• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

STAX / DAC Pairing

cheaha

I have really enjoyed SRM-353X & L700 pairing. Are there any other STAX owners out there? What DAC are you using vs. which ones have you tried? This week I have tried

• SMSL SU-8 (Balanced and Unbalanced)
  • OPPO HA-2SE (Unbalanced)
  • WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board (Unbalanced)
What are your experiences?

Last edited:

Zoide

Nice! I have a STAX SR-L700 paired with an SRM-323S and have the same question :)

So far I've only tried it with an ODAC, and I don't have anything to compare it to. I *did* have to solder a wire from the ground pin of the amp to the outer part (ground) of one of the RCA out jacks on the ODAC:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...compared-to-fiio-e10k.2068/page-2#post-111717

Otherwise, there was a ton of electrical noise coming through to the amp.

What kind of differences are you hearing between your sources?

DuxServit

Forum Donor
My favorite Stax amps are the vintage SRM-1/Mk2 (1982) and the SRM-T1S (1993). I’m matching these to the earphones of around the same period (SR Lambda-Pro and Lambda Nova-Signature).

I’m using a variety of DACs, but right now the Topping D50 — which @Amir reviewed here on ASR.

OP
cheaha

cheaha

...What kind of differences are you hearing between your sources?

I don't want to sound like all those other subjective reviewers, so I'm going to try and keep it simple.
  • SMSL SU-8 - Sound felt compressed, soundstage was smaller (balanced via XLR)
  • OPPO HA-2SE - Great imaging, and could listen for hours at any volume. I can tell you where every instrument is in the 'room'.
  • WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board - Great sound, everything was there but not separated. Sometimes vocals would resonate and make me wince (it hurt).
I really want to replace the OPPO as it is not an ideal desktop solution. But I still, find it most pleasurable to listen to. They may be doing something that is adding distortion and messing with measurements, but it seems to make the imaging better or something. It's based on the ESS9028q2m which doesn't have the 'hump' so maybe thats why I'm having trouble replacing it with ESS9038 options. I'm open to the fact that knowledge of such things can skew the results, but I can't seem to shake that the OPPO is more relaxed with better imaging and soundstage.

I really look forward to hearing what other STAX users are using as I truly am trying to move to a better solution for desktop use.

Was testing with native DSD64 bitstreaming if it matters to anyone.
UPDATE: failed at trying to keep post from sounding like industry review...sorry. It's just so hard to describe sound. Which is why I love what this forum is about....measurements.

Last edited:

Zoide

It's based on the ESS9028q2m which doesn't have the 'hump' so maybe thats why I'm having trouble replacing it with ESS9038 options.

Oh man, I hope that something comes out soon that doesn't have the ESS hump but measures just as great at the rest!

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have been interested to buy my first set of Stax for a while now. Any suggestions what to get? I currently have HD600, HD58X and Focal Elegias + JDS Atom and Khadas Tone Board. I have also had HD800 and HD700 and some AKGs.

cjfrbw

Stax SR 507 (highly modified, new mylar that I put in, used with normal bias), Yamaha Pre/Pros used as DACs, VFET amp with Dynaco Z565 transformer coupling = best headphones I have heard so far. Also, traditional SR 3a with 5 diaphragms, and an original Lambda normal bias used from time to time with transformer coupling to amps.

I am perfectly happy with the ESS dac's in the Yamaha receivers. Maybe Amir will measure them someday and disabuse me of the notion.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am perfectly happy with the ESS dac's in the Yamaha receivers. Maybe Amir will measure them someday and disabuse me of the notion.
Measure which, Stax or Yamaha? If Yamaha, is there a reasonably priced one that is representative?

cjfrbw

Measure which, Stax or Yamaha? If Yamaha, is there a reasonably priced one that is representative?
I just tossed it out as humor. There are so many Yamaha receivers now, some with Burr Brown, some with ESS, I doubt that anything would be representative any more. I have been very happy with the DAC's in the high end Yamahas from the RZ Z7 forward, from a strictly listening but non-measured point of view. Like the recent Marantz, however, it is possible that actual measurements might not be so sanguine.

The recent Yamahas have been using the ESS DACs.

OP
cheaha

cheaha

My favorite so far has been the RME ADI-2 DAC with XLR. It seems to be a good match.

Last edited:

xevman

I run my SR009 with a DX7S being fed into an SRM 323ii probably a lowly setup for headphones like these but I don't have a problem with it at all. I will eventually upgrade my amp but no plans on changing the DX7s

OP
cheaha

cheaha

Just an update, I pulled the trigger on the ADI-2 DAC and am very happy with the combo. The amount of adjustments than can be made with the ADI-2 is pretty amazing. The Stax SRM-353x likes the extra input strength supplied by the balanced XLR outputs.

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Stax fever is not going away, so it seems. I am now looking for used ones for trying them out with less risk. Any suggestions for an affordable amp to go with ADI-2 DAC?

Forman

I have the SR-2020 Lamda (old version with toshiba JFET input and pro bias).

Tried with Squeezebox Touch, Behringer UCA202. a DIY DAC based on CS4398 / CS8416 and the Nevion DAC-AES8.
Sqeezebox Touch - Surprisingly good. Very neutral and balanced sound.
Behringer : Bright, flat and lacking low freqs.
DIY DAC : Eh... the poor DAC was more or less worn down from constant development. BUT IIRC the combination of SPDIF input (instead of USB) and OPA627 output buffer was pretty fun. Almost wanted to dance.
Nevion DAC - Very good match. Open and lots of details without sounding bright. Very low freq. is clear as day but never boomy.

I have tried lots of DACs, streamers etc, but so far none matches the Nevion. The guy behind the design is an odd duck, but he has savant like abilities when it comes to EE. Hes the man behind most of the Nevion product line.

If you happen to stumble upon one, I can easily recommend it. Its not targeted at hifi enthusiasts so there is no snake oil, no fancy enclosure and no inflated prices. I have seen it around $200, but im not sure if thats with or without the Flashlink backplate, box and PSU.

Top Bottom