• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stax Tube Amplifier Distortion vs Solid State

Svperstar

Or better still, buy a Woo Audio Wee and be transported to Audio Nirvana. I feed mine with a humble, but very good NAD 2100 Monitor and the combination is unbeatable for Resolution, Dynamics and Speed. Not to mention Powerful, Taught and extended Bass! In my experience, far better than the admittedly short range of Direct Stax Drivers that I have tried so far. A recently loaned SRM-T1S proved to be particularly awful, to be brutally frank…

My Stax are still in the mail but I am looking into this now. I know zero about speaker amps, trying to find one with 3 pin XLR balanced input.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The amps designed by Dr. Gilmore have much better SINAD than the Stax or Woo products, and in my opinion, are much better sounding on SR-007a's ( considered by many to be the best sounding electrostatic 'phone. There are not enough Sennheiser electrostats or new TOTL Stax 9000-series phones out there to have created consensus on their sonics.)

the_brunx

The amps designed by Dr. Gilmore have much better SINAD than the Stax or Woo products, and in my opinion, are much better sounding on SR-007a's ( considered by many to be the best sounding electrostatic 'phone. There are not enough Sennheiser electrostats or new TOTL Stax 9000-series phones out there to have created consensus on their sonics.)
Show the measurements please.

kevin gilmore

better sinad? not really. a few db due to fully regulated power supplies. the noise of a 60db gain amplifier is due to thermal noise. unless you happen to have an infinite supply of liquid nitrogen.

waltzingbear

Most of the Stax amps can easily be adapted to balanced input by a competent engineer

and yes the carbon is an excellent amplifier

stax user since 1973

Top Bottom