• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stax SRM-Xh Review (Electrostatic Headphone Amp)

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Yes, with XLR. It works great.

Your volume pot is logarithmic, won’t be surprised if you are outputting way less than 5 watts at 9’oclock setting

The bias voltage goes into the membrane the signal voltage goes into the plates. Higher bias voltage higher sensitivity.
I have a SRD-7 (original version, not the "Pro" model) and I sometimes use it to drive Lambda Pros since the connectors are compatible. It sounds fine to me that way, but am I sacrificing anything other than ultimate output level? Thanks for your thoughts.

brimble

Forum Donor

the_brunx

I have a SRD-7 (original version, not the "Pro" model) and I sometimes use it to drive Lambda Pros since the connectors are compatible. It sounds fine to me that way, but am I sacrificing anything other than ultimate output level? Thanks for your thoughts.
I think I once heard a louder ground noise or hum level, cant remember on a normal bias transformer I am guessing since you have to amplify more to get the same loudness compared to pro bias. So I am guessing the SNR level and SINAD can also be different compared with pro bias depending on the characteristic curves of the amp being used and maybe also other factors. but I am interested to know the definitive answer myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

billqs

Way late to this party, but the SR-007's are much harder to drive than the Lambdas (also harder to drive than the SR-009). I believe the mini amp reviewed here is only meant to power the "L" series.

Reactions: Tim
Top Bottom