resulting in a different angle. The bass quality depends heavily from perfecting the fit. And don't hesitate either to rotate the pads, also with the aim of a perfect fit.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is humidity really that bad to estats? I have koss ESP/95X, sometimes my room goes to around 70 to 80% with raining day, but I don't listen to them at that time. I kept them in a box when not in use. Will my way of treating them be good enough for the estats?

Keeping them de-energized during periods of high humidity should be ok. A tropical climate as @Hoegaardener70 asked about would seem likely to give little chance to use them without active climate control though

Several years ago I had a driver in one my Lambdas suddenly cut out and die while listening to them on a rainy day. I've head other various horror stories since then as well.

I'm not 100% sure on the cause and effect of all this, but it seems logical. In the absence of people sacrificing their expensive headphones to more controlled experimentation I'm inclined to recommend caution to anyone who asks.

Last edited:
Keeping them de-energized during periods of high humidity should be ok. A tropical climate as @Hoegaardener70 asked about would seem likely to give little chance to use them without active climate control though

Several years ago I had a driver in one my Lambdas suddenly cut out and die while listening to them on a rainy day. I've head other various horror stories since then as well.

Oh dear. It would be really valuable to know more about this. I once asked a Stax representative if using Stax in Indonesia (quite often 100% humidity) would be alright. Well, as a salesman he obviously said yes, but I should keep them under a dustcover. Since then, I heard more stories like yours. Damn, I really wanted the SR-007 and have already ordered them. Might have to sell soon before moving. I think the key question is, does humidity destroy the driver even while non usage, or only when energized. Latter can be controlled when using strictly indoors which is the most likely scenario.

Moonhead

Return them and travel with HD800.

D

Deleted member 4708

While I think the HD-650 is one of the best ever, I never liked the HD-800.
Stax SR-009 are at the top of my preferences. Clean, easy to EQ without distortion, etc.

OP
Dealux

Dealux

I actually bought the 600 Ohm DT-990 and they're superior to the HD800 in many ways but require more EQ.

chris719

Slightly OT, but does anyone think it's worth going from HD800 to HD800S? I have an early production HD800.

OP
Dealux

Dealux

No bad choice, I like my 990 Pro with eq. A lot of money left to buy music, drinks and great food ;)
Yeah, the clarity is kind of insane (esp. after EQ) for this price. I am getting the 1990 next because those are less peaky in the treble but have a similar emphasis on clarity in the upper range.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Slightly OT, but does anyone think it's worth going from HD800 to HD800S? I have an early production HD800.

Not unless you really want it in black. The differences are pretty minor to most people. With EQ and/or mods there ends up being basically no difference.

Overall, this thread confuses me. People put the HD800 (used less than 1k) or HD800S new price 1.7k (mostly now 1.3k) headphone against a Stax costing 2.3k plus a costly amp. And the majority seems to prefer the HD800(S) - and besides the price difference, the Stax is much more sensitive to environmental factors.

There just seems to be no point to get the sr-007 after reading this thread. I have one on the way, but frankly, it seems to have been the wrong decision. And yes, I do have a HD800S and like it, but I was expecting more resolution, a new way to listen to music from the Stax. Well, I'll see but I am ready for a major disappointment.

PS: I was considering the sr-009 or sr-009s but I found lots of posts in other places basically saying that the sr-007 is more fun, and therefore the better headphone. Crinnacle's measurements were also reassuring, so I decided for the sr-007.

OP
Dealux

Dealux

SR-007 has multiple versions though, some of which are kinda wonky (hole in the mids). I can't speak about Stax sound but I'm guessing they sound a bit softer in the highs due to the tuning (but are still bright above 10K generally).

The HD800 is a mixed bag. Clarity is good but the mids are hollow and bass is kinda meh (in terms of extension). Highs are bright and slightly hazy sounding and sharp of course but EQ works somewhat.

Alan James

I have Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO. How much better are Stax, Audeze? They cost many times more. Never listened to any of their models. Does it make sense to buy them even if you have money? Will it be much better?

D

Deleted member 4708

I have Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO. How much better are Stax, Audeze? They cost many times more. Never listened to any of their models. Does it make sense to buy them even if you have money? Will it be much better?
In respect to "Does it make sense to buy them..." - that's too subjective to be answered.
Stax and Audeze can easilly be EQd as they can play really loud without (much) distortion.
However - neither are "real life" headphones: Stax need a big amp and Audeze is very heavy and has to clamp your head pretty hard.
Are they much better than DT 1990? In the bass yes.
I think Stax SR-009 are the best but not sure one can justify the price (which has to include an electrostatic amp).

OP
Dealux

Dealux

I think the DT 1990 are the dynamic headphones I've been looking for. I understand the signature they're going for but it needs a bit of EQ still.

Yes, technically there are headphones that have more "detail" or rather some superior refinements in sound in some areas but they usually come with a lot of drawbacks too like even wonkier FR that can't be fixed with EQ (like strong dips that ruin imaging).

Top Bottom