• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stax l700 measured with EARS and REW

Ardacer

Cambridge audio DACMagic100 into STAX SRM-313.

NymQFDG.jpg

Frequency responses (R and L). They don't change that much on repositioning while maintaining a proper seal. Raw, not compared to any standard / goal.

Y3Vh6o6.jpg

Distortion at high listening levels. It's not properly scaled in dBa's or any sort of absolute units so it's not that useful. Also do note that my cat and dog were having tantrums in the background while my wife makes pancakes.

Leo3pGi.png

Decided to use this standard REW 6,5 cylce pulse for Attack/Decay. I might edit the photos to insert start/stop points for easier reference, but it should be quite self explanatory.

hqnDU7B.png

50Hz burst.

XRMlmPD.png

100 Hz burst.

KfxXsNs.png

500 Hz burst.

CtcFMEc.png

1500 Hz

2Lqf9AT.png

4500 Hz

zW0rPym.png

10k Hz burst.

9xpNEZC.png

30Hz square wave.

8uPYEPo.png

300Hz square wave.

5nBolcQ.png

DIN 250Hz & 8kHz 4:1 dual tone.

k1ZnSkr.jpg

Waterfall plot.

This all is to sort of benchmark my future electrostatic diy headphones.

Last edited:
OP
Ardacer

Ardacer

Yep, 20 Hz is just 10 db under 1 khz.

Cause, if I make a solid diy estat, and a solid diy planar, measure it and it works well, I can sell my stax and audeze. That's one reason. There is another, I'm prototyping something radical.

okok

l700 mk2 or mk1? mk1 is very bad, you need mk2

OP
Ardacer

Ardacer

That depends a lot on what you mean by bad.
MK1 is tonally skewed a bit. In this regard mk2 is better. That's super easy to fix though with simple eq. The rest is pretty much the same. That rest is actually what matters most to me. You can eq out the tonal imbalance, you can't really fix transient responses, cavity resonance dips, spikes are doable but also problematic etc.

Miiksuli

Yep, 20 Hz is just 10 db under 1 khz.

Cause, if I make a solid diy estat, and a solid diy planar, measure it and it works well, I can sell my stax and audeze. That's one reason. There is another, I'm prototyping something radical.
Cool. Make a thread of it

OP
Ardacer

Ardacer

I'm doing it for my self only, but I'll give the plans for free if anyone is interested by any chance.

Miiksuli

Nice :) Hope you can tune it right. I had to tune (mod) Nectar Sound Hive for my liking. I can help you if needed.

stroshek

I am also interested in making DIY electrostats, I look forward to reading your build thread.

Miiksuli

@Ardacer and @stroshek Are you going to make electrostatics with a single driver? There are also multiple diagram designs. I'll look forward to both of ur future estats :)

Miiksuli

@Miiksuli would you be willing to post any links? :) I bought some mylar but I am still in research phase.
I think this was with multiple diagram design: http://perun.prfi.ru . Rock version atleast.

stroshek

I was thinking about 1 stator sandwiched between two membranes, but couldn't find any scientific literature to read about it.

Top Bottom